Eric Clapton

JethroTull

I dig 70's Clapton. Derek and the Dominos, plus all the records that followed. The solo LP's beginning with the 461 Ocean Boulevard contain some great stuff. It was a period when Clapton was at his happiest musically. It was also his longest period of time with the same musicians, Carl Radle, Jamie Oldaker, Dick Sims, George Terry, Marcy Levy and Yvonne Ellimon. Dang, I remembered all those names by memory.

Man, I just dont get it. Here is a thread started by Jethro Tull and its about Clapton? Well anyway, Id rather talk about Tull than clapton. I love Tull, (Ian Anderson) saw him in rochester ny back in the day and he was nothing short of fabulous. My question is, what is the guitarists name that does the classic lead in Aqualung? (one of the all time classics) I used to know this but have forgotten. As for Clapton, sure he is great. In fact I have listed him reluctantly as number two of all time behind Page only becaue Rhodes and Hendrix in my opinion died before they had enought material to be legitamately placed ahead of Clapton.But as for Tull, he is mentioned far too seldom for his talent.

Man, I just dont get it. Here is a thread started by Jethro Tull and its about Clapton? Well anyway, Id rather talk about Tull than clapton. I love Tull, (Ian Anderson) saw him in rochester ny back in the day and he was nothing short of fabulous. My question is, what is the guitarists name that does the classic lead in Aqualung? (one of the all time classics) I used to know this but have forgotten. As for Clapton, sure he is great. In fact I have listed him reluctantly as number two of all time behind Page only becaue Rhodes and Hendrix in my opinion died before they had enought material to be legitamately placed ahead of Clapton.But as for Tull, he is mentioned far too seldom for his talent.

Martin Barre

Love Eric. Love him. Grew up with him...well, in a sense. My parents have always been BIG Eric fans, and Eric is what I remember hearing the most back in my early days (along with Pink Floyd). Mom and Dad probably would have disowned me if I hadn't developed some level of liking for Eric, haha Layla was pretty much my first real musical love. Sure, I liked New Kids on the Block when I was five or six because I thought Joey McIntyre was a cutie, but that doesn't EVEN count :lol: One day, I just got sucked into that intro and the intensity of it, and that was it...

I will say, though, that Cream-era Eric is my favorite. However, though I may love the man to death, I absolutely abhor Pilgrim.

It was so great to be able to see him with my parents and older sister this summer at Crossroads :yay:

Thanks for the response!! As previously mentioned Tull's guitar player has been Martin Barre since 1969. Now for some Tull/Zep trivia. Did you know that Jimmy Page was watching (and cheering him on) Martin play the Aqualung solo in the studio during the recording session? Zep was recording Zofo and Tull was recording the Aqualung LP in the same studio.

Eric Clapton died in a fiery plane crash in late 1969.

Some people say he survived and continued on with a huge solo career, but those are the same people who've seen Elvis at the gas station.

LOL. I expected at least one reply of this nature. Fair enough. Whenever I read a Claption interview, he never seemed happy in The Yardbirds or Cream.

LOL. I expected at least one reply of this nature. Fair enough. Whenever I read a Claption interview, he never seemed happy in The Yardbirds or Cream.

This is because the musical output in these bands was too good/creative. What most people don't know is that Clapton's happiness increases proportionally to the amount of crap he produces musically. :coffee:

Eric Clapton died in a fiery plane crash in late 1969.

Some people say he survived and continued on with a huge solo career, but those are the same people who've seen Elvis at the gas station.

Yep..... He let his reputation get in the way. What a real waste of talent IMO

Gotta live the blues to play the blues.... :whistling:

All of you who like Derek and the Dominoes, you know that Duane Allman played about half the solos on that album, right? I just mention it because before I knew the ABB very well, I had no idea Duane played that much of it . . .

All of you who like Derek and the Dominoes, you know that Duane Allman played about half the solos on that album, right? I just mention it because before I knew the ABB very well, I had no idea Duane played that much of it . . .

Inintially I had no idea either. I doubt I actually knew he was in the band until the past few years :bagoverhead: But when I caught Layla some time after getting to know the Allmans a little better the light bulb went off...I felt like an idiot for not realizing sooner that the solo over the piano has Duane allllll over it! It's amazing how Duane can go completely unrealized (definitely not unnoticed) for his work with Derek and the Dominoes.

