The Vaccine for Covid is coming fast

LedZeppfan1977

Interesting article....if it is so safe there for the vaccinated, why has the CDC now put Iceland on Level 4 status (do not visit)?

Fact Check-COVID-19 cases in Iceland are not proof that vaccines are ineffective

By Reuters Fact Check

7 MIN READ

Rising COVID-19 cases in Iceland are not proof that vaccines are a “failure”, despite claims made online.

The screenshot is of a tweet published on June 25, which reads: “Social distanciation [sic] and masks are back in one the most vaccinated nations of the world: Iceland. Yesterday, 82% of the new cases were fully vaccinated ( here ).”

On July 24, the day prior to the tweet, Iceland recorded 87 cases. Of the total number of positive cases, 71 were fully vaccinated, which equates to 81.6%, which indeed rounds up to 82% ( www.covid.is/data ).

Meanwhile, 14 were unvaccinated and 2 were partially vaccinated.

The tweet is accompanied by a graph, showing 7-day average case numbers per 100,000 people (blue) and vaccination rates (red).

Reuters found the case numbers and vaccination rates (of the eligible population, which currently relates to those aged 16 and over) on the graph to be comparable with Reuters figures and those provided by the Icelandic Department of Health ( here ), ( www.covid.is/data ), ( here ).

It is also true to say that Iceland has reinstated social distancing measures such as masks wearing and social distancing ( here ).

The government had lifted all domestic restrictions on June 25, prior to the recent rise in cases ( here ).

One person who shared the screenshot on Facebook said: “Its [sic] almost as if the vaccine is making it worse, not better...now why would they be pushing the vaccine so hard knowing this? ( here )”

Reuters previously addressed the claim that vaccines cause variants ( here ).

Another commented: “Psssst, the vaccines don’t work. And Covid isn’t that bad. Governemnt [sic] is just evil. Carry on.” ( here )

Others shared seven-day infection date statistics alongside the vaccine update rate, calling it the Iceland “vaccine failure” ( here ), ( here ), ( here ).

However, although the statistics are accurate, the rates are not proof that the vaccines are ineffective at countering symptomatic disease and in a country with high vaccine uptake, a higher positive case rate among those vaccinated versus unvaccinated is expected.

“In Iceland, 85.3% of people over 16 years old are now fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and 4.9% are partially vaccinated. It should therefore not come as a surprise that among new domestic cases, most are vaccinated. Since 9 July, 77% of domestic infections were among vaccinated individuals,” Ásthildur Knútsdóttir, Director General of the Ministry of Health in Iceland told Reuters via email.

A Public Health England (PHE) study found both the Oxford-AstraZeneca and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines effective against hospitalization due to the Delta variant ( here ). According to Director General Knútsdóttir, rates of protection against hospitalization following vaccination in Iceland are comparable with the results of the PHE study.

“According to the Chief Epidemiologist, evidence shows that the vaccines used in Iceland protect about 60 percent of those fully vaccinated against any kind of infection caused by the delta variant of the virus and over 90 percent against serious illnesses,” she said.

“Currently there are 1072 people in isolation due to COVID-19 in Iceland, ten of which are hospitalised. About 97 percent of those infected have mild or no symptoms,” Knútsdóttir added. This latter statistic is not taken into consideration by the alarmist posts on social media.

“The fact that many vaccinated people are testing positive after the vaccine with the delta does not mean the vaccine doesn’t work,” Prof Monica Gandhi, Professor of Medicine and Associate Division Chief of the Division of HIV, Infectious Diseases, and Global Medicine at the University of California San Francisco, told Reuters.

“Many asymptomatic people are tested after vaccination and, without incorporating cycle threshold assessment in the PCR test or using antigen-based testing, we don’t know if that test is really a “case” or a low viral load result from the vaccine fighting the virus in your nose ( here ),” Gandhi said.

“Moreover, we are seeing more mild symptomatic breakthrough infections with the delta variant although protection of the vaccines against severe disease seems very high and enduring. Vaccinated people are more likely to seek testing with symptoms than the unvaccinated so the cases may be overrepresented more in the vaccinated,” she added.

There was consensus that the vaccines curbed transmission with the alpha variant.

VERDICT

Missing context. A graph showing rising case numbers in Iceland is accurate. However, it is not proof that vaccines are ineffective at countering symptomatic disease in the country. Vaccines are also not the cause of rising infections.

