2021 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

Ok, so the Rockies basically gave away Nolan Arenado and sent 50 million to the Cardinals. I'm watching Around the Horn on youtube & Woody Paige calls this the 2nd worst trade in MLB history (Babe Ruth still #1). I'm guessing kingzoso has no complaints, though.

I'm still waiting for the Mets to land Trevor Bauer....

10 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Ok, so the Rockies basically gave away Nolan Arenado and sent 50 million to the Cardinals. I'm watching Around the Horn on youtube & Woody Paige calls this the 2nd worst trade in MLB history (Babe Ruth still #1). I'm guessing kingzoso has no complaints, though.

I have no complaints but I honestly do not know much about Nolan Arenado.  Is he that good?

6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ He was in Colorado, 8 Gold Gloves and can swing the bat...

He is a real talent at Third base, the old "hot corner".  He can hit but he is the first major Rockies player to be traded or go to another team in his prime.

I am usually suspicious of Colorado Rockies players hitting stats due to the clear advantage they have playing half their games in Colorado.
So I looked up lifetime slugging percentage (a good overall batting stat) of Rockies players home and away, and compared that to other great hitters home and away.  It turns out that Arenado is typical of Rockies players.  The home vs away difference in slugging percentage is much greater for Rockies players than other players of the modern era. 
Career Slugging % Home vs Away
Rockies Players
Arenado    .609        .471
Helton        .607        .469
Blackmon    .583        .431
Walker        .637        .495  Walker spent some early years in Montreal and late years in St. Louis.  His career numbers for Colorado may be even more skewed than this.

Non Rockies Players
Harper        .524        .502
Trout        .583        .581
Cabrera    .561        .520
Pujols        .546        .546
Rockies players clearly have very inflated hitting stats while playing half their games in Colorado.  They will not fare so well when them play almost all their games away from Colorado.  Other great hitters are much more consistent home vs away for their careers.
The same pattern emerges when I look at the old school greats like Aaron, Mays, Williams, Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle.  Their slugging % was much closer home vs away than the Rockies hitters.  Rockies hitters are overrated based on inflated stats from playing in Colorado. 

Edited by John M

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Ron Guidry - 1978 - (25-3) 1.74 ERA, 16 CG and 9 SO. 248 K’s in 273 innings pitched. All in the face of Reggie/Billy Martin....Bob Lemon, etc  Plus winning the one game playoff in Boston on limited rest. I ran home from elementary school to watch that one. 

Greatest pitching season ever. 

Edited by Walter

On 2/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, paul carruthers said:

Are they going to play 162?  Or is it still up for debate?  Are we having a contest?  Or is that also up for debate?  With the vaccine in full swing and June or July the worst case scenario of all being vaccinated (those that will actually do it), I would think they may try a full schedule and try to put full fan capacity back by June?  But it might be a state by state thing?  

And WTF Curly?  We have a half of foot of snow on the ground and the Super Bowl is yet to be played and Hockey and NBA are going on and you are thinking of baseball already?  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

What has gotten into some of the owners?  They are starting to actually sign players to reasonable contracts.  For example, the Phillies signed Realmuto to 5 years instead of the usual stupid 8 - 10 for a top star.  It was especially smart because he is a catcher and will be past his prime when the contract ends.  Then they signed Gregorius to 2 years, and he turns 31 this spring.  In past years someone would have signed Gregorius to some ridiculously long contract for a player his age.

Smart.

Two of the worst long term deals that were signed in the past decade were Pujols and Cabrera.  As could have been easily predicted, their production went way down at around age 33, yet both were signed to something like 40.

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Are they going to play 162?  Or is it still up for debate?  Are we having a contest?  Or is that also up for debate?  With the vaccine in full swing and June or July the worst case scenario of all being vaccinated (those that will actually do it), I would think they may try a full schedule and try to put full fan capacity back by June?  But it might be a state by state thing?  

And WTF Curly?  We have a half of foot of snow on the ground and the Super Bowl is yet to be played and Hockey and NBA are going on and you are thinking of baseball already?  

Heh, I'm always thinking of baseball in some capacity.  😁 But seriously,  I'm "juiced" because the Mets are very close to signing Trevor Bauer; unless he sings with the Dodgers, then I'll be like the hell with him...

Right now, there's a great pissing contest between MLB brass & the players union (nothing new on that front), but when push comes to shove, I think they'll get it done to play a full season. As far as a contest, I think I'll leave it up to Walter. With co-vid and everything, I might run out of paper, trying to keep up with the myriad of cancellations that might be coming this season...

Edited by paul carruthers

Well, fuck--the Mets just lost the Trevor Bauer sweepstakes, and Blake Snell signed with the Padres months ago, so I don't know what avenues the Mets have left to try and strengthen that rotation. Maybe I'll hold off on my Wild Card aspirations...

:(

Edited by paul carruthers

On 2/5/2021 at 5:23 PM, paul carruthers said:

Well, fuck--the Mets just lost the Trevor Bauer sweepstakes, and Blake Snell signed with the Padres months ago, so I don't know what avenues the Mets have left to try and strengthen that rotation. Maybe I'll hold off on my Wild Card aspirations...

:(

Hey Curly, I can’t remember who Matt Harvey pitched for?  It appears Orioles have signed Felix Hernandez and Harvey hoping they can help the two young studs Kremer and John Means who I have MUCH faith in to rekindle our return to importance in MLB!   If you read this first King or Sean or EBK please jump in😀

On 2/26/2021 at 7:39 PM, Strider said:

Apparently the San Diego Padres are serious about challenging the Dodgers for the NL West. Should be a good dogfight.

Yeah.  Maybe.  Or a Shepherd vs a Poodle.  LOL.  No likely they may have the 2nd or 3rd best record?  But not sure how good the rest of the division will be?  Like Colorado, Arizona?  I know one thing, my Orioles will suck.   If you believe the experts.  I hope they are wrong but my gut is they might be right.  The worst team?  Not so sure.  My pick in the Central will be the Chicago White Sox.  Its been over 100 years since the 1919 Black Sox scandal. If you ever want to hear a real good version of the real story, podcast on YouTube called Infamous America is very good.  They do one on DB Cooper that is great too.  

Joe Altobelli, who managed the Baltimore Orioles to their last world series title in 1983, has passed at the age of 88.  I had the honor of meeting Joe twice.  At Tommy LaSorda's dinner here and at Finger Lakes race track.  Great manager of the Rochester Red Wings also.   Cal Ripken and Jim Palmer have already passed on their condolences.

• 2 weeks later...