3 & 4

ally

Alway's thought Zep 4 was in their minds what they wanted to do on 3. If you think of both albums as a double how do you think it would stack up against PG.

A better question is how would the outtakes would have changed each album they were initially recorded for:

White Summer and Baby Come On Home were recorded in '68 during the I sessions.

Bron Yr Aur, Poor Tom and Hey, Hey What Can I Do were recorded in '70 during the III sessions.

Down By The Seaside, Night Flight and Boogie With Stu were recorded in '71 during the sessions for IV.

The Rover, HOTH, Black Country Woman and Walter's Walk were recorded in '72 during the HOTH sessions.

Ozone Baby, Darlene and Wearing and Tearing were recorded in '78 during the ITTOD sessions.

And per Steve's suggestion, here's what the stuff recorded only for PG would look like:

Side one

"Custard Pie" (Jimmy Page, Robert Plant) – 4:13

"In My Time of Dying" (Page, Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham) – 11:05

"Trampled Under Foot" (Page, Plant, Jones) – 5:36

"Kashmir" (Page, Plant, Bonham) – 8:29

Side twoi

"In the Light" (Page, Plant, Jones) – 8:46

"Ten Years Gone" (Page, Plant) – 6:32

"The Wanton Song" (Page, Plant) – 4:07

"Sick Again" (Page, Plant) – 4:42

PG would have been awsome as a single LP. I've alway's thought it overated because it was a double. However I burnt 3 & 4 at random on to a couple of disks and together they meld together quite nicely. However... having an album of the material as they recorded it works too.

The thing that has to be considered, too, is that III was critically reviled when it initally came out. It took more than a decade for it to truly be appreciated critically (I remember seeing it in cut-out bins even into the late 80s). But without III and the backlash of critics/acceptance of fans, there is no IV.

Here's a track listing that could've been possible (at least in my eyes). Sorta have the electric stuff first, then the slower, acoustic songs after it.

Side 1:

Rock And Roll

Celebration Day

Black Dog

Since I've Been Loving You

Side 2:

Immigrant Song

Out on the Tiles

Four Sticks

Misty Mountain Hop

When the Levee Breaks

Side 3:

Hats Off to Roy Harper

Tangerine

Friends

Gallows Pole

The Battle of Evermore

Side 4:

Going to California

That's the Way

Bron Yr Aur Stomp

Stairway to Heaven

The thing that has to be considered, too, is that III was critically reviled when it initally came out. It took more than a decade for it to truly be appreciated critically (I remember seeing it in cut-out bins even into the late 80s). But without III and the backlash of critics/acceptance of fans, there is no IV.

Totally agree. I love 3 and was in no way bashing it. I just think the two albums have a similar feel about them. PG seems to get so much acclaim. I just think 3$4 would have made a better double and PG a better single. A single PG would be a worthy candidate as they're best album

Here's a track listing that could've been possible (at least in my eyes). Sorta have the electric stuff first, then the slower, acoustic songs after it.

Side 1:

Rock And Roll

Celebration Day

Black Dog

Since I've Been Loving You

Side 2:

Immigrant Song

Out on the Tiles

Four Sticks

Misty Mountain Hop

When the Levee Breaks

Side 3:

Hats Off to Roy Harper

Tangerine

Friends

Gallows Pole

The Battle of Evermore

Side 4:

Going to California

That's the Way

Bron Yr Aur Stomp

Stairway to Heaven

Yep... that looks pretty good. They could have called it.... THOR.

I always felt each album was a summation of where they were at the time. I'd actually

prefer Physical Graffiti to have been a single lp as opposed to a double. Imagine what

a monster THAT would be!

I think most (good) double albums have too much material for one album, but not quite enough for two. PG is certainly a case in point, some stuff is certainly weaker than others, but I don't think there's much on PG I would like to sacrifice!

What other double albums would I apply this to?

The Beatles White Album certainly has a few low points (mainly Harrison's songs, for me).

Dylan's Blonde on Blonde is almost there, but padded out a bit with a 12 minute song that takes up a whole side.

Cream's Wheels of Fire could maybe do with a couple nmore songs instead of Toad.

