Eric Clapton

JethroTull

I'm bumping this because I can and I have to say that I found some bootlegs of Blind Faith and it's pretty good stuff. Rehearsals, yeah.

Ignore my last reply Double Necker...The 'Is this a joke' :unsure: ..Irony lost on an Englishman!

Did Eric not use a Firebird on the Wheels of Fire Crossroads&Spoonful?

Not 100% sure.

Anyways, this thread got me pulling out Cream discs. Just listening to Spoonful at Rhode island 4.11.68

The sounds fuckin awful, but still a real treat

The people clapping slowly, yeah. B)

While he changed broken strings...

I've seen Eric 4 times and the last time was in 1990? He was with SRV, I saw them just a week or two before the crash. That is one of my all time fave shows.....just loving Clapton and then when SRV hit the stage to jam with him the place went crazy.

Ahhhh, he's touring with Doyle!! How wonderful! I'll have to check their schedule....

While he changed broken strings...

I've seen Eric 4 times and the last time was in 1990? He was with SRV, I saw them just a week or two before the crash. That is one of my all time fave shows.....just loving Clapton and then when SRV hit the stage to jam with him the place went crazy.

Ahhhh, he's touring with Doyle!! How wonderful! I'll have to check their schedule....

At the Palace ? I saw that one too. I believe he came on and did "Before You Accuse Me" with Eric as an encore. Both were trying to coax Bob Seger on stage to sing.....he was in the front row.

At the Palace ? I saw that one too. I believe he came on and did "Before You Accuse Me" with Eric as an encore. Both were trying to coax Bob Seger on stage to sing.....he was in the front row.

Yes!! OMG, you were there too?! Kewl! Yes, us Michiganders...I've seen Bob a few times too, he always gave a good show :)

Yes!! OMG, you were there too?! Kewl! Yes, us Michiganders...I've seen Bob a few times too, he always gave a good show :)

Ya know what? I'm don't remember stuff too well :) I actually believe it was the Silverdome. I do remember SRV not only joining Eric for a couple of songs but also jamming some of his own....my seats weren't that good (memba how huge that place is/was?) but I could see the sweat flying off SRV's face...he did the playing behind his head stuff and everything....it was a good show Bong Man :D

Hi Medhb, how are you?

Do you know if there's some DVD of this show?

Hi Eagle!! As far as I know there is not. I've looked all over Youtube and have not found anything there. If there's a boot out there....I sure would love to have it!

Calling all booters! :)

There is a very small amount of footage I believe from the very last show.....

• 2 months later...
Oh, Clapton's first solo LP was recently remastered and released with bonus tracks on CD. The original version of "Let It Rain" was titled "She Rides" and is included.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I find it pretty interesting that the other version of Easy Now is Clapton's mix of the song. I wish I could get the deluxe edition of 461 Ocean Boulevard.

In fact, I'd LOOOOOOVE to see a Deluxe Edition of Wheels of Fire, that would include the ENTIRE Winterland show on the second disc.

Ignore my last reply Double Necker...The 'Is this a joke' :unsure: ..Irony lost on an Englishman!

Did Eric not use a Firebird on the Wheels of Fire Crossroads&Spoonful?

Not 100% sure.

Anyways, this thread got me pulling out Cream discs. Just listening to Spoonful at Rhode island 4.11.68

The sounds fuckin awful, but still a real treat

I just noticed this. Even though the guy probably won't come back (or hasn't been back) I'll answer it anyway.

For Wheels of Fire on the live tracks, Clapton used his ES-335. Doesn't sound it, but its true from what I read. Although, in some senses, he might've used his SG. In any case, (now I'm all jumbled) it's one of the two. However, on songs like White Room, Clapton did use a Firebird.

Pic time.

2qtb8ls.jpg

30cx1rr.jpg

lcn6o.jpg

For Wheels of Fire on the live tracks, Clapton used his ES-335. Doesn't sound it, but its true from what I read. Although, in some senses, he might've used his SG. In any case, (now I'm all jumbled) it's one of the two. However, on songs like White Room, Clapton did use a Firebird.

The live sides of Wheels of Fire, recorded at Winterland (the only track from the Fillmore is Toad) features the 1964 Gibson SG (The Fool). The ES335 (also a 1964 model) only appeared during the last knockings of Cream's farwell tour, and eyewitness reports suggest that this may well be only at the Royal Albert Hall gig. The Firebird I was also in evidence on this tour as the photograph on the cover of Live Cream depicts, shot at their Madison Square Garden gigs, where they were presented with a platinum disc for the sales of Wheels of Fire, the first double album to achieve such sales.

