The Vaccine for Covid is coming fast

LedZeppfan1977

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

This is not a political statement, its a Covid one.  I must say no matter what one thinks of Andy Cuomo, who just stepped down as the governor of NY, where I reside, he did a very good job of fighting this Covid monster.  We are now in uncharted waters as the new woman in charge, a Buffalo native, will have her hands full.  This variant is something to be feared.  I guess I can expect to get a booster soon.  I had the Phizer vaccine.  I cant keep track of the new ones. I have had the guts to not wear a mask in stores of late.  But I see more going back to the mask recently.  

Tell that to the family and friends of all the elderly that died in nursing homes in New York when Cuomo had Covid positive patients put in there!  Oh, and New York has the third highest death toll in the nation....thanks Fredo! 

I believe Cuomo is still in charge:

At least 16 people shot in 90 minutes in NYC

Mon, August 16, 2021, 4:27 AM

At least 16 people were shot in an hour and a half in Brooklyn and Queens Sunday night into Monday morning, including eight people outside a city-run Bedford-Stuyvesant apartment complex.

39 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

Tell that to the family and friends of all the elderly that died in nursing homes in New York when Cuomo had Covid positive patients put in there!  Oh, and New York has the third highest death toll in the nation....thanks Fredo! 

Wow....and the 3rd highest State population.  What a coincidence.  I hear the same garbage in my State towards Governor Witless.  It's not a political issue.  It's basically how the U.S. has always treated the elderly.  Any family that had an elderly relative in such a position could have brought them home.  A few did.....most didn't or couldn't.  If this pandemic effected the young instead of the elderly, everyone would care.  Instead we basically write them off Steve style and just go about our business.  It's not our problem.  You've lived a full life, now get out of our way and let us live ours.  The same people bitching and complaining about this issue would have been the last ones to put on a mask if they were allowed to visit those nursing homes.  Actually, they probably wouldn't have shown up at all.  In the end, it didn't matter if they were put on a cruise ship, put in an empty school, or a make-shift hospital parking garage.  We would have ended up in the same place with the same problems. 

Events like pandemics and natural catastrophes always expose weaknesses in society's supposed safety nets.  We expected ambulance drivers to transport covid patients without a vaccine or health care.  We expected under-paid nursing home staff to do the same.  The examples are endless and cross every political spectrum.   That's because it's not political....it's a moral reflection of American society.      

That still doesn't explain Fredo's decision to put positive Covid patients into an area with the most vulnerable people.  Or his complaining that he didn't have any ventilators - when he did.  Or not using the medical ship that was docked and ready to accept patients when the hospitals were filling up - which he didn't.

Yea, he did a great job on managing Covid.....I'm sure Biden will find a position for him.

Man, I have an entire vacation mapped out for September to go to Croatia, But I'm afraid to pull the trigger and book anything. 

First, I have to get PCR-tested before they'll even let me on the plane in Denver.  The test must be taken no sooner than 3 days before flying.  Problem is, the County Health Department says the result will take 1-3 days to get back to you!  Which is nonsense because when I was in Iceland in May, I got the results back in TWO HOURS! So if I get tested on a Monday, I may not get the results back until Wednesday  Which is the latest the airline will accept the results.  If the airline  changes the flight or the flight is delayed, I'm screwed.

Second, I have to show proof of fully being vaccinated on top of the negative Covid test.

Third, once I arrive in Croatia, I have to get tested for Covid AGAIN!  I also have to show proof of having booked a reservation at a hotel - and have to quarantine there until the results come back.

Finally, to fly back to the States at the end of my Croatia vacation, I have to get another Covid test in Croatia that must be taken no sooner than three days before I fly.

And if the Delta variant continues to escalate, who knows what the rules will be......  

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Wow....and the 3rd highest State population.  What a coincidence.  I hear the same garbage in my State towards Governor Witless.  It's not a political issue.  It's basically how the U.S. has always treated the elderly.  Any family that had an elderly relative in such a position could have brought them home.  A few did.....most didn't or couldn't.  If this pandemic effected the young instead of the elderly, everyone would care.  Instead we basically write them off Steve style and just go about our business.  It's not our problem.  You've lived a full life, now get out of our way and let us live ours.  The same people bitching and complaining about this issue would have been the last ones to put on a mask if they were allowed to visit those nursing homes.  Actually, they probably wouldn't have shown up at all.  In the end, it didn't matter if they were put on a cruise ship, put in an empty school, or a make-shift hospital parking garage.  We would have ended up in the same place with the same problems. 

Events like pandemics and natural catastrophes always expose weaknesses in society's supposed safety nets.  We expected ambulance drivers to transport covid patients without a vaccine or health care.  We expected under-paid nursing home staff to do the same.  The examples are endless and cross every political spectrum.   That's because it's not political....it's a moral reflection of American society.      

:goodpost:

Well said Mr. Bong.

