Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
John M

Song Transitions on the Studio Albums

I searched for this topic and could not find it so here goes.  Zeppelin had some amazing song transitions on the studio albums.  I have always been fascinated by them.  I am thinking about the transitions with little or no space between songs.  There are many great transitions due to song order, but in many cases there is some silence at the end of one track and or at the beginning of the next, which can lessen the impact.  I am focusing on those transitions with little or no gap at all.

Here is a list of my favorite such transitions.  How about you?  Other favorite studio transitions?

Black Mountain Side - Communication Breakdown breathtaking, abrupt transition

I Can't Quit You Baby - How Many More Times    seamless flow but the musical mood changes

Lemon Song - Thank You  - a fade out into fade in, from ominous to beautiful

Heartbreaker - Living Loving Maid - well, obviously

Moby Dick - Bring it on Home - seamless transition

Friends - Celebration Day  - all based on a studio accident?  Love that spiraling "airplane" sound

Boogie with Stu - Black Country Woman - laughing into talking

Nobody's Fault - Candy Store Rock  - from one abrupt ending into an abrupt start.  I always thought Nobody's Fault was one of the great Zeppelin song endings, like a black hole collapsing in on itself.   

the best one PERIOD is Going To California When The Levee Breaks. It completely typifies the light and Heavy aspect of Led Zeppelin's music. 

Custard Pie into The Rover is epic. The opener of the great double album must have flawed all who bought it and then the intro to the Rover hits and you knew that album was NOT going to disappoint.