RB

The live sides of Wheels of Fire, recorded at Winterland (the only track from the Fillmore is Toad) features the 1964 Gibson SG (The Fool). The ES335 (also a 1964 model) only appeared during the last knockings of Cream's farwell tour, and eyewitness reports suggest that this may well be only at the Royal Albert Hall gig. The Firebird I was also in evidence on this tour as the photograph on the cover of Live Cream depicts, shot at their Madison Square Garden gigs, where they were presented with a platinum disc for the sales of Wheels of Fire, the first double album to achieve such sales.

RB

Well, he's had the ES-335 before that time. '65 if I remember right. I seen a pic where he played the Firebird with the stache if I recall right as well.

Well, he's had the ES-335 before that time. '65 if I remember right. I seen a pic where he played the Firebird with the stache if I recall right as well.

Yes, I think he acquired the 335 while he was still in The Yardbirds. There was some confusion as to what year his SG was - some claimed it was a 1961 Les Paul, but research ultimately revealed that it was at least a '64 owing to the number of screws and their position on the scratch plate.

The vintage of the Firebird I is only an estimate, and is dated between 1963-65. Clapton alternated between this guitar and a Les Paul Standard on the American leg of the farewell tour; the Firebird is documented as late as November 2nd 1968 at Madison Square Garden (photographic), two days before the tour ended, and can be heard for sure on the live tracks from Goodbye (eyewitness account); the 335 appeared at the end when Cream returned to the UK for the two final gigs. Odd that this guitar should become so famous and command such a high price when auctioned ($847,500 US) for such a limited exposure.

There is a guy in Germany who claims to own the Firebird I guitar, and says he got hold of it when the Berlin Hard Rock Cafe closed some years back.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "stache".

RB

• 2 weeks later...
LOVE Eric! I've seen him three times, but my favorite was the first. I believe it was 1991, but I'd have to check my stub. He played everything! A little D&tD, Cream, and some blues. We had a blast at that show. :notworthy:

I got to see him at the HOB here in New Orleans when he released the album

"The Blues and Nothing but the Blues" and guess what? That's exactly what he played.

Nothing but the Blues. B) Great show just the same.

I got to see him at the HOB here in New Orleans when he released the album

"The Blues and Nothing but the Blues" and guess what? That's exactly what he played.

Nothing but the Blues. B) Great show just the same.

I caught him on his blues tour, too. He's such a class act.

New Orleans is my favorite city! I've had lots of good times down there, and BEST FOOD EVER! :)

• 8 months later...

I dig 70's Clapton. Derek and the Dominos, plus all the records that followed. The solo LP's beginning with the 461 Ocean Boulevard contain some great stuff. It was a period when Clapton was at his happiest musically. It was also his longest period of time with the same musicians, Carl Radle, Jamie Oldaker, Dick Sims, George Terry, Marcy Levy and Yvonne Ellimon. Dang, I remembered all those names by memory.

How's it going "JethroTull?" I hope all is well with you. Lets talk Derek and the Dominoes! Reading briefly through all of the posts here on your thread, no one has ever told the REAL story of how Derek and The Dominoes came to be. Please don't get me wrong, I am a hard core Eric Clapton fan but the truth should be told. DEREK AND THE DOMINOES was a name invented by ERIC CLAPTON in an attempt to hide his real name and feelings for his best friend's wife whose name was Patti Boyd Harrison A.K.A. BEATLE George Harrison's wife. That's right, you guessed it, Patti Boyd Harrison IS THE REAL LIFE LAYLA! When Harrison and his wife would have heated arguments, Patti would flirt with Harrison's best friend ERIC CLAPTON. Clapton and Patti Boyd Harrison would become very close which would develop into a relationship. Despite Patti still being married to George, Clapton being a well known heroin addict and George being aware of the whole situation, Patti broke things off with Eric since she was still married to George and Eric went crazy. As a result of his love for Patti, Eric would form a band and begin recording some of what people would call, his greatest work. "Layla" is his love song and plead to Patti. Just listen to the lyrics of "Layla" closely, you will hear Eric baring his soul out to her. The music to "Layla," WOW! What a BEAUTIFUL SOUND! It was also the first time that Eric would make his guitar sound like love birds singing for joy at the end of the song. In my opinion, "Layla" still stands as one of the most beautifully crafted love songs ever written in music history. The band even knew who that song was written about. Eric decided that he would call his new band DEREK AND THE DOMINOES as a way of hiding his identity and his unhidden love for Patti boyd Harrison. Please note that Patti Boyd and Jenny Boyd (Mick Fleetwood's ex-wife) are real life sisters. I'm sure that I left some of the story out but I'll let some of our fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics fill in the holes. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

Archived