2021 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

I was just thinking how screwy baseball is sometimes--the top brass in charge at least. First, baseball was too home run happy, they needed to do something to rectify that. And now with the pendulum switching, there's people bitching about too much pitching & too many "no hitters", so lets ban pitchers using gunk to add more movement to the ball.

As Lou Costello would say "Would you make up your mind." The whole thing with the enforcement of new rules mid-season & banning "Spider Tack," (Whatever the hell that is), just gives me a headache...

<_<

• 2 weeks later...

45 years ago tonight I was a 16 year old kid sitting down the upper deck 1st baseline in Tiger Stadium watching Mark The Bird Fidrych beat the Yankees.  The rest of the nation watched on Monday Night Baseball, and he was no longer ours.  He was a flash in the pan, but no fluke.  He was a 21 year old rookie and led the league with 24 complete games, including 5 that went into extra innings.  In the modern game he would have been shut down in August.  The Bird was the word in 1976, and I'll never forget him.   RIP Mark !    

58 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

45 years ago tonight I was a 16 year old kid sitting down the upper deck 1st baseline in Tiger Stadium watching Mark The Bird Fidrych beat the Yankees.  The rest of the nation watched on Monday Night Baseball, and he was no longer ours.  He was a flash in the pan, but no fluke.  He was a 21 year old rookie and led the league with 24 complete games, including 5 that went into extra innings.  In the modern game he would have been shut down in August.  The Bird was the word in 1976, and I'll never forget him.   RIP Mark !    

How cool you got to experience that live, Bong-Man! That was definitely a defining moment in baseball. I was one of the millions watching Bob Uecker call the game on ABC's Monday Night Baseball. The Bird was a sensation that year and got a lot of young fans interested in the sport. R.I.P. Mark.

On 6/30/2021 at 12:11 PM, Bong-Man said:

Great memory Bonger.  I remember him and that year. Good you got to see the game

On 6/29/2021 at 8:16 AM, paul carruthers said:

I haven't done the online voting for the All-Star game, but is there any doubt who's going to start for the NL?

Uh oh.   Here comes Atlanta.   Can anyone believe my Orioles went into Houston and swept the bitch's?  This after they came into Camden and pretty much throttled us and swept us there.  I never expected we could go down there and sweep them.  And Harvey started the last game!  Means has not pitched in ages.  I am wondering if he is another victim of Tommy John surgery?

On 6/30/2021 at 1:15 PM, Strider said:

How cool you got to experience that live, Bong-Man! That was definitely a defining moment in baseball. I was one of the millions watching Bob Uecker call the game on ABC's Monday Night Baseball. The Bird was a sensation that year and got a lot of young fans interested in the sport. R.I.P. Mark.

I always chuckle when Bob Uecker tells the story of the post-game interview.  Bird didn't want to do it, but his veteran teammates like Staub & Horton kept teasing him in the clubhouse, telling him they're gonna pay you !  So when he came out, he looked right at Eucker and asked, "Hey...do I get paid for this ?"  Eucker rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah kid...don't worry about it...we'll send you something in the mail".  Eucker didn't understand that as a 10th round pick and only being on the major league roster for 4 weeks making the minimum, Bird was broke.  He had sent his only checks home to his parents.

My Tigers are playing well.  Hopefully we've turned the corner and the worst is behind us.

Edited by Bong-Man

You ever have one of those nights when the streaming service you use to watch ballgames on your laptop just craps out on you for no apparent reason? Or maybe it will run smooth for 5 innings then go to hell in the middle of a Mets offensive explosion, meaning you miss all the good stuff, including Lindor hitting his 1st Grand Slam for the Mets. Oh well, I'll get over it & enjoy the Quick Pitch highlights...

😔 

11 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ How you doing ebk, hope all is well...  🙂

Hi Paul!  :wave:

Other than my job sucking at the moment, things are swell - thanks for asking!  Hope you're well. 

Going to the game tomorrow, so I hope the rain holds off.  Although, if it doesn't, it just means we get to dinner earlier.  Which is never a problem :D 

I almost forgot this is the last day before the All-Star break. I don't even know if I want to watch the game on Tuesday--still on the fence about that one.

And congrats to Redrum's Giants who have the best record in all of the Majors. Currently pounding on the Nationals is great, too...  :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I almost forgot this is the last day before the All-Star break. I don't even know if I want to watch the game on Tuesday--still on the fence about that one.

And congrats to Redrum's Giants who have the best record in all of the Majors. Currently pounding on the Nationals is great, too...  :thumbsup:

👍 Don't let up, boys.