New York undercounted nursing home deaths by as much 50 percent, report finds

By SHANNON YOUNG

01/28/2021 12:08 PM EST

The New York attorney general on Thursday accused the state of drastically undercounting Covid-19 deaths in nursing homes, saying in a stinging new rebuke of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration that the official tally of about 8,500 may be off by as much as 50 percent.

A 76-page report, released Thursday morning by Attorney General Tish James, adds a new layer to the criticism the Democratic governor has faced over the state’s handling of Covid-19 in long-term care facilities — an issue that came to a head in recent days as state lawmakers pressed for the findings of a long-awaited inquiry into the deaths of nursing home residents.

The report, based on preliminary findings, suggests that a larger number of long-term care residents died from the virus than reflected in state Department of Health data and that government guidance requiring admission of Covid-19 patients into nursing homes may have put residents at increased risk of harm. The state has been accused of depressing the total number of deaths by only counting those that occurred in the facilities, leaving out any resident who was transferred to a hospital.

The issue has dogged Cuomo, seen as a national star for his public messaging during the early days of the pandemic, since last summer. His administration has gone to great lengths to claims it did nothing wrong.

On 8/15/2021 at 5:10 PM, BobDobbs said:

That's right, screw the elderly, who needs em anyway. Just a bunch of social security recipients leaching off the system. Its soylent green time grandma, now shut up, wait for the COVID, and quit your whining.  

It takes a special kind of intellectual dishonesty to engage in as much strawman-bashing as you do.

21 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

If vaccinated it's actually less lethal than the original, which wasn't that lethal to begin with. 

Health care workers MUST be vaccinated by Sept 27th in NY State.  New law.  Andy Cuomo has only a few days left.  Lets see what final moves he attempts.  This is Covid, not political.  But I guess the boss will decide that?  LOL

12 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

It takes a special kind of intellectual dishonesty to engage in as much strawman-bashing as you do.

I was disappointed to see my post spun as ageist, as uncaring towards the elderly when I was merely asserting to sequester and protect the most vulnerable and at risk is prudent public health policy, but to impose lockdowns and mandates on everyone is tyranny. 

I knew a one and a half year pandemic was too good to be true.  We are back to management encouraging people to work from home, masks are required for everyone working indoors, we have to provide proof of vaccination and the gubment is seriously thinking of requiring the booster for everyone.
*SIGH*  

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I was disappointed to see my post spun as ageist, as uncaring towards the elderly when I was merely asserting to sequester and protect the most vulnerable and at risk is prudent public health policy, but to impose lockdowns and mandates on everyone is tyranny. 

Now THAT'S what I call back-peddling :hysterical:

I can see the skid marks from my house

Edited by BobDobbs

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

What you were saying was completely clear and correct, there was no spinning, BobDobbs is just a lying sack of shit.

Anyone who really "followed science" here would understand that the virus disproportionately affects certain demographics, who should be the proper focus of public policy, NOT mass vaccination with an untested vaccine or economic shutdowns (the elderly and infirm, almost by definition, depend on the productive endeavors of others, there is no doubt the lockdowns themselves have contributed to the elevated mortality stats).  That's just lunacy.  Here's a good example:

Kiwi Crushed As Single Case Of COVID Sparks Nationwide New Zealand Lockdown | ZeroHedge

Shutting down the economy from a SINGLE case?  This has gone beyond religious fanaticism or ideology, it's mass psychosis.  (And the NZ Prime Minister is a classic example of someone who's as ugly on the inside as outside.)  Added bonus from that link: 

(Twitter link isn't showing up, look in the ZH article.)  Australia's draconian lockdowns and martial law (remember, less than 1000 fatalities from a population of 26M) have been attended by an increase in cases.  I suspect Australia's military will find the PLA much tougher customers than ordinary citizens.  

Edited by JohnOsbourne

2 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

What you were saying was completely clear and correct, there was no spinning, BobDobbs is just a lying sack of shit.

Anyone who really "followed science" here would understand that the virus disproportionately affects certain demographics, who should be the proper focus of public policy, NOT mass vaccination with an untested vaccine or economic shutdowns (the elderly and infirm, almost by definition, depend on the productive endeavors of others, there is no doubt the lockdowns themselves have contributed to the elevated mortality stats).  That's just lunacy.  Here's a good example:

Kiwi Crushed As Single Case Of COVID Sparks Nationwide New Zealand Lockdown | ZeroHedge

Shutting down the economy from a SINGLE case?  This has gone beyond religious fanaticism or ideology, it's mass psychosis.  (And the NZ Prime Minister is a classic example of someone who's as ugly on the inside as outside.)  Added bonus from that link: 

(Twitter link isn't showing up, look in the ZH article.)  Australia's draconian lockdowns and martial law (remember, less than 1000 fatalities from a population of 26M) have been attended by an increase in cases.  I suspect Australia's military will find the PLA much tougher customers than ordinary citizens.  

