Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Cashmere

Seeking bootleg recommendations for 1970 and Europe 1973

Hi folks,

I have recently started to collect some Zeppelin bootleg CD's and I am hoping for some recommendations to fill some of the gaps as follows:

1. Like many here, I have the 2003 DVD which of course features the Royal Albert Hall concert from 1970 but does not feature the Long Tall Sally encore. I know there's an absolute plethora of CD releases of this show, so I'd like to buy one which not only includes Long Tall Sally but also includes the band introduction as they take the stage. Sound quality is important of course, although I would imagine most CD titles of this show have excellent sound.

2. I'd like to buy another CD of another 1970 performance, preferably a full show in decent sound quality and also from the earlier part of 1970 with We're Gonna Groove as the opener. Decent boots from 1970 seem to be thin on the ground- is Royal Albert Hall the only soundboard show from 1970 available? If so, I would gladly buy a good audience recording of a full show.

3. I'd like to buy a CD of a full show from the 1973 European Tour- what do people suggest as the 'go to' here? I know this tour is extremely highly regarded by Zeppelin fans.

Where possible I would try to buy full shows, either SB or very good/excellent audience recordings. It's nice to get releases which have nice packaging but it's not necessarily the most important thing to me. I know I've included a lot of info here so I would be very grateful for even one recommendation from anyone kind enough to share their knowledge. Thanks in advance. 

1. Jimmy's Birthday is a cheap re issue from Empress Valley and offers all you need.  Other affordable alternatives on Godfather and Moonchild are out of print.
  2. Montreux is the way to go for a truly excellent quality spring 70 show. Empress Valley's expensive The Great Beast' has the stunning AUD recording and the the final reel from the mixing desk (probably from Claude Nobs' vast archive). Eat a Peach released a nice mid price 4CD as well, but is also hard to find.
  3. Offenburg (No Label) and the recent stereo Matrix from Vienna (empress and No Label) are the best sounding European 1973 shows. Hamburg 73 is also exceptional but only 47 minutes are available from a fragmentary SB  recording. The Hamburg AUD recording is OK.  IF you are completely Euro 73  converted, then there is no reason to skip Munich, Essen, Berlin as well.

2 hours ago, Cashmere said:

Hi folks,

I have recently started to collect some Zeppelin bootleg CD's and I am hoping for some recommendations to fill some of the gaps as follows:

1. Like many here, I have the 2003 DVD which of course features the Royal Albert Hall concert from 1970 but does not feature the Long Tall Sally encore. I know there's an absolute plethora of CD releases of this show, so I'd like to buy one which not only includes Long Tall Sally but also includes the band introduction as they take the stage. Sound quality is important of course, although I would imagine most CD titles of this show have excellent sound.

2. I'd like to buy another CD of another 1970 performance, preferably a full show in decent sound quality and also from the earlier part of 1970 with We're Gonna Groove as the opener. Decent boots from 1970 seem to be thin on the ground- is Royal Albert Hall the only soundboard show from 1970 available? If so, I would gladly buy a good audience recording of a full show.

3. I'd like to buy a CD of a full show from the 1973 European Tour- what do people suggest as the 'go to' here? I know this tour is extremely highly regarded by Zeppelin fans.

Where possible I would try to buy full shows, either SB or very good/excellent audience recordings. It's nice to get releases which have nice packaging but it's not necessarily the most important thing to me. I know I've included a lot of info here so I would be very grateful for even one recommendation from anyone kind enough to share their knowledge. Thanks in advance. 

Get yourself a Dime account, fill yer boots for free. Btw, Albert Hall is a multi track, not a soundboard.