The Stones Exile doesn't have too much I would like to dispose of.

I guess for me the ultimate double album would be Electric Ladyland, the whole album is a killer as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for blabbing on about vinyl...I know this was pretty much replaced 25 years ago!

I think most (good) double albums have too much material for one album, but not quite enough for two. PG is certainly a case in point, some stuff is certainly weaker than others, but I don't think there's much on PG I would like to sacrifice!

The Beatles White Album certainly has a few low points (mainly Harrison's songs, for me).

Dylan's Blonde on Blonde is almost there, but padded out a bit with a 12 minute song that takes up a whole side.

Cream's Wheels of Fire could maybe do with a couple nmore songs instead of Toad.

I guess for me the ultimate double album would be Electric Ladyland, the whole album is a killer as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for blabbing on about vinyl...I know this was pretty much replaced 25 years ago!

Agree with you about double LP's. Johnny Winter got it right with the 3 sided 2nd Winter. have Could only happen on vinyl.

I think thats valid point but due to the CD age alot of albums now are almost Doubles in the old vinyl sence of the word and thus alot of albums now days are week due to fillers having to be put in !!

I think the Harrisons songs on The White album are great (Sorry) but do agree with Electric ladyland though it is a killer album !! Have you seen the dvd on the making of it, really interesting !!

Alway's thought Zep 4 was in their minds what they wanted to do on 3. If you think of both albums as a double how do you think it would stack up against PG.

I think III and IV are better as they are than as combined. I think IV is the best of the bunch, so I don't think it needs to be made better. Just my opinion though.

I think III and IV are better as they are than as combined. I think IV is the best of the bunch, so I don't think it needs to be made better. Just my opinion though.

Yes its a complete album the 4th, but I tend to listen to III more !!

Well, I believe IV is the best album ever created by humans. I love all the rest including III but Id rate PG and II ahead of III. III is very differant. I would rate it as one of the best album covers of all time back when people bought albums.

Yes I don't think its as good as the ones you say but I just tend to have listened to it lots more !!

Well, I believe IV is the best album ever created by humans. I love all the rest including III but Id rate PG and II ahead of III. III is very differant. I would rate it as one of the best album covers of all time back when people bought albums.

We still haven't been able to top Marty Martian's masterpiece, "Surfing With Me."

surf-alien.jpg

All of Zepps albums were a summation of where they were at that time, except for Physical Graffiti because that had some stuff that they did from 1970-1975.

But 3 was a departure from 1 and 2 a little bit. They did some softer stuff and showed other influences they had not just the blues stuff they showed in the first 2. 4 went back to being heavy but also mixed the softer stuff in with it and showed all of the sides the band had. And every album after ward seemed to try and do the saem thing.

Ah, we discussed this topic at length on the old board. I posed these exact 2 questions: How kick-ass would Physical Graffiti be if it just included the tracks recorded for it, and how would each album be improved (or not), if it included the outtakes recorded for it. For instance, I wanted The Crunge gone from HOTH, and replaced with the song HOTH. Boom! Better album.

Ah, we discussed this topic at length on the old board. I posed these exact 2 questions: How kick-ass would Physical Graffiti be if it just included the tracks recorded for it, and how would each album be improved (or not), if it included the outtakes recorded for it. For instance, I wanted The Crunge gone from HOTH, and replaced with the song HOTH. Boom! Better album.

WASN'T ON THE OLD BOARD MY MAN. THE CONCEPT WAS THROWN OUT THERE . I JUST FEEL THATTHE TWO ALBUMS SOUND GOOD AS ONE. THE DIF BETWEEN THE TWO IS THE QUALITY OF THE RECORDING. BUT WITHOUT A DOUBT THAT REPRESENTED WHERE THEY WERE AT.

The Crunge is a great song. Nice James Brown tribute.

Physical Graffiti was perfect the way it was released, to me it flows perfectly given that the songs were written and recorded over a number of different sessions.

Don't forget also that this was their Swan Song debut and perhaps they wanted to make a bigger statement with it thus why not release a double album. After all they are now on their Own Label so to speak.

RjK

Archived