Bath? Stereo Project perhaps?

Jukkin

Mainly a question for SteveZ98 but others here may have an idea. With the new mixes and remasters done by Steve, Nite Owl and others, whereby the technology is here which can make old boots sound so much better, do you think the technology and tools are advanced enough so that something like the Bath recordings could be significantly improved and, if so,  is it something that would be practical to do? We only have quite poor versions of Bath so it would be fantastic to have a decent quality mix and remaster of that date.

15 minutes ago, Jukkin said:

Mainly a question for SteveZ98 but others here may have an idea. With the new mixes and remasters done by Steve, Nite Owl and others, whereby the technology is here which can make old boots sound so much better, do you think the technology and tools are advanced enough so that something like the Bath recordings could be significantly improved and, if so,  is it something that would be practical to do? We only have quite poor versions of Bath so it would be fantastic to have a decent quality mix and remaster of that date.

Already tried it. No meaningful improvement. I do think one day a computer will be able to analyze a show like that and give us a midi track of each instrument and from there we could use samples of the band playing other live shows to recreate the performance. I'm not sure how far out in the future that is, but I think it's our best chance to resurrect poor sounding audience recordings. I know some of that technology already exists in simple form (e.g. listening to a guitar play and identifying the chords.) I haven't looked into it recently so maybe it's more advanced than last time I looked. The goal of splitting a mono recording into stereo tracks was a pipe dream for a long time and now it's available at the push of a button, so we may be closer to the midi thing than I realize. 

2 minutes ago, godzilla777 said:

How about 6/21/77? It's a great recording already. Maybe just a little clearer?

Tried that one, too. It sounds different, but not really better than the original. I also tried 9/4/70 and some other famous audience recordings as well. Same thing happened. The problem is that each of them has a basic sound that is "baked" into them.  I can make them sound different, but making them sound significantly better is difficult. And it's not just audience recordings either. I have the same issue with the 1980 soundboards. I can make them sound a little better, but not enough to make it worth the work I put into each release. I will definitely keep trying with the 7/7/80 show for sentimental reasons though, but the past few times I worked on it did not yield anything promising. I pick up new tools occasionally, so maybe one of them will help. Or I'll learn some new technique that can make a noticeable improvement. 

Thanks Steve. It's good to know that you're pressing on with remastering and remixing. No good waiting on Jimmy! Reading the articles on the Garden Tapes site they show just how meticulous and nit-picking Jimmy is when he remasters live releases (all four of them, wow! - Royal Albert Hall and Paris included). Probably take him about 5 years to do 1975-05-24 or 25 so they're not going to happen unless he finally decides he can delegate. 1971-09-29 and 1977-06-07 are fantastic releases by you so knowing there's probably some more to come cheers me up no end when releases have generally dried up so much. Great work man and really appreciated.

Edited by Jukkin

12 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Already tried it. No meaningful improvement. I do think one day a computer will be able to analyze a show like that and give us a midi track of each instrument and from there we could use samples of the band playing other live shows to recreate the performance. I'm not sure how far out in the future that is, but I think it's our best chance to resurrect poor sounding audience recordings. I know some of that technology already exists in simple form (e.g. listening to a guitar play and identifying the chords.) I haven't looked into it recently so maybe it's more advanced than last time I looked. The goal of splitting a mono recording into stereo tracks was a pipe dream for a long time and now it's available at the push of a button, so we may be closer to the midi thing than I realize. 

Thought about the same couple of weeks ago. With the current evolution of technologies and soft very likely computer will be able to recreate +/- normal (=soundboard) sound of audience tapes using studio and other live recording as a basis.

Edited by goodstudent

16 minutes ago, goodstudent said:

Thought about the same couple of weeks ago. With the current evolution of technologies and soft very likely computer will be able to recreate +/- normal (=soundboard) sound of audience tapes using studio and other live recording as a basis.

Bath is beyond hope,  the technology to fix it will likely never exist, it's way too bad. Shame really, it's a nice show.

Edited by JTM

33 minutes ago, JTM said:

Bath is beyond hope,  the technology to fix it will likely never exist, it's way too bad. Shame really, it's a nice show.

I was a computer programmer for much of my career so I may have too much faith in technology, but I really think there will be a solution for shows like Bath. I'm not sure how long it will take, but things move quicker than you might expect. Although it's obviously a different situation, here's an image showing how fast computers evolved in their ability to create human faces from scratch. The group of black and white pictures on the left were generated in 2014 and the two color ones on the right were done in 2018. ai_face_generation.0.jpg

Here's the full article on how the faces were created for anyone who's interested:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/17/18144356/ai-image-generation-fake-faces-people-nvidia-generative-adversarial-networks-gans

On 9/26/2020 at 7:27 AM, JTM said:

I don't think this is true. Someday AI will be able to analyze each and every note played and then with parameters set for the way Zep set up their equipment combined with specs of venue will recreate the overall sound of the concert like a reproduction. All distortions will be gone because the computer is virtually RE-playing the concert and with future holographic technology we could even see the Bath concert almost as if it was real. AI will use all know footage and recreate the video as well. It could be pretty good if it ever happens.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:41 PM, godzilla777 said:

How about 6/21/77? It's a great recording already. Maybe just a little clearer?

There was a fresh transfer of this show posted on Dime this weekend. "The Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Tapes Volume 50".  It sounds fantastic.

Edited by CliffHydro