^ my dad got that DVD for Christmas, and I was SO VERY HAPPY watching it! He's so happy while playing Matchbox with Carl and Johnny. :lol:

I love Mr. Eric. Love him lots and lots. I scored Layla on vinyl for $6 yesterday, and was incredibly happy with myself. I love Derek and the Dominoes, obviously, and Layla is one of those songs that you just don't forget. I went through a period of "GAH, I hate old music!" then I realized that I was being a dipshit and ended up with pretty much the opposite viewpoint. Eric's one of the reasons I came out of that rebellious phase. My dad had this tape of all this old sixties music when I was REALLY little, and Sunshine of Your Love was one of the ones that stuck out, and it was one of the songs that pulled me out.

After reading his bio, I dug out my Blind Faith vinyl (it's the only medium in which I own it!) and dear lord, I'm in love. That and the Bluesbreakers are insanely underrated. Everyone loves Cream, and I love Cream just as much as anyone, but MYGOD. Blind Faith and the Bluesbreakers need more love.

It was so great to be able to see him with my parents and older sister this summer at Crossroads :yay:

oh. I see how it is. :angry:

Hey, woman, in that post I wasn't talking about the sentimentality of growing up listening to Eric under the guidance of my awesome roomie!!!! It was super-fun to see Eric with you, too! And your mom and her clogging to Albert Lee :lol: And your brother and his goofy little self! I was so sad when we got split up in our mad rush to the stage when Buddy was about to come out :(

And, ooooooooooh, Blind Faith! Have I not shared with you?! You now understand my excitement when Steve came out!

Inintially I had no idea either. I doubt I actually knew he was in the band until the past few years :bagoverhead: But when I caught Layla some time after getting to know the Allmans a little better the light bulb went off...I felt like an idiot for not realizing sooner that the solo over the piano has Duane allllll over it! It's amazing how Duane can go completely unrealized (definitely not unnoticed) for his work with Derek and the Dominoes.

Most of the songs are in about the same order that they recorded them in. On "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad", the two of them are duelling; and after that, Duane plays almost every lead for the rest of the album!

Most of the songs are in about the same order that they recorded them in. On "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad", the two of them are duelling; and after that, Duane plays almost every lead for the rest of the album!

Didn't know that! God, I haven't heard that song in so long...I guess it's fair to say that Eric lost the duel that time :lol:

He didnt play on the Live At The Filmore album though which is probabley my favourite Clapton related release.

I am afraid Clapton doesn't do anything for me, I find his playing bland !! I did see him at a festival, but I was there to see Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd and Robert Plant !! I haven't heard all his stuff, but smatterings of Blues breakers, Cream, Dominoes and his dreadful 80's and 90's output !! I liked the Yardbirds, but only liked when he left and Jeff and later Jimmy joined.

I know this is a thread to say how good he is but thought I would just put another point of view !!

I dig 70's Clapton. Derek and the Dominos, plus all the records that followed. The solo LP's beginning with the 461 Ocean Boulevard contain some great stuff. It was a period when Clapton was at his happiest musically. It was also his longest period of time with the same musicians, Carl Radle, Jamie Oldaker, Dick Sims, George Terry, Marcy Levy and Yvonne Ellimon. Dang, I remembered all those names by memory.

That was actually a great band. I think out of any of his post-Layla groups they were his best. I saw Clapton with this band and I thought they were really terrific.

Claptons' albums might have been laid back, but his live shows were still great and worth the price of admission.

Regards;

Thanks for the response!! As previously mentioned Tull's guitar player has been Martin Barre since 1969. Now for some Tull/Zep trivia. Did you know that Jimmy Page was watching (and cheering him on) Martin play the Aqualung solo in the studio during the recording session? Zep was recording Zofo and Tull was recording the Aqualung LP in the same studio.

That's a cool bit of information. I didn't look at your profile but, because you say Zofo and not Zoso, I think you must be English.

My favorite Clapton era was when he was with Cream. I didn't mind Derek and the Dominoes either - especially because of the Duane Allman collaboration. I liked Clapton before he was "God".

I have a great deal of respect for Clapton but having been reared on AOR it seemed like he was everywhere: Cream, Derek & the Dominoes, Blind Faith, solo, etc. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hearing a Clapton (or Clapton-related) song. Of course that's through no fault of his own but it didn't stop me from getting a bit burnt out on him. In recent years I've been glad to see him jamming with the likes of Doyle Bramhall II, Derek Trucks and Robert Cray, all of whom have seemed to light a fire under him again. People always seem to hold Clapton up to his past standards (and sometimes, like in the case of one post in this thread: wish him dead) but that is entirely unfair. Yes, perhaps the days of his Hendrix-level playing have long since passed but that's nothing to hold against the man. On any given day he's still one of the most talented guitarists on the planet.

Archived