Led Zeppelin's 1972 Australian Shows

LedZep123

Not very many people know about these shows as well as the Japanese shows that Led Zeppelin did in '71 and '72. But, in my opinion, the Australian shows are actually some of the most important in their career as a band. Why? Well, first off, it gave them an introduction to stadiums, which they played during '73 and '77 in North America, including their famous Atlanta, Tampa and Detroit shows. Heck, they played to some 80,000 people in a 50,000 seat stadium in Perth on the first night. In Sydney, they played to between 30,000 and 40,000 people. Maybe even more!!! Secondly, it proved that the band can actually rock in places that aren't just in America and Europe. Sure they played Japan just a few months before, but they were, to what, 10,000 people. They were the biggest thing to come to Australia since The Beatles in '64. They also set a record attendance for the highest attended show in New Zealand, when they played in Auckland to about 25,000 people. And that is pretty big. I'm from N.Z., and they're not the biggest rockers in the world. And imagine in 1972!!! All in all, these were definently some very important concerts in the band's career. Hear is the complete inteniary with the rounded attendance.

16th February - Perth, Australia - Subiaco Oval - 80,000 

19th February - Adelaide, Australia - Memorial Drive Park - 8,000

20th February - Melbourne, Australia - Kooyong Stadium - 14,000

25th February - Auckland, New Zealand - Western Springs Stadium - 25,000

27th February - Sydney, Australia - Sydney Showground - 38,000

29th February - Brisbane, Australia - Brisbane Festival Hall - 6,000

If anyone was here, please share your story. 

Just some notes about this tour - 

1) Singapore show, February 14th - this was cancelled due to the authorities banning people with long hair into their country. 

2) Perth show - February 16th - during the Whole Lotta Love rock n' roll medley, many fans jumped onto the stage, and one even ripped Robert Plant's shirt. The next morning, the band were fined for charging a riot. This is probably why they never came back to Australia.

3) Adelaide show - February 19th - postponed from February 18th. CCR were playing at the Apollo Stadium that same night, and many had to choose - Led Zeppelin or CCR. 

4) Melbourne show - February 20th - One word - Rain

5) Auckland show - February 25th - First show with a shaved Jimmy Page. 

6) Sydney show - February 27th - The band filmed Immigrant Song for their Led Zeppelin DVD. However, the audio is not from this date. It is from either the Inglewood Forum or Long Beach Arena (both in '72)

7) Brisbane Show - February 29th - The band's last concert in Australia. 

14 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

I LOVE these photo's! I think there's quite a few from an Aussie soundcheck too (a barefoot Robert Plant IIRC). What fun they must have had during the early years. Incredible. 

I'm pretty sure the last two were taken during their show at the Sydney Showground... The first one I'm not so sure. But it's quite funny when you think about. The stage is just basically a long wooden platform, with amps and the ocassional lights. 

54 minutes ago, LedZep123 said:

I'm pretty sure the last two were taken during their show at the Sydney Showground... The first one I'm not so sure. But it's quite funny when you think about. The stage is just basically a long wooden platform, with amps and the ocassional lights. 

The last two are from Melbourne February 20.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

The last two are from Melbourne February 20.

If the last two are from Melbourne, that sure looks like quite a bit more than just 14,000 people (quoted from above). Maybe its just perspective but that audience looks closer to 40k+. Was the 14k audience claim a typo?

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

If the last two are from Melbourne, that sure looks like quite a bit more than just 14,000 people (quoted from above). Maybe its just perspective but that audience looks closer to 40k+. Was the 14k audience claim a typo?

Kooyong Stadium seating capacity is about 5,000 + approx 9,000 on the lawn.

2 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

Here's all we've got in the timeline so far.

https://www.ledzeppelin.com/event/february-14-1972

Not very many bands performed in East Asia apart from Japan. Deep Purple were one of the first, and performed in Jakarta in 1975. However, it turned out into this big scandal thingy ma jig. And then nobody really performed there until like the 90's. 

48 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Kooyong was a tennis stadium not a football stadium. No way was it close to 40,000. It's just the perspective that makes it seem that large.

49 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

I just recently went to see Queen in Auckland. I thought there were what 35 to 40,000 people there. Turns out there was on 27,000. I think it's a pretty good example of the More Than Meets The Eye thing. Although, the venue was very flexible, so there could've been about 20 to 30,000 people but I'm not so sure. 

17 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

Kooyong Stadium seating capacity is about 5,000 + approx 9,000 on the lawn.

The offical capacity was around 10 to 15,000 during the 70's/80's. It's been reduced to 5,000. There may as well have been 25,000 people at Melbourne. 

My best friend's parents went to the Melbourne show but I haven't gotten too many stories over the years about what it was like, beyond the fact that as a performance, it was life changing, and Plant was absolutely incredible in person. The other thing I've heard from them was the crushing disappointment of seeing TSRTS in a theatre a few years after having seen the band at their peak.

19 hours ago, davidh said:

My best friend's parents went to the Melbourne show but I haven't gotten too many stories over the years about what it was like, beyond the fact that as a performance, it was life changing, and Plant was absolutely incredible in person. The other thing I've heard from them was the crushing disappointment of seeing TSRTS in a theatre a few years after having seen the band at their peak.

Yeah... the band were definently the best during 1972. It's my favourite year.

• 1 year later...

Would have been awesome to be at the Brisbane Festival Hall concert, indoor venue 4,000 seat capacity

Awesome photos of the show on this sites concert timeline 1972

Pic of venue below ( unfortunately this famous venue was demolished in 2003) 

20220111_180432.jpg

Edited by zeppatic

10 hours ago, zeppatic said:

Would have been awesome to be at the Brisbane Festival Hall concert, indoor venue 4,000 seat capacity

Awesome photos of the show on this sites concert timeline 1972

Pic of venue below ( unfortunately this famous venue was demolished in 2003) 

20220111_180432.jpg

Yeah seeing them in such a small venue would have been amazing! 

D+C from the Sydney show is just sick. I love how they continued on with the theme from Shaft like they did a few months earlier in the UK. Except this time, Bonzo and Jonesy are playing the theme while Jimmy plays a completely different guitar part that sounds great, a very fun and playful riff. He reintroduces the fun riff right before the Mars section.

• 2 weeks later...