page , jones , bonham jr & no plant but ?

julieh

New vocalist  

154 members have voted

1. 1. replacement for plant

• Michael White
    • david coverdale
    • Chris Cornell
    • Diamanda Galas
    • john miles
    • no plant no tour
    • instrumental
    • other choice

Robert Plant:

We'd been playing Madison Square Garden for five nights, and I said to Bonzo, "Fucking hell, my voice is gone." And he said, "Nobody cares about that. Just go out and look good"

Bonzo was a very very wise man... :)

No Plant, no tour?

Love how some of you think it's fine for Plant to do Zeppelin tunes without Jimmy or Jonesy, but somehow they aren't supposed go on with out him. WTF? You'll have to explain your reasoning to me on that one.

What on god's green earth gives one person the right to stop brilliant - BRILLIANT - musicians from touring if they want to?

No Plant, no Plant, that's all.

It's his choice, he's free to do whatever. Obviously he has a standing invitation; FAIC it's absurd to think he deserves respect for getting on with touring as long as he wants to, but his old band mates should pine away for the lack of him.

I'd rather see and hear Bonham, Jones and Page play spoons, kazoos and zithers together than bother with Plant again if he continues after this year as purely a solo artist, especially if he keeps playing Zeppelin tunes on his own as if he single-handedly owns that body of work. I've heard him sing for years now, his voice ain't what it used to be, and his taste in music is slowly becoming the indulgence of a hobby. No doubt he's found and will continue to find his niche, and more power to him.

My fondest wish is for his old friends to also find theirs, and they no more need him to do it than he needs them to. Be great if he joins them, but I could give a flying fig if he doesn't. He's hardly the only gifted vocalist on planet Earth.

Page can obviously still deliver spellblindingly powerful guitar, Jones has never been less than great, and Bonham has come into his own.

Robert who?

What do you think about Rod Stewart?

Do I think he's sexy! But no.

I mean the guy obviously has his own musical personality that he has built his entire career on, why risk that by having to be compared with Plant in working with his former bandmates and in working with any band period.

My opinion on any group who loses an integral member is to not replace them. Reform, change your name, and continue to perform if you want.

Oh I know I know!

The Artists Formerly Known As Led Zep.

:D

or

Get Logan Plant on the lead and call it

Led Zeppelin II

again: :D

That should teach Robert Plant

one more time: :D

Bono sings covers better than any artist i know. He can sing The Beatles...Jimi Hendrix...Elvis...Johnny Cash...etc...but I am sure Bono would have the sense NOT TO accept replacing Robert Plant, if the offer was ever extended, LOL. I'm sure it won't be...

It would be a sacrilege to see Bono with another band than U2. Besides, this band has remained tight through the years. The only solo work that Bono ever does is his world missions. When it comes to music, he does not leave home without U2. I do not think Bono will ever consider it.

I cannot think of any other lead singer that can bring the personality which Robert Plant brings to Led Zep songs. But by no means should it hold up JP, JPJ, JB. If together they like to go on the road they should. Jimmy Page has his own fan base who will go see him be it with anyone else. John Paul Jones does not need a fan base to work on anything.

No Plant, no tour?

Love how some of you think it's fine for Plant to do Zeppelin tunes without Jimmy or Jonesy, but somehow they aren't supposed go on with out him. WTF? You'll have to explain your reasoning to me on that one.

What on god's green earth gives one person the right to stop brilliant - BRILLIANT - musicians from touring if they want to?

It's his choice, he's free to do whatever. Obviously he has a standing invitation; FAIC it's absurd to think he deserves respect for getting on with touring as long as he wants to, but his old band mates should pine away for the lack of him.

I'd rather see and hear Bonham, Jones and Page play spoons, kazoos and zithers together than bother with Plant again if he continues after this year as purely a solo artist, especially if he keeps playing Zeppelin tunes on his own as if he single-handedly owns that body of work. I've heard him sing for years now, his voice ain't what it used to be, and his taste in music is slowly becoming the indulgence of a hobby. No doubt he's found and will continue to find his niche, and more power to him.

My fondest wish is for his old friends to also find theirs, and they no more need him to do it than he needs them to. Be great if he joins them, but I could give a flying fig if he doesn't. He's hardly the only gifted vocalist on planet Earth.

Page can obviously still deliver spellblindingly powerful guitar, Jones has never been less than great, and Bonham has come into his own.

Robert who?

:cheer: Well said Sun Child!!

1. Would sound disgusting without a voice

2. There's no voice in the world that sounds like Robert's

3. They wouldn't be Led Zeppelin anymore

I think Robert's gonna give up and they'll tour (I'm an optimist)

Very interesting insight being posted by everyone...A lot of it is that same old song and dance but still interesting all the same.

I've always pondered if a voice makes a band or if it's the music

Kind of like that age old question what comes first the voice or the music and what makes the band.

The chicken or the egg...

How important is a voice vs the music and what do people hear or remember first.

Honestly after all these years even Robert Plant doesn't sound like Robert Plant :P

But I'm a strong believer in tossing things up against the wall just to see what would happen or if it'll stick so I'd be for anything that can be dreamed up-- any line up of people even if it wasn't Robert

it's all about creating a musical magic moment...and the spirit of Led Zeppelin lives forever no matter who's driving.

How about "Zeppelin Idol"??? :D:unsure::rolleyes::mellow::):huh::o:(

Jimmy, JPJ and Jason Bonham are the three judges:

There's a world wide search for the next Led Zeppelin singer.

