David Coverdale on Coverdale/Page album anniversary / possible release in 2023

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

David Coverdale interview:

Have you any further news on the Coverdale Page album being reissued? 
Well, my time with Jimmy was amazing. We spoke a couple of weeks ago, in fact, I'm probably going to speak to him this weekend. I think we're probably going to be looking at an anniversary issue in '23. What would that be; 20th? THIRTY?! Fucking hell! As my wife would say; "how old ARE YOU?!" [Laughing].

Have you any idea what an anniversary edition might include?
Yeah, I think you're in for some nice surprises. Jimmy and I have been talking about it, and he's isolated out in the country, so we just have to make sure, because I'm not getting on a fucking plane, and I certainly don't expect him to! We'll have the original album remastered, and we've got a bunch of songs we didn't release, and I videoed most of the writing and recording scenario, and all the way to the shows in Osaka and stuff, so, there's a shit load of content, but one of the things I suggested to him, I said; "why don't you do a Jimmy Page mix on the record, and I'll do a David Coverdale mix, and let the fans just get Jimmy's perspective, and mine".

You seem to look back over that period very fondly.
It was a great relationship with Jimmy. The lawyers were furious; they thought they were going to make a bunch of money negotiating this and that, and Jimmy and I just met in New York, shook hands and said everything's 50/50. And we did that like Lennon / McCartney without the bitterness! [laughing].

https://www.eonmusic.co.uk/david-coverdale-whitesnake-eonmusic-interview-october-2020-part-1.html

1 hour ago, Paimonus Rex said:

Coverdale's 'Battle of the Mixes' sounds interesting...Just with the short snips of video that's been made available while they were at Coverdale's home leads me to believe that he drove the majority of the material with JPP adding flair and flash.

I suspect Jimmy had a big bag of riffs he'd been developing for a second solo record, and he fit them to various vocal melodies then Coverdale wrote the lyrics. I genuinely believe it was 50/50 rather than Coverdale driving it.

Interesting that they're talking though, and recently. Come on Jimmy, here's your project for lockdown 2!

Thanks, Sam. It's interesting he alludes to remastering as there's been some speculation as to if the C/P master tapes were destroyed in the UMG fire. I don't recall a definitive answer being provided.

Presumably, even if the masters were destroyed a back up exists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/magazine/universal-music-fire-bands-list-umg.html   

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lately I'm listening very often to this great album, which is my favorite of Page's post Led Zeppelin.

From the first time I listened to it I felt that Jimmy was inspired by 'Speed King' for 'Absolution Blues'.

Obviously besides the main riff, there is also a very similar part:

min 3:56

min 4:00

• 1 month later...

Wow. So, today's the day. 30 years ago today I walked into the local branch of Woolworths and bought a copy of Coverdale Page on its day of release. I'd heard Pride and Joy on an advance sampler that came with Q Magazine, so I felt confident that I was in for a treat. And so it proved, as the first seconds of Page shaking his tree shot out of the speakers, followed by such treats as the solo on Don't Leave Me This Way, the crunch guitar in the last minutes of Whisper a Prayer for the Dying and the slightly ethereal Easy Does It were to follow. It was a landmark listening experience for me then, and it remains a favourite now. Wonderful stuff, showcasing some of the best guitar from Page since, ooh, at least Spirit of Love by The Firm, and some of the best vocals from Coverdale - two of my favourite artists.

Has anyone heard anything more about an anniversay reissue?

Over the last few years David Coverdale was really making it known that he wanted a 30th anniversary box set. My big question is is it really asking too much for Jimmy Page to respond at least once about it? Even a negative response would be much much better than silence. What is wrong?

I would love a remix of this album. Just sounds flat to me. Very dated. I guess a new cover would be too much to ask? I think it came out at the wrong time. Page will always be a draw but 1993 was when albums were starting to sound raw and this album sounds like a Whikesnake production. Plus I know I was sick of Coverdale by that point. The cheesy videos in constant rotation and I was done with him for awhile. Although I can tell its Page but he didn't have a guitar sound as good as even Led Zep I and that was recorded barebones. Jimmy should have taken the lead on that.

Edited by KirkD777

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 1:05 AM, KirkD777 said:

I would love a remix of this album. Just sounds flat to me. Very dated. I guess a new cover would be too much to ask? I think it came out at the wrong time. Page will always be a draw but 1993 was when albums were starting to sound raw and this album sounds like a Whikesnake production. Plus I know I was sick of Coverdale by that point. The cheesy videos in constant rotation and I was done with him for awhile. Although I can tell its Page but he didn't have a guitar sound as good as even Led Zep I and that was recorded barebones. Jimmy should have taken the lead on that.

Agree. Sounds tinny to me. Didn’t like the production

Sounds like a lot of excuses. CDs are still outselling vinyl in total sales of actual items or product. Vinyl is only “outselling” CDs, if you consider the total price of vinyl versus the price of CDs. One can spin It (no pun intended) any way they want.  If major retailers (like Best Buy, Target or Walmart) don’t want to carry CDs or only carry CDs of artists and / or bands that don’t sell on that format (rap, new pop, etc), then it sounds like they’re trying to sabotage the format. Everyone knows CDs are portable, digital, don’t warp and don’t scratch as easily as vinyl.  Sounds like JP put the project to rest and DC is trying to save face for bringing up the idea 3+ years ago.  It’s too bad, as the deluxe reissue would have been worth (especially if it included rehearsals, unreleased songs, b-sides, live tracks and / or a blu ray concert (if included).

R😎

Edited by reids