Led zeppelin 2nd press? (1st orange press)

Timebombprod

Okay so I checked the numbers.

Its Atlantic sd8216

Theres 0698 close by

The code on the record is (st-a-681461 pr) 

And then (st-a-681462 pr) on the second side.

I seen on discog or whatever it is that sd8216 lines up with Canada 1975 print and the Atlantic print in 1969, the numbers on the record dont show up for the Canada print.

The problem is I bought this record for $12, I dont know where to begin lol. 

1st presses of LZ I have -A or -AA cutting letters in the deadwax. 

Apparently single letter dashes (-A) indicated Presswell, double letter (-AA) was for Monarch. When Philips/PRC Recording Co. was added as another Atlantic pressing plant around the time LZ was about to deliver their third album, lacquers for them had three letters (-AAA).
Oh, yes. And Columbia's pressings used lacquers cut by their own selves, with machine-stamped lacquer numbers in the deadwax and all (-1A would be first lacquers from them).

A = Atlantic records 681461 = the first two letters seem to indicate the year released (1968).

"PR" 

Presswell Records Manufacturing Company
Whitehorse Pike & Ehrke Rd.
Ancora (Winslow TWP), NJ 08095

The "PR" in the matrix # denotes Presswell Records Manufacturing Company, founded as a domestic for profit company during October of 1958 and operated as a large vinyl pressing plant in Ancora, New Jersey until it ultimately ceased operations during the 1990s.

Its name sometimes appears printed as Presswell Records Mfg. Co. on test pressings or abbreviated on the labels of vinyl releases as PR, (PR), or -PR either as a floating code or as a suffix addended to the label matrix numbers (chiefly on Atlantic Recording Corporation-related releases).

Likewise, on PolyGram manufactured and other PolyGram-related vinyl releases, it can often be identified the by pressing plant code identification number 18 printed on the labels.

It is known to have made metal parts for Research Craft and Monarch Record Mfg. Co..

Not to be confused with "PR" used in runouts between June 1970 and April 1972 by Philips Recording Company, Inc. or after April 1972 by PRC Recording Company, Richmond, IN.

Presswell probably made the most copies. Other pressing companies who made LZ records include Monarch, Specialty, Columbia Terre Haute, Columbia Pitman, and later on Philips in Richmond, IN.

For example, the earliest pressings of Led Zeppelin I were made simultaneously at Presswell and Monarch (this has been pretty much established by collectors). And possibly at other plants, too. Therefore, to have a "first US pressing" of LZ I, one would need to have a Monarch copy and a Presswell copy, and perhaps some others, as well.

8 hours ago, Timebombprod said:

Good to know! Not like it's going anywhere though!

Just don't lose it like I lost a football card I put in a book when I was likely 6 years old.  Sometime in the 90s I found it and it was Jack Kemps card in perfect condition  Worth $75 then its worth over $200-$300 now.  As he is long passed away.  I suspect my ex wife gave it to her brother to pawn.  Stupid me for ever marrying the bitch.

On 1/12/2021 at 6:39 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Just don't lose it like I lost a football card I put in a book when I was likely 6 years old.  Sometime in the 90s I found it and it was Jack Kemps card in perfect condition  Worth $75 then its worth over $200-$300 now.  As he is long passed away.  I suspect my ex wife gave it to her brother to pawn.  Stupid me for ever marrying the bitch.

Hard to hide this in a book 😂 this ones gonna be played not put away

He prob got robbed for the price he sold it for lol