Wanton Song '75 FM Broadcast

zepncrowes

I have a bootleg (Physically Present I believe----EDIT: actually it is "complete studio outtakes volume 9") where there is an FM broadcast of a live version of the Wanton Song. It certainly sounds like it is, and not a studio outtake, though I could be mistaken. But my question is where/when was this recorded, and is there any more to the broadcast?

Seems strange they would go through the trouble of setting it up and only play a single song.

Anyone have any info?

It was a leaked outtake by Eddie Kramer to that radio station. All credit to nech over at R-O, for his post from October:

I did extensive research on this and posted up my findings up on FBO about 3.5 years ago. I did eventually hear back from Eddie Kramer, but it was just to thank me for visiting his archives and a plug for his pictures.

That was right about at the time that he was being 'sued' by the Zep camp from selling any of his alt take reels on , oh I forget what big rock auction house it was, so I think he didn't want to talk about any of it.

Here are my posts:

In my non stop quest to make FBO the premiere information outlet for intrepid travelers of the great Led Zeppelin's flight path I have took it upon myself to spend the last week or so researching the origins of the infamous WLIR broadcast of "The Wanton Song."

Some inforamtion that may surprise you so sit down, open up a can/bottle/baggie of your favorite mind relaxant and check this out.

First off let me begin by stating that I have known it till now that this was broadcast in Jan of 75 before the release of Physical Graffitti. Somehow that didn't sit well with me because as you listen to the DJ as the song trails off and he says " " This is WLIR 92.7 , And that was Led Zeppelin ...You said 'yeah, it sounded almost right but not quite right' well that was an alternate take of the Wanton Song with..." I says to myself, " Yo Nech...now how would anyone know it dosen't sound quite right if they never heard it before?!?!?"

My following exchange of emails sheds new light on this and the parties involved.

>> I recall the version you mention but my time at WLIR was after the switch to

>> "new music" and Zep was not one of the bands who's catalog I removed from

>> the studio to become part of my own. I thought I had all the Zep recordings

>> already (stupid me).

>>

>> I suspect it was part of the ultra sonic studio recordings but I'm not sure.

>>

>> Denis might know.....but Sue, Will, Steve, Famous Bob all came after the

>> switch.

>>

>> I'll ask Denis when next we speak. You may wish to contact Ray XXXXX who was

>> there then....also Larry XXXXXXXXXX. I'll need to remember the others who

>> were on the air back then.

>> Regards,

>> Scott aka DJ Bird

>

>

> Hi Nech, I'm not going to be able to help you much. I wasn't there until the end of '76. Try Denis XXXXXXXXXX over at Universal Music in NYC or Ben XXXXXXX at XXXXXXXXXX Productions here in San Francisco. Also Danny Busch was at Zep's label (Atlantic) back then(he still is!). We had a good relationship with him. Take care and good luck on your search. Sincerely, Ray XXXXX KKSF San Francisco

> Dear Nech,

>

> Your search has ended.

>

> The alternate take was given to me by Eddie Kramer, Producer/engineer extraordinaire who - as you undoubtedly know - was the technician behind all the first Zep LP's.

>

> I became friendly with Eddie and had him on my program at WLIR any number of times. He told incredible stories about the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, Kiss, Woodstock, Led Zep and even Twister Sister.

>

> Last I heard, Eddie lived in Westchester. Every now and then I see his name pop up on CD credits so I'm pretty sure he's still active.

> Track down Eddie Kramer and you'll be able to get the ultimate word on the Wanton Song.

>

> So maybe your search hasn't ended...

>

> Best,

> Ben

> I did a quick search of tapes readily available and do not see it. So I fear it's lost in storage somewhere.

>

> One other thing, your date of 1975 is incorrect. I worked at LIR from 76 to 84. I would say Eddie started coming around in the 1979-81 period.

>

> Best

> B

So there you have it folks!!! Some new info for you to digest.

I am waiting to hear back from Eddie Kramer in reply to my letter to him.

Amazing what some kindly worded emails can get you!

Swimming in the Ocean!

Nech

It was a leaked outtake by Eddie Kramer to that radio station. All credit to nech over at R-O, for his post from October:

True enough, although I recall Nech originally broke the news within his own forum, For Badgeholders Only, The Led Zeppelin Mailing List quite some time ago.

True enough, although I recall Nech originally broke the news within his own forum, For Badgeholders Only, The Led Zeppelin Mailing List quite some time ago.

Thanks, Steve. It's been ages since I was on FBO (literally, about 10 years).

Somewhere around 1978 or 79 I taped a version of Wanton Song off the radio, but it was from WPLJ not WLIR. It is definitely not the version that is on Physically Present. The DJ's that usually played it, either Carol Miller or Tony Pigg, also said it was a studio outtake. For years I searched for it on a boot but never found it anywhere. Maybe there's somebody else from the NY/LI area who remembers this too?

This is an info that will be useful for you folks where's this version can be found as for now:

JANUARY 1 - WLIR 92.7 RADIO BROADCAST, WESTBURY, NEW YORK (WEDNESDAY)

Recording Includes: The Wanton Song (alternate take).