The winner records vocals for their new album and tours the world with them.

The New album would be called, "Selling Out By The Pound".

maybe not,,... er, um, does anyone remember laughter???..

Just waiting for the 2009 tour and new cd by Page, JPJ, Jason and Robert.

R B)

• 2 weeks later...
No Plant, no tour?

Robert who?

I don't understand where your coming from on this. That's NOT right for a Zeppelin fan to end something like this with 'Robert who?'- that is completely unnecessary and wrong. That is a LED ZEPPELIN member you are speaking about, regardless of what you are feeling. You need to rethink that 'Robert Plant' has been making music and putting albums out for the last several decades while Jimmy Page hasn't released new material in years. I certainly wish he would give new material, but c'mon man you can't go off on Percy like that.

Robert has a planned tour of his own right now and his non-Zeppelin attitude is only because he is focusing on what he is currently doing. When it was time for the reunion, he threw himself into Led Zeppelin all the way. Don't write Robert off, he's got his reasons as does Jimmy, JPJ, and Jason. If the other 3 guys want to tour by themselves then they can go for it. But give Robert the benefit of the doubt! He knows the situation better than any of us do and I don't think that he's trying to be hard headed. He's just doing what he thinks is best.

• 3 weeks later...
No Plant, no tour?

Robert who?

Point to point.

Jimmy and Jonesy both have done Zeppelin tunes without Robert. No one said they can't or shouldn't. If you read the posts here in this thread carefully enough, it means, no Plant, no ZEPPELIN tour, ok?

To the second point, Robert Plant is NOT preventing the others from touring, they can do it with or without him, it's their choice. But again, it would not be Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, and what he is doing now, it's his choice. Please respect it, because it's a standard human right.

And about his voice, it's just natural because he is getting old. Everyone gets old and all voices can change. And he is doing new material because he loves this kind of music, too.

Please don't give a flying fig, it's rude and meaningless.

Page and Jones are both great, Jason is doing well. I agree here with you.

And if you don't know who Robert Plant is, it's really pity for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm dissapointed... :(

I realize that this is a harmless poll...

I also realize just as much as the next guy that Plant's voice isn't what it used to be... we all know he lost that sometime in 1972...

Still, if they got a new vocalist, but kept the Zeppelin name.., well, lets not talk about what I'd do.

The main difference in Plant doing some Zeppelin tunes is that he didn't tour under the Zeppelin name. Thats entirely fine if you ask me, and the other members could do that if they wish as well - Hell, Jimmy played tons of Zeppelin tunes when he toured with the Black Crowes in, what was it, 95? And they were all pretty good.

I'm still at a conflict with myself about the Jason Bonham thing... hes lucky he did a good job at O2. <_< lol. I still think they should've played under a different name...

I vote for NO PLANT, NO ZEPPELIN TOUR.

If they choose to tour without Plant tho, I would vote for Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes, because his voice fit pretty well with the set of Zeppelin tunes that the Black Crowes and Jimmy Page played on that tour of theirs a while back.

Anyways, the terms "reunion tour" makes it seem too "over-the-hill" for me

No Plant, no tour?

Robert who?

3 cheers for sunchild ;I couldn't agree more with what you've said .At the end of the day common sense "MUST" prevail.

I love RP's voice and consider him completely integral to the LZ sound, so I don't think they should call it LZ without him, however, I would love to see the others perform with Ann Wilson.

She's got the pipes, enough reverence to be faithful to RP's style of singing, and she's not just a cheap replacement--an insult. It would really pain me if the others toured as LZ with someone like DC.

I say move along without Plant. He, contrary to what he believes, is not bigger than the group. Give him his chance to join in, after his previously committed engagements with Alison. If he has no desire to join up with Page, Jones and Bonham, then move on without him. Perhaps something like New Zep would be fitting or call it Led Zeppelin just to show that it is not a one man show.

I would be more than happy just to see the other three tour, either as Led Zep or not: their choice. Let Plant continue to let his ego fuel his desires. How anyone can vote "no Plant, no tour" is beyond all reasoning -- why should he be the decision maker? Put yourself in Page or Jones or Bonham's shoes and see if you would still vote that way. I think not! Give Plant his chance and move on with or without him. They aren't going to live forever -- one last hurrah would be great while they still can rock!

• 2 weeks later...
No Plant, no tour.

Besides what would they call themselves? Not Led Zeppelin for sure.

Maybe:

Led

Led Zeppelin: Unplanted

The band formerly known as Led Zeppelin

or if they went instrumental: Led Steamroller, they would certainly be a hit at Christmas.

I would wait in line at Wal-mart to dig their cd out of the cd bargain bin.

Haha funny suggestions for names

• 3 weeks later...

No Robert Plant No Led Zeppelin period! You should all be ashamed of yourself even thinking that they would replace Plant is unbelievable! But most of you probably were not around in the 70's so you really don't know what Zeppelin was about. Magizine articles don't do what they were about justice. You had to be alive and into it at that time to get it. I see here that most don't get it! LED ZEPPELIN without Robert Plant is like the bible without Jesus. The same people bashing Robert Plant are the same ones who will be praising him if they do another show or tour. But I have a feeling if they did tour or do another show it would not be good enough for any of you bashers out there. It will never be enough. YOUR NOT REAL LED ZEPPELIN FANS!

Archived