What are your favourite live Plant vocal highlights?

SilverVishnu

I was struck recently just how well Plant is singing at 59 - after smoking for decades, treating his voice a bit recklessly - the O2 show really was a solid vocal night.

Anyway, what are your favourite little live vocal highlights of Plant in Zepp? The whole of the 1971-05-03 Copenhagen show is one I really love.

wow this is a toughy of course cuz there are so many!!

but one i love is the improv where he goes something like "ya remember how to laugh don't you"

PS just remembered "Does anyone remember laughter!"

Anyway, what are your favourite little live vocal highlights of Plant in Zepp? The whole of the 1971-05-03 Copenhagen show is one I really love.

His vocals on Nobody's Fault But Mine during the famous Knebworth show and Train Kept a Rollin from one of the 80' tour (I forget which night) are two of my favorites.

I'll never forget when I him at MSG on his first solo tour in 83 or 84... after the show was over and the lights came up, they kept playing a recording of him singing "m-m-m-MY! M-m-MY!" and people stopped leaving, started shouting and going nuts. How many singers can drive a crowd wild doing just that?

32793-2.jpg

I have to agree with Mattmc1973 in reagrds to the wail "LLLLLOOOOOOOVVVVVEEE" at the end of WLL, but my moment was when I saw him do it in person on the "Mighty Rearranger" tour ( Oakland's Paramount Theatre). It was amazing, and that word doesn't do it justice, sonic magic...in filled me up, danced in my bones and exploded out the top of my head....I'll never forget it.

my favorite of all time is "Since I've Been Loving You" from Blueberry Hill when he hits that satanic sounding second verse:

"I BEEN WORRKIN, I BEEN WORRKIN, AHH, SEVEN TO ELEVEN EVERY NIIIGHT KINDA MAAKES LII-IIFE A DRA-AG, DRA-AG, DRA-AG, DRA-AG, DRA-AG, DRA-AG, THAAT AIIN'T RIIIIGHT!

His vocals are pretty much top-shelf during this whole performance. Probably why its a classic.

• 2 weeks later...

Too many great moments, after all, he defined what a rock vocalist should be. But if I had to pick a spot, it would be in the last half of the studio version of the Rain Song: "Woooo-oooo, yeah-ayeah eeeyeah-aeeeyeah!"

More stylish than acrobatic, but an iconic moment in the history of rock none the less....! B)

This is weird but I had a Destroyer Boot Cleveland 77 and his vocal during a line in Going to California was wicked with an effect during the line "I'll meet you up there where the path runs straight and hiiiiiiiiiiiiighiiiiiighiiiigh (something like that ). The part where he sings "high" had some reverb effect that was quite cool. Might I add I was also high at the time :).

The really high notes he hit in black dog at knebworth.

When he screams out "I SAID I'VE BEEN CRYIN YEAH!" during the late 1970 American tour. Yeah that's the shit!

When he didn't get lazy in 1971 in black dog when he sang "Hey Hey Mama said the way you move, gunna make you sweat, gunna make you groove" sometimes he got lazy on the gunna make you sweat part.

Allthough not strictly "live" in a gig, his beautiful humming (during the 1971 studio rehearsals) in the solo part of stairway over acoustic guitar chords and electric piano is breathtaking, such a simple and powerful melody.

• 2 months later...

Would just like to bring this thread back as I think there's a lot more Plant admirers can give. Also would like to add that the 1970-03-07 Montreux gig is great, he has the high notes all there but also the power (as in tone of his voice) that defined his style, some of which was lost even later that year.

Would just like to bring this thread back as I think there's a lot more Plant admirers can give. Also would like to add that the 1970-03-07 Montreux gig is great, he has the high notes all there but also the power (as in tone of his voice) that defined his style, some of which was lost even later that year.

Yeah, and his voice in 1971 at the same venue was insane too.

Archived