Source: Complete very good to excellent professional FM broadcast recording. 5 minutes.

Details: This is a leaked outtake by Eddie Kramer to that radio station.

Bootleg CD Reference(s): Alternative Graffiti (Celebration Definitive Masters), Brutal Artistry (Midas Touch), Graffiti Sessions (Real Dragon CD-R), Sessions (Antrabata Reference Master), & Studio Sessions Ultimate (Scorpio)

I'm listening to it on Brutal Artistry as I type. Quality is fair at best, sound is muffled. But it IS being played live, definitely sounds like a radio broadcast.

I've had this boot for 8 years, but I totally forgot about this cut! Thanks for the reminder. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

A new version of this in much more pristine sound quality has surfaced recently, and it's a fantastic outtake. Sounds a lot more like a live studio take the more I hear it.

And an advanced word of advice - don't post any links in here for it ;)

A new version of this in much more pristine sound quality has surfaced recently, and it's a fantastic outtake. Sounds a lot more like a live studio take the more I hear it.

And an advanced word of advice - don't post any links in here for it ;)

thanks, buzz kill!

i reckon the rules keep us from total anarchy...

• 5 years later...

helppp... i just got my ass kicked listening to this version of the Wanton Song, because it hit me sooooo hard.

What the hell? Zeppelin rocked my socks off after listening to this ONE TIME. One of the best latter days performances, hands down.

ooh my ears, man!

Does this ring any bells?

Edited to add: This "Wanton Song" is definitely a live version. Probably off some bootleg from either Brussels, Belgium or Chicago or Indianapolis 1975. Not a great sounding recording but with only about 3 - 5 available live versions Led Zeppelin played of this song, I will take it any day.

That and the same sound quality of "When the Levee Breaks" from these same cities.

and

http://youtu.be/7VvyXIz9JrQ

Edited to add: This "Wanton Song" is definitely a live version. Probably off some bootleg from either Brussels, Belgium or Chicago or Indianapolis 1975. Not a great sounding recording but with only about 3 - 5 available live versions Led Zeppelin played of this song, I will take it any day.

It is definitely not a live version -- you can hear the overdubs during the guitar solo (duelling guitars). It's an earlier, mostly stripped-down mix.

EDIT: An upgraded/alternate version of the broadcast was released wide in 2008, but it does not appear to be on YouTube. It is much clearer than the other bootlegged version.

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya...the anti-Robert faction trying to cover up his changing voice! :P

Nah.... :shifty:

This recording is very interesting. If anyone is still doubting that this is a studio recording, listen during the solo - there's rhythm guitar behind it.

This is the version I have now.

I too being from the NYC area originally heard this on WLIR back in the late 70's/early 80's, just before the station went to an New Wave/Alternative format. So after this, Zeppelin was basically out. I heard this on a one hour Led Zeppelin special, probably at night. How I know, is that I taped the whole program on a cassette, when I heard it air. Not sure if I still have this tape as it's been many years since, I listened to it. This version of "The Wanton Song" was played as well as some other Zeppelin related rarities. That was the real gem of the show and would be the only reason to save this broadcast and besides I got a better quality of that version, some years ago.

Other stuff on this program included, such as Screeming Lord Sutch's "Thumping Beat", The Yardbird's (from the Anderson Theater) "Dazed and Confused". I think the bulk of this show was pre-Zeppelin stuff and sort of unknown studio sessions some of the guys played on. Haven't listened to this tape in years. Wanton Song was the only rarity played during the show. But the quoted commentary, by the WLIR dj, mentioned by Solar in post #2, is the same that's on my tape. .

This is the version I have now.

I too being from the NYC area originally heard this on WLIR back in the late 70's/early 80's, just before the station went to an New Wave/Alternative format. So after this, Zeppelin was basically out. I heard this on a one hour Led Zeppelin special, probably at night. How I know, is that I taped the whole program on a cassette, when I heard it air. Not sure if I still have this tape as it's been many years since, I listened to it. This version of "The Wanton Song" was played as well as some other Zeppelin related rarities. That was the real gem of the show and would be the only reason to save this broadcast and besides I got a better quality of that version, some years ago.

Other stuff on this program included, such as Screeming Lord Sutch's "Thumping Beat", The Yardbird's (from the Anderson Theater) "Dazed and Confused". I think the bulk of this show was pre-Zeppelin stuff and sort of unknown studio sessions some of the guys played on. Haven't listened to this tape in years. Wanton Song was the only rarity played during the show. But the quoted commentary, by the WLIR dj, mentioned by Solar in post #2, is the same that's on my tape. .

...Lemme know if you find that tape. :D

It's good to finally hear this song. I guess everything is on YouTube these days, more so than even a few years ago. These days artists leak songs on the Internet, to create buzz and get songs to fans. That version of wanton song,was a cool song to make it to fm radio back then.

These days artists leak songs on the Internet, to create buzz and get songs to fans.

Does it count as a "leak" if the artist does it?

Here's hoping we have an outtake similar to this, if not the same, on the PG box.

Archived