1977.04.27 Cleveland (Destroyer) - new 8mm film

ledzepfilm

With the permission of the original filmer, I am very proud to unveil a brand new 1977 8mm film from the famous "Destroyer" show!

He also took 35mm slides at the show, which you can see here (note the confirmation of Jimmy playing Kashmir with the #2 Les Paul): https://imgur.com/a/GKJQhT6

Special thanks to the filmer for kindly taping and lending out his reel, Genesismuseum for their gorgeous 2K digital transfer, and ledzepfilm, TAFCIA, June72, publicnemy3, Sticks of Fire, Ed, and Bert13 from The Dogs of Doom for funding the digital transfer. 

Please, if you have old film reels of Led Zeppelin laying around, get them digitized properly and share them out for the community to see.

Thank you so much to everyone involved.  This is amazing.  Some of my favorite parts are TYG and the acoustic set.  Wow.   

The fantastic drum sound at the beginning inspired me to go back to the 4/28/77 audience recording.  Oh my goodness . . .  What a gem that is.

Edited by John M

6 hours ago, John M said:

Thank you so much to everyone involved.  This is amazing.  Some of my favorite parts are TYG and the acoustic set.  Wow.   

The fantastic drum sound at the beginning inspired me to go back to the 4/28/77 audience recording.  Oh my goodness . . .  What a gem that is.

Yep…I put my April 28, 1977 Cleveland on at work today.

1.jpg.44ba8424563f3e15f3af99c6e8d9dccd.jpg

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Whilst this is a great historical watch, Pages guitar sound is awful. I also can't believe the crowd sat still during Achilles Last Stand.

Because you are listening to a crappy soundboard. The soundboard makes Jimmy's guitar and well, practically everything else sound worse than it actually was. Just compare this soundboard with the audience tape from the next night, April 28. The difference is night and day. For instance, listen to how much more fuller and warm Jonesy's acoustic guitar on "Ten Years Gone" sounds on the 28th compared to the the soundboard of the 27th. Even Bonham's drums sound better on the 28th audience tape than the 27th soundboard.

Edited by Strider

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Because you are listening to a crappy soundboard. The soundboard makes Jimmy's guitar and well, practically everything else sound worse than it actually was. Just compare this soundboard with the audience tape from the next night, April 28. The difference is night and day. For instance, listen to how much more fuller and warm Jonesy's acoustic guitar on "Ten Years Gone" sounds on the 28th compared to the the soundboard of the 27th. Even Bonham's drums sound better on the 28th audience tape than the 27th soundboard.

My apologies for veering slightly off topic, but what release of the 28 show is a good one, as I have last year's T2000 of both nights and there's something muffled about it that makes it difficult to commit to for very long?  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Tainted cheese said:

My apologies for veering slightly off topic, but what release of the 28 show is a good one, as I have last year's T2000 of both nights and there's something muffled about it that makes it difficult to commit to for very long?  Thanks in advance.

I posted a photo of the April 28, '77 bootleg  I have a few posts above this one. It's the EVSD 40th anniversary release.

5 hours ago, Tainted cheese said:

My apologies for veering slightly off topic, but what release of the 28 show is a good one,

A few months back a fresh master transfer was made of the classic cut-in-between-songs 4/28/77 recording, overseen by Andy Winston (of Winston Remasters fame) himself. There is also an alternate source recording of the show that finally surfaced among the general public a year or so back (it was being hoarded up till then); the alternate is almost as good as the main source and is more complete (i.e. not cut between songs, has the ending of "No Quarter" etc). There's also a matrix version that uses the alternate to patch the main source...can't go wrong with any of those ones!