Quality concert footage?

Plainbrownwrapper

I just got SRS on Blu Ray and I am playing it to death! Soundtrack is excellent and the video is OK for what it was filmed on. Question: do you think there is any additional video that can be released from the pre 1980 period that is good enough for Hi Def conversion?.

A couple of songs from the 1980 Knebworth show perhaps?? Comments?

I just got SRS on Blu Ray and I am playing it to death! Soundtrack is excellent and the video is OK for what it was filmed on. Question: do you think there is any additional video that can be released from the pre 1980 period that is good enough for Hi Def conversion?.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. It's modern home video technology (DVD, Blu-Ray) which needs to catch up with 35mm (which still has the superior resolution), not the other way around.

Anything can be released on a HD format, regardless of it's original format. Knebworth was originally recorded to video tape (3/4"?). Thus the resolution of any release is limited to the resolution of that original recording.

Let me clairify. For example: I doubt that the first cut on the Led Zeppelin DVD (Immigrant Song) would be a candidate for HD DVD or Blu Ray any time soon source material is what it is.

I agree 35MM is fine for conversion. The preservation of the original master film stocks, has age and storage problems which when viewed appears as lines, banding and detail distortion when viewed on standard DVD's. It is really visable on red or blue light footage.

The quality and preservation and current quality of the original 35MM source material is the issue.

With that said -IMO... footage filmed at Earls Court 1975 comes to mind as a potential candidate for a future Blu ray or HD DVD release. B)

A couple of songs from the 1980 Knebworth show perhaps?? Comments?

the knebworth shows were in 1979 not 1980

Archived