Announcing: Led Zeppelin - Stern Pinball

sam_webmaster

Why, why, why? I prefer my LZ remote, mysterious, unhyped, and uncommercialized.  They can't need the money the licensing of their name and iconography brings in, and I doubt the surviving members would have sold off their rights to approval of stuff like this.  😞

15 hours ago, GeorgeC said:

Why, why, why? I prefer my LZ remote, mysterious, unhyped, and uncommercialized.  They can't need the money the licensing of their name and iconography brings in, and I doubt the surviving members would have sold off their rights to approval of stuff like this.  😞

I usually agree with this sentiment - but I think there are valid exceptions, and I think this is one. Who wouldn't love this machine in their man cave if money was no longer a concern??? I know I'd be rockin one.

I’m close to pulling the trigger on one of these. I spoke to the western Canada distributor today for about 30 minutes, and now I’m just mulling things over to ensure that I’m not just getting caught up in the moment. 

The 500 Limited Edition (LE) machines are gone and accounted for (Icarus model). They are exactly the same as the Premium model, but with different artwork, and are numbered / autographed.

The Led Zeppelin III model is the Pro model, and it is entry level. It lacks many of the features of the Premium and Limited Edition models. 

The Premium model is the one I’m looking at. It’s the same as the LE model of 500 units, apart from the art. The Premium model has multiple added features over the Pro model, and has the debut album artwork as its theme. 

Anyway, I’m on a cooling off period until after Xmas, and will either buy, or not, at that time. These machines will be produced as long as there is demand, which is estimated to be 2 years. 

I’ve got the LZ Converse sneakers, so I might as well get a pinball machine to keep them company. I kinda hope that I talk myself out of this idea, but then again, you only live once. 😉

Edited by The Dark Lord

On 12/17/2020 at 11:47 PM, The Dark Lord said:

I’m close to pulling the trigger on one of these. I spoke to the western Canada distributor today for about 30 minutes, and now I’m just mulling things over to ensure that I’m not just getting caught up in the moment. 

The 500 Limited Edition (LE) machines are gone and accounted for (Icarus model). They are exactly the same as the Premium model, but with different artwork, and are numbered / autographed.

The Led Zeppelin III model is the Pro model, and it is entry level. It lacks many of the features of the Premium and Limited Edition models. 

The Premium model is the one I’m looking at. It’s the same as the LE model of 500 units, apart from the art. The Premium model has multiple added features over the Pro model, and has the debut album artwork as its theme. 

Anyway, I’m on a cooling off period until after Xmas, and will either buy, or not, at that time. These machines will be produced as long as there is demand, which is estimated to be 2 years. 

I’ve got the LZ Converse sneakers, so I might as well get a pinball machine to keep them company. I kinda hope that I talk myself out of this idea, but then again, you only live once. 😉

I feel the same as you. Premium is the one to get, but I honestly like the Pro artwork better (I'm a huge Zep III fan). I am going to be patient and see what happens....

On 12/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, Gazza59 said:

I feel the same as you. Premium is the one to get, but I honestly like the Pro artwork better (I'm a huge Zep III fan). I am going to be patient and see what happens....

I like the LZ III artwork better too, but here is the case against that model:

1) The debut album artwork is the most iconic, and instantly recognizable to the super fan and the casual fan. Should you ever sell your machine, the debut art will likely see stronger demand and / or recognition. 

2) The LZ III model lacks some really key game play and accessory features, that will certainly detract from future value and collectibility, not to mention current enjoyment.

3) When you are spending multiple thousands of dollars on a game, it’s important to treat it as an investment as much as a an entertainment source. I look at this in the same manner as the 1965 V6 Mustang as compared to the V8 Mustang. The V6 is worth a fraction of the price of a factory V8 Mustang, and the V8 is head and shoulders more desirable. For that reason, I’m focussed on the LZ Premium model with the debut artwork, as opposed to the decontented Pro model with the LZ III artwork  

I still have to decide whether I’m going to buy after Xmas, but with each day I lean more toward a “yes” answer. Good luck with your decision. 

Edited by The Dark Lord

On 12/16/2020 at 7:18 AM, GeorgeC said:

+1

For that kind of money I would want something like deluxe box set multitrack audio for Japan 1971, and the Pontiac video in Blu-Ray.  Throw in the restored Bath 1970 footage and we have a deal.  

But if you act now there's more!  Order today and you can also receive the complete set of 1973 Europe soundboards remastered by Jimmy Page.

There was also a custom re-theme of a 70s pinball recently for anyone interested.  The art package is quite interesting and overall well done.

spacer.png

Game details: https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/led-zeppelin

Full details here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-bally-led-zeppelin-retheme

For anyone interested, there is also a 10 min podcast on the Stern website (you need to log in) where they discuss the difficulties they had with branding guidelines and the lack of general colour in the Zeppelin catalogue which is why everything was centred around the Electric Magic poster.  I am not a fan of the cabinet artwork but I guess they did the best they could work with. 

Oh no no no - the blue powder coat on the Limited Edition? Well I'm not in charge, so no one will be fired. But really, if I was in charge I wouldn't fire anyone over the color scheme, but a trip to the happy Santa tool shed would certainly be in order! /jk

In any event, I look forward to playing when I happen upon one.

As an aside, I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas, and has a very happy New Year!