Honestly John, from an outsider perspective you seem like the ugly from the outside and inside. I will say that I often enjoy your opinions and thoughts on anything Zeppelin related. But the constant shit talking and one way thinking has become tired. And likely to get this thread taken away as well. I know Mr. Reid’s a page back reminded BobDobbs of some hall monitor rules. But name calling and a lack of respect for others is just out of line. When you just quote borderline Quack Anon theories and literally don’t ever look at anyone else’s perspective maybe it’s you who has the problem. 

when you are quoted by the Elf and Rodriguez/Rodrigo who have some crazy beliefs and thoughts I would suggest looking inward. To quote my favorite line I’ve ever seen by one of the people I like to read the most. “ Lighten up Francis”! Thanks for that Steve. Made my day when I read that. By the way, the Mysteries thread from Mr Jones is awesome.

Hope you can be a little more civil and not sound like such a know it all dick! 

Edited by Plant77

3 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Just for you sexy

5 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Anyone who really "followed science" here would understand that the virus disproportionately affects certain demographics, who should be the proper focus of public policy, NOT mass vaccination with an untested vaccine or economic shutdowns

Well that's the rub right there John. So here at least, the overwhelming majority DO follow the science in that our elect leaders take their advice from top experts in their respective fields. So yeah, 100% the virus disproportionately affects certain demographics. And I 100% agree with you that it is a reasonable assumption/position to take that: the focus should be on safeguarding those demographics "while getting on with it". But neither me or you are the medical experts, or modelling/statistical experts, or the top scientists trusted and chosen to advise governments, or the vaccine research experts - or most importantly, the ELECTED leaders who then take all the advice given, and decide upon public policy. So me, you or anyone else can think we have a "better idea" or plan on what to do, but we ain't the ones working on these problems non-stop with a specific and hard earned set of skills and knowledge that puts us in the frame.

So I hate wearing the damn masks and lockdowns like most people, but at the end of the day, the policies in place are from a majority elected Government with agreement from all state leaders (as to NOT turn this into a political-partisan shit-show).

So what you call lunacy (when you reference policies adopted by fairly elected Govt's in AU and NZ) is the result of our elected state and federal leaders (mix of conservative/progressive, the AU Prime Minister and governing party right now is conservative) taking the approach that they would transparently listen to their top medical/scientific advisers that THEY chose, and meet, and formulate policy that all State Premiers accept and support. The advice received is often given direct to the public at press conferences along with reasoning. I'd say that's reasonable. They have also shown flexibility when the data set changes. Like you'd EXPECT from scientists - no ideological position, no dogma, work with data and adapt when the data changes.

I fully appreciate you most likely will vigorously disagree with this John and welcome alternative views, it is just my view from here. Others views are always interesting.

The fact that a pandemic right down to basic mitigation/safety directives is so partisan now is astonishing to me. Thank fuck it is not like that here.

This is NOT a political post. It should not be interpreted as such.

Cheers.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:10 PM, BobDobbs said:

That's right, screw the elderly, who needs em anyway. Just a bunch of social security recipients leaching off the system. Its soylent green time grandma, now shut up, wait for the COVID, and quit your whining.  

I doubt many will remember that movie soylent green?  I never watched it but I know about it. Back in the 80s I believe, a futuristic world used old people as a food source when the world ran low on a food supply?  Something along those lines right?  I would never watch a movie like that.  I can tolerate science fiction, if it has some potential realism behind it. This is going too far.  Using deceased old people as a type of dog food for the mass population.  Sickening just to think of it. But I guess that is what we get on this forum.

US health officials call for booster shots against COVID-19

NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. health officials Wednesday recommended all Americans get COVID-19 booster shots to shore up their protection amid the surging delta variant and evidence that the vaccines' effectiveness is falling.

The plan, as outlined by the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other top authorities, calls for an extra dose eight months after people get their second shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. The doses could begin the week of Sept. 20.

Health officials said people who received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine will also probably need extra shots. But they said they are awaiting more data and have yet to work out the details.

The overall plan is awaiting a Food and Drug Administration evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of a third dose, the officials said.

In a statement, health officials said it is “very clear” that the vaccines' protection against infection wanes over time, and now, with the highly contagious delta variant spreading rapidly, “we are starting to see evidence of reduced protection against mild and moderate disease.”

“Based on our latest assessment, the current protection against severe disease, hospitalization and death could diminish in the months ahead,” they said.

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I doubt many will remember that movie soylent green?  I never watched it but I know about it. Back in the 80s I believe, a futuristic world used old people as a food source when the world ran low on a food supply?  Something along those lines right?  I would never watch a movie like that.  I can tolerate science fiction, if it has some potential realism behind it. This is going too far.  Using deceased old people as a type of dog food for the mass population.  Sickening just to think of it. But I guess that is what we get on this forum.

Not being serious, this was a sarcastic response to an extremely apathetic post.

Obviously, the Pope is in on the conspiracy.

Pope Francis on Twitter:

"Vaccination is a simple way of promoting the common good and caring for each other, especially the most vulnerable."

Edited by Strider