This article was produced by the Reuters Fact Check team. Read more about our fact-checking work here.

5 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Interesting article....if it is so safe there for the vaccinated, why has the CDC now put Iceland on Level 4 status (do not visit)?

In my view, it suggests there is growing global concern about the EFFECTIVENESS of these vaccines. Moreover, now that the planned-demic game is afoot there is the realizing that there is a lot of money to be made and further government control to be gained from implementing COVID-19 public health policies. For example, there is a push in some quarters for annual COVID-19 booster shots to become a mandatory minimum requirement. I got a better idea. How about accepting there is a new paradigm, Earth + COVID-19, and as such as I said from day one herd immunity is the only way forward and get out of our lives and out of veins?

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

In my view, it suggests there is growing global concern about the EFFECTIVENESS of these vaccines. Moreover, now that the planned-demic game is afoot there is the realizing that there is a lot of money to be made and further government control to be gained from implementing COVID-19 public health policies. For example, there is a push in some quarters for annual COVID-19 booster shots to become a mandatory minimum requirement. I got a better idea. How about accepting there is a new paradigm, Earth + COVID-19, and as such as I said from day one herd immunity is the only way forward and get out of our lives and out of veins?

Just curious, once the COVID vaccine is fully approved, how is it any different that other vaccines? Kids are required to have vaccinations before admittance to school. When travelling to certain countries certain vaccines are mandated. Don't even get me started on the military, I was jabbed so many times I am surprised a parasitic twin named Quaato did not grow out of my ass.

A persons individual freedom does not include the freedom to give me an infectious disease when such a disease can be easily prevented or its affects reduced. I have several friends and family in health care (including my wife) and something which I am surprised that is very under-reported are the long-term affects of COVID in about 30% of those that recover. My mother-in-law is now bald as a coot yet she had a head of hair at 86 that would make Robert Plant jealous. My mom also lost about 50% of her hair and her skin is dry as a bone. They are lucky. I have friends who are suffering severe neuropathy, migraines, digestive issues, heart issues, and of course breathing issues months after recovering. 

I have no idea if COVID was man made in a lab or the product of some whacko rogering a bat, either way its here and we need to deal with it the best we can. Once we get this under control then we can find out exactly how this originated and take the proper precautions moving forward.

19 hours ago, rm2551 said:

What I took from that - being someone who think Andrews is a twit (thankfully, he's Victoria's premier, we've got our own twit!) is this..

This prompted an admission of guilt by Andrews, who said: “We apologize. We try to get the best information out as quickly as we can. Nothing is perfect and no one has ever pretended that it is."

At least he accepts the previous position was wrong and corrects for it. That is to be commended.

He makes an outlandish and absurd claim that he's forced to backtrack on, and you commend him?  I'm afraid your problems go beyond anything that a vaccine will cure.

20 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

He makes an outlandish and absurd claim that he's forced to backtrack on, and you commend him?  I'm afraid your problems go beyond anything that a vaccine will cure.

No, I commend him for being one of the only examples you will ever see of a politician admitting error and changing his position. You know - like normal people do when they realise their previous position turned out to be wrong. That is all. You just don't see that in politics.

My problems? You know me well enough to form a view of the scope of my problems? ok... Can we just remain civil John? I disagree with a lot of your views but will refrain from personal attacks as I don't know you.

Cheers mate.

20 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Meh, I'm in it for the Connie and the Frop, attempting Slack at a whole new level. Possibly seriously inter-dimensional Slack, I don't know because I am just too damn lazy to follow up.

Shred with pipe, well sir, I believe Mr. Joe Pass would fit that bill. Check out some of his albums, they are jazz but holy hell, the man could make Neal Schoen weep.

Been checking out Joe Pass for the last hour or so. That man is amazing. Thanks for the referral. There are so many talented guitarist and musicians out there. Nice to learn about someone that you’ve never heard of and be blown away by them. 

8 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Just curious, once the COVID vaccine is fully approved, how is it any different that other vaccines? Kids are required to have vaccinations before admittance to school. When travelling to certain countries certain vaccines are mandated. Don't even get me started on the military, I was jabbed so many times I am surprised a parasitic twin named Quaato did not grow out of my ass.

