8mm/16mm films!!

Sticks of Fire

1 hour ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Great to see new stuff surfacing lately! Where does this stuff come from!? 

Someone's out there finding this stuff and getting it out there. Kudos to those people, it's something we should all strive for.

It's what happens when you actually put in a little bit of legwork and digging, instead of just sitting round the forum discussing the merits of the LA '77 shows for the umpteenth time or arguing about what fucking blouse Plant was wearing on a given night😆 Stuff like this old film footage or audience tapes still popping up after all these years are what collectors like myself thrive on.

7 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

It's what happens when you actually put in a little bit of legwork and digging, instead of just sitting round the forum discussing the merits of the LA '77 shows for the umpteenth time or arguing about what fucking blouse Plant was wearing on a given night😆 Stuff like this old film footage or audience tapes still popping up after all these years are what collectors like myself thrive on.

Those are valid points, but what do you advise?  Go around looking for old hippies and ask if we can rummage around their attic for forgotten tapes?  We're simply very fortunate that, whatever these tapes were doing for the last 45 years, they came to the attention of someone who had the motivation to make them publicly available finally.  I don't think there's much more we can do than hope more get discovered (and of course be grateful when they do).

10 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Those are valid points, but what do you advise?  Go around looking for old hippies and ask if we can rummage around their attic for forgotten tapes?  We're simply very fortunate that, whatever these tapes were doing for the last 45 years, they came to the attention of someone who had the motivation to make them publicly available finally.  I don't think there's much more we can do than hope more get discovered (and of course be grateful when they do).

I ask basically everyone I meet who is old enough to have seen Zep if they saw them, and if they did, did they or their friends make a recording of the show. Only a few people I've talked to saw them and none of them made or knew about any recordings, although in a couple of cases there were boots in general circulation of the shows they went to so I gave them copies. And even if the people I talk to never saw Zep, it starts a general music discussion and most of them went to shows by other bands that I enjoy hearing about.

Edited by SteveZ98

From what I have seen most every person fortunate to have seen the band and actually recorded, filmed or took photos have always wanted their treasures to be heard or seen.   In 99.9% of the cases it’s the guy who finds then who doesn’t share and making the hobby toxic  

Edited by Sticks of Fire

3 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

From what I have seen most every person fortunate to have seen the band and actually recorded, filmed or took photos have always wanted their treasures to be heard or seen.   In 99.9% of the cases it’s the guy who finds then who doesn’t share and making the hobby toxic  

Agreed about the toxic part, but there are likely lots of people who taped shows forty or fifty years ago who've forgotten they even made the recordings, or if they remembered them, don't think anyone else would be interested in them. Dan Lampinski is the most famous example, but I'm sure there are other people who have stuff the rest of us would like to hear or see, but we need to jog their memories and let them know we'd like to hear/see the shows they captured.

21 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

Agreed about the toxic part, but there are likely lots of people who taped shows forty or fifty years ago who've forgotten they even made the recordings, or if they remembered them, don't think anyone else would be interested in them. Dan Lampinski is the most famous example, but I'm sure there are other people who have stuff the rest of us would like to hear or see, but we need to jog their memories and let them know we'd like to hear/see the shows they captured.

Or, they're older and unfamiliar with the internet etc. and have no idea how to distribute them.  Our only real hope here (unless you want to go on a Monty Python "bring out your dead" road show) is that such people have younger/tech-savvy relatives who learn of the tapes and understand their significance. 

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Or, they're older and unfamiliar with the internet etc. and have no idea how to distribute them.  Our only real hope here (unless you want to go on a Monty Python "bring out your dead" road show) is that such people have younger/tech-savvy relatives who learn of the tapes and understand their significance. 

And that those tapes don't wind up in the hands of some greedy hoarders who would rather use the tapes as leverage for carrot dangling as opposed to just releasing them with the permission of the tapers.