Edited by JTM

5 hours ago, duckman said:
  1. Jimmy's Birthday is a cheap re issue from Empress Valley and offers all you need.  Other affordable alternatives on Godfather and Moonchild are out of print.
  2. Montreux is the way to go for a truly excellent quality spring 70 show. Empress Valley's expensive The Great Beast' has the stunning AUD recording and the the final reel from the mixing desk (probably from Claude Nobs' vast archive). Eat a Peach released a nice mid price 4CD as well, but is also hard to find.
  3. Offenburg (No Label) and the recent stereo Matrix from Vienna (empress and No Label) are the best sounding European 1973 shows. Hamburg 73 is also exceptional but only 47 minutes are available from a fragmentary SB  recording. The Hamburg AUD recording is OK.  IF you are completely Euro 73  converted, then there is no reason to skip Munich, Essen, Berlin as well.

Also Stoke is a good show and Southampton from 1973. Don't discount them because (apparently) we are not in Europe any more ;)

Edited by chillumpuffer

I'd second the Montreux show except that the balance on existing versions of the "audience" portion of the show are all mixed up (i.e. Robert's in the right channel and Jimmy's in the center.) I'm going to fix that in an upcoming Stereo Project release, so I'd hold off on it for now. Instead, I'd go with the April 8th, 1970 show in Raleigh. I have EV's "World Champion Drummer", which really captures the weight of Bonzo's kit. Bootledz recommends the No Label version of that show instead, which I haven't heard. Regardless of which version you get, it's a really good early '70 performance captured in a fine audience recording and includes We're Gonna Groove as the opener.

http://www.bootledz.com/mypicks.htm

For 1970, you're also going to want to pick up a version of Blueberry Hill. They'd switched to Immigrant Song as the opener by then, but it's still a classic must have show. Seems like the Nite Owl version is the current crowd favorite.

19 hours ago, duckman said:

Thanks very much for these recommendations, duckman!

18 hours ago, JTM said:

Get yourself a Dime account, fill yer boots for free. Btw, Albert Hall is a multi track, not a soundboard.

Thanks very much for the suggestion JTM, but my boots are already very full with downloaded Zeppelin concert recordings! 😉 I just want to own a few choice Zeppelin bootleg CD's. I find that when I own a physical copy of a recording I am more inclined to sit down, listen to it properly and just give it the attention and respect it deserves. I'm happy to stand corrected on the Royal Albert Hall show being a multi-track recording too. Thanks again.   

14 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Also Stoke is a good show and Southampton from 1973. Don't discount them because (apparently) we are not in Europe any more ;)

Thanks very much for your suggestions, chillumpuffer! 👍

I'd snag a copy of the 3/21/70 Vancouver show. It's a great radio broadcast, about 40 minutes long and in surprisingly good quality. It's an interesting mix with Plant FAR forwards; it's super cool to hear the vocals so far up in the mix, and it fortunately happens to be an awesome Plant show as well. You can check Bootledz for the individual details on the releases, but I'd go with the new Graf Zeppelin version.

On 9/14/2020 at 11:22 AM, SteveZ98 said:

I'm going to fix that in an upcoming Stereo Project release, so I'd hold off on it for now.

This is exciting news! Looking forward to it Steve!

7 hours ago, 1998giventofly said:

I'd snag a copy of the 3/21/70 Vancouver show. It's a great radio broadcast, about 40 minutes long and in surprisingly good quality. It's an interesting mix with Plant FAR forwards; it's super cool to hear the vocals so far up in the mix, and it fortunately happens to be an awesome Plant show as well. You can check Bootledz for the individual details on the releases, but I'd go with the new Graf Zeppelin version.

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

So, before you know it, you'll have almost all the shows.😱 That's what Zeppelin bootlegs are.

55 minutes ago, zen said:

So, before you know it, you'll have almost all the shows.😱 That's what Zeppelin bootlegs are.

Yes, I'll only be about 500 short 🙃 I need to stop soon, I've already spent far more than I should have!

On 9/15/2020 at 6:35 AM, Cashmere said:

Thanks very much for the suggestion JTM, but my boots are already very full with downloaded Zeppelin concert recordings! 😉 I just want to own a few choice Zeppelin bootleg CD's. I find that when I own a physical copy of a recording I am more inclined to sit down, listen to it properly and just give it the attention and respect it deserves.

https://www.wikihow.com/Burn-a-CD