A persons individual freedom does not include the freedom to give me an infectious disease when such a disease can be easily prevented or its affects reduced. I have several friends and family in health care (including my wife) and something which I am surprised that is very under-reported are the long-term affects of COVID in about 30% of those that recover. My mother-in-law is now bald as a coot yet she had a head of hair at 86 that would make Robert Plant jealous. My mom also lost about 50% of her hair and her skin is dry as a bone. They are lucky. I have friends who are suffering severe neuropathy, migraines, digestive issues, heart issues, and of course breathing issues months after recovering. 

I have no idea if COVID was man made in a lab or the product of some whacko rogering a bat, either way its here and we need to deal with it the best we can. Once we get this under control then we can find out exactly how this originated and take the proper precautions moving forward.

My response to this is the mRNA technology used to develop the vaccines is new (experimental). THAT is the difference. 

I'm not going to enter into a debate with you over individual freedom, other than to say if the vaccines have your full faith, and you are fully vaccinated, it shouldn't matter to you if ANYONE else is.

COVID-19 is a Communist Chinese bio-weapon developed at the Wuhan Institute of Technology in Wuhan, China that inadvertently leaked out. You can take that to the bank. I violently agree with you that it's true nature should be investigated, but the corrupt global powers that be aren't interested in that or holding anyone responsible. 

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

My response to this is the mRNA technology used to develop the vaccines is new (experimental). THAT is the difference. 

I'm not going to enter into a debate with you over individual freedom, other than to say if the vaccines have your full faith, and you are fully vaccinated, it shouldn't matter to you if ANYONE else is.

COVID-19 is a Communist Chinese bio-weapon developed at the Wuhan Institute of Technology in Wuhan, China that inadvertently leaked out. You can take that to the bank. I violently agree with you that it's true nature should be investigated, but the corrupt global powers that be aren't interested in that or holding anyone responsible. 

Actually, I thought a lot about this over the weekend.  I had the same opinion for the longest time - if you don't want to get the vaccine and are willing to risk serious sickness or death, it's on you!  But now the unvaccinated causing the Covid case rise is forcing me to have to wear a mask again (the University I work at is making it mandatory while inside any building or vehicle).  Also, with hospitals filling up with the unvaccinated sick, it leaves no room for other critical care patients that need that bed and medical expertise.  Finally, medical insurers are sure to take notice and raise insurance rates on the entire population - you know, just cause they can! 

So in my opinion, it does matter to me.....

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It does matter to me Steve because of something called empathy. 

Regarding the origin of COVID, that is a theory you have, it is not fact which is why there needs to be an investigation. What we need to do is stop acting like children claiming to know "the truth" when it is all just opinionated flatulence and nothing more.

18 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

But now the unvaccinated causing the Covid case rise...

You can stop there. You have fallen hook, line and sinker for social conditioning and identity politics designed to divide and conquer.  This time around it's to pit the vaccinated against the unvaccinated. By your own logic, ANYONE engaging in anything that MAY affect others or cause collective insurance premiums to rise is a direct threat and must be stopped at all costs! People who drink, people who smoke, people who take selfies on the edge of cliffs -- round them all up and lock them down! On a more serious note, if you are wearing a mask it is because you chose to do so.   

The New Normal.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

4 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Another headline:

Pfizer vaccine efficacy dropped to 42% against Delta variant although protection against serious illness remained strong, study says

So now it has an efficacy rate of 43% if vaccinated.  WOW!

42% is better than zero percent.

Just think if you were a health care worker and had to deal with all of this. No matter what they do or say its gonna piss some group off. They say you need to get the vaccine? A group will cry government conspiracy. Say don't get the vaccine, another group cries not enough is being done and the government is being negligent.

Is it really so hard to have a bit of empathy, try and understand what the healthcare workers stuck in the middle are dealing with in the tug o war of lunacy? I would say whatever happened to common sense but in reality it never existed on a wide scale. These exact same concerns were mirrored with the Polio vaccine and Smallpox vaccine yet both diseases are pretty much eradicated. You also had the anti-maskers back in 1918 with the last pandemic.

I don't have all the answers, I am not a virologist but I do know I hate getting sick and hate dying even more. I got the vaccine simply because the science seemed to make sense to me and the risk / reward was heavily slanted toward the vaccine in the sense of reward. Then again who knows, maybe this vaccine will turn us all into Zombies in a year or so and all the anti-vaxxers can have a nice laugh before we eat them all. Who knows.

