Old Grey Whistle Test

minah149

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Old Grey Whistle Test show that Jimmy Page did with Roy Harper in 1984? I have the album and have heard Roy Harper do some of those songs live (he was really very good) but I'd like to hear them live together. Anyone know?

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Old Grey Whistle Test show that Jimmy Page did with Roy Harper in 1984? I have the album and have heard Roy Harper do some of those songs live (he was really very good) but I'd like to hear them live together. Anyone know?

You'll find it on YouTube. I'll see if I can get you a link.............

I have the broadcast archived to dvd-r if the You Tube link is down. It's quite possibly my favorite all-time Page interview. He doesn't say much, but it's how he says it while sporting the scruffiest haircut in rock, tall black boots and a brown bomber jacket. Roy is semi-lucid.

I have the broadcast archived to dvd-r if the You Tube link is down. .

I think it is - I can't find it right now, so he may need your help Mr Jones.

I'd say they were both semi-lucid, and it amuses me that Roy tries to answer all of Jimmy's questions for him - and gets it spectacularly wrong.

One of my all time fave bits of film, ever.

I had downloaded the youtube links and burned them to CD. I just dropped those files into photobucket, but I think that the videos truncated. Until you can get a better and complete copy, you can view these (and, yes, I messed up on the numbering). Jimmy is in fine form here, IMO. I think they should be viewed in this order:

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/M...rrent=JPRH0.flv

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/M...urrent=JPRH.flv

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/M...rrent=JPRH2.flv

You will need a .flv viewer in order to watch and you can download that free via Firefox.

Thanks MSG! Never saw those interviews, but that is a priceless Page interview. The thing I took most from it is Page saying, with Roy overstepping, "The best is the next." I dig that line.

Thanks MSG! Never saw those interviews, but that is a priceless Page interview. The thing I took most from it is Page saying, with Roy overstepping, "The best is the next." I dig that line.

You're welcome, Solar. It is priceless, isn't it? And what a great quote! I always thought that Jimmy under the influence was still many steps ahead of the rest of us.

Roy Harper blamed their lack of mental clarity on something they had ingested from Jimmy's personal medicine chest. The tension between them and Mark Ellen just oozes in surliness. It's classic.

They didn't get on well with Mark Ellen to begin with and when they caught him filming the INTRO to the segment AFTER the interview from further down the side of Scarfell Pike out of earshot they were further displeased but Mark laughed it off.

I never rated Mark Ellen as an interviewer before he did that one with them.

Twas funny to see the first time it was shown, making it seem like he'd stumbled across a couple of old hippies playing folk music in the middle of the lake district.:D

Thank you!

I noticed during the interview at one point that the interviewer asked Jimmy Page about Led Zeppelin and Roy Harper answered over the top of him. The second song they played I saw Roy Harper play in a show in 1999.

BTW, how does one download things on YouTube and burn onto CD-ROM? I've always wondered how that's done (and would I ever have fun if I could do it!).

Again, thank you!

I never rated Mark Ellen as an interviewer before he did that one with them.

Twas funny to see the first time it was shown, making it seem like he'd stumbled across a couple of old hippies playing folk music in the middle of the lake district.:D

Yes I remember it too and later on Page in an interview said that they wanted to take them all the way up the top to knacker them out before the interview such was the disdain to 80' pop interviewers, I remember Ellen interviewing Plant on the same show I think a few years before, He was kinda arrogant (Ellen that is). Though I think I read somewhere that Ellem plays SIBLY every week and thinks the song is awsome "!!

Thank you!

I noticed during the interview at one point that the interviewer asked Jimmy Page about Led Zeppelin and Roy Harper answered over the top of him. The second song they played I saw Roy Harper play in a show in 1999.

BTW, how does one download things on YouTube and burn onto CD-ROM? I've always wondered how that's done (and would I ever have fun if I could do it!).

Again, thank you!

Minah149, I used to have a little add-on, a free download from Firefox, that let me download Youtube videos. When Youtube was purchased by Google, though, the video downloader was disabled so I don't have a current method to share with you. Someone else might know of another way to do it.

Wow , i luved this broadcast , i used to have it on a VHS tape from when it was shown but i can't find it for love nor money , must have got lost when i moved house :(

Anyway nice to see it again , B)

Wow , i luved this broadcast , i used to have it on a VHS tape from when it was shown but i can't find it for love nor money , must have got lost when i moved house :(

Anyway nice to see it again , B)

I used to have it on VHS too! My VHS tapes are long gone - and so is this interview so I'm glad someone put it up on Youtube - it's priceless.

Yeah , have to agree , it's the thing i miss most from the stuff i used to / have on VHS :(

Wern't videos poo , some of the stuff i have thats great is almost unwatchable now ! :angry:

Yep. They didn't last very long did they? I had some great stuff that is gone forever b/c the video tape degraded so badly.

Minah149, I used to have a little add-on, a free download from Firefox, that let me download Youtube videos. When Youtube was purchased by Google, though, the video downloader was disabled so I don't have a current method to share with you. Someone else might know of another way to do it.

I have something called VEOH that lets you do the same. But I have no idea how to burn those on a DVD.

http://www.veoh.com/

I have something called VEOH that lets you do the same. But I have no idea how to burn those on a DVD.

http://www.veoh.com/

Thanks for the link! I don't burn onto DVD b/c I don't have a program for it. I can burn the YouTube .flv files on my hard drive right onto a CD and they play back on any PC that has the .flv player.

Thanks for the link! I don't burn onto DVD b/c I don't have a program for it. I can burn the YouTube .flv files on my hard drive right onto a CD and they play back on any PC that has the .flv player.

I never thought of trying to do this. And I'm always trying to find ways to save YouTube videos. :rolleyes: I wonder if the Roxio program I use for burning DVDs would let me do that? (And after I got it I discovered there are several good free DVD-burning programs out there.)

• 2 months later...

I am repicking up some of this older stuff as a kid posted this afternoonl said he was a new Zep fan and was learning and had not gone to far into the forum yet, so may some of the newbies benefit from some of the great hidden stuff on this site !

Archived