Its kinda like using a jimmy-hat (rubber) during sex. Yes, they have a failure rate of about 3% but 97 times out of 100% you are good to go and I will take those odds over pulling out and praying any day.

I say let's split the baby on this one. Biden should hold a press conference with Trump next to him. Biden will then tell the world this is the Trump Vaccine, it is 100% Trump that ensured Operation Warp Speed was a success. Then thank Trump repeatedly for being the most awesome person on the planet and that he saved the world. Then Trump will be happy and publicly endorse the Trump Vaccine which would then likely bring us to a good 80% vaccine rate and then heard immunity can take over. If that's what it takes I am all in. Hell, I will even put up a few thousand dollars and have a line of Ho's waiting to service the Donald if that's what it takes.

18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

You can stop there. You have fallen hook, line and sinker for social conditioning and identity politics designed to divide and conquer.  This time around it's to pit the vaccinated against the unvaccinated. By your own logic, ANYONE engaging in anything that MAY affect others or cause collective insurance premiums to rise is a direct threat and must be stopped at all costs! People who drink, people who smoke, people who take selfies on the edge of cliffs -- round them all up and lock them down! On a more serious note, if you are wearing a mask it is because you chose to do so.   

The New Normal.jpg

Exactly.  Everything they dismissed a year ago as paranoia, conspiracy-theorizing, etc., has come to pass.  They openly admit that the vaccines don't work, that we'll need three, four, etc. "booster shots", so the whole "pandemic of the unvaccinated" is just a lie.  The next thing we're going to hear is a pandemic of those who refuse the booster shot.  Then the one after that, etc. etc.  At this stage you either see all of this for what it is, or there's no vaccine in the world that's going to help you.

7 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

42% is better than zero percent.

Just think if you were a health care worker and had to deal with all of this. No matter what they do or say its gonna piss some group off. They say you need to get the vaccine? A group will cry government conspiracy. Say don't get the vaccine, another group cries not enough is being done and the government is being negligent.

Is it really so hard to have a bit of empathy, try and understand what the healthcare workers stuck in the middle are dealing with in the tug o war of lunacy? I would say whatever happened to common sense but in reality it never existed on a wide scale. These exact same concerns were mirrored with the Polio vaccine and Smallpox vaccine yet both diseases are pretty much eradicated. You also had the anti-maskers back in 1918 with the last pandemic.

I don't have all the answers, I am not a virologist but I do know I hate getting sick and hate dying even more. I got the vaccine simply because the science seemed to make sense to me and the risk / reward was heavily slanted toward the vaccine in the sense of reward. Then again who knows, maybe this vaccine will turn us all into Zombies in a year or so and all the anti-vaxxers can have a nice laugh before we eat them all. Who knows.

Its kinda like using a jimmy-hat (rubber) during sex. Yes, they have a failure rate of about 3% but 97 times out of 100% you are good to go and I will take those odds over pulling out and praying any day.

I say let's split the baby on this one. Biden should hold a press conference with Trump next to him. Biden will then tell the world this is the Trump Vaccine, it is 100% Trump that ensured Operation Warp Speed was a success. Then thank Trump repeatedly for being the most awesome person on the planet and that he saved the world. Then Trump will be happy and publicly endorse the Trump Vaccine which would then likely bring us to a good 80% vaccine rate and then heard immunity can take over. If that's what it takes I am all in. Hell, I will even put up a few thousand dollars and have a line of Ho's waiting to service the Donald if that's what it takes.

You continue making crass, apples to oranges comparisons before inevitably politicizing the issue. 

38 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Exactly.  Everything they dismissed a year ago as paranoia, conspiracy-theorizing, etc., has come to pass.  They openly admit that the vaccines don't work, that we'll need three, four, etc. "booster shots", so the whole "pandemic of the unvaccinated" is just a lie.  The next thing we're going to hear is a pandemic of those who refuse the booster shot.  Then the one after that, etc. etc.  At this stage you either see all of this for what it is, or there's no vaccine in the world that's going to help you.

I said on day one the only real way forward is herd immunity, and if that meant 400,000 to 1.2 million Americans take one for the team then so be it.

What have we gotten instead? 18 months of government tyranny with no end in sight and more than 600,000 dead Americans anyway.

Meanwhile, the lethality of the virus continues to drop. It's over 99% survivable now. This was never about the damn virus.