2021 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

5 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I got a couple of emails alerting me that Pete Alonso won the HR Derby--congrats, I guess...  😏

Your Met beat elk's and Rick's Oriole…so you got something to crow about, at least.

And if you thought the Home Run Derby was bad, you should have seen the DEBACLE that was the 'Celebrity All-Star' Softball game. I put celebrity all-star in quotes because there were only a few that I actually recognized. Jennie Finch. Steve Aoki. DK Metcalf. DK Metcalf actually was struck out by some rapper from Migos. Some of the worst play in a celebrity softball game I have ever seen. The softball team from "Happy Days" or "Seinfeld" would have destroyed these bums. Yesterday's game made the old "Battle of the Network Stars" look like Olympic-caliber athletes.

7 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I got a couple of emails alerting me that Pete Alonso won the HR Derby--congrats, I guess...  😏

Yes Paul - once again, the Mets take out the Os.   Some things never change.  :D 

And Sean,  I thought the Derby was fun.  I grabbed the remote as soon as the "celebrity" softball game started, though.  What a waste of time. 

Edited by ebk

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

What a stupid name.  They're really going to have reservations about that one.  Of course, Cleveland's World Series history is a trail of tears, so it probably doesn't matter.  (See what I'm doing here?)

3 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Realistically, I wasn't expecting the Mets to land Scherzer, but since he's going to the Dodgers I guess many will punch their ticket to late October again....

Not excited about Baez?  I have no opinion on this, just wondering. 

18 minutes ago, ebk said:

Not excited about Baez?  I have no opinion on this, just wondering. 

I like what I've seen of Baez on the late night highlights & the Mets need something to try & rejuvenate their "woeful" offense, so if he comes in & produces, I will be happy...

On 8/5/2021 at 6:03 PM, paul carruthers said:

Baseball is really depressing right now. Maybe I should take a break from it until the playoffs start?

:unsure:

My condolences to you and your Mets who are free falling.  The Phillies are hot and in first, but its those pesky Braves who are right there again.  I have this parlay I played before season that still has a shot.  White Sox, Athletics and Braves to win their divisions.  Well, Im getting my moneys worth.  You now have your Dolphins to watch soon.  I am picking them to get a wild card.  

2 hours ago, redrum said:

Hope SF wins 100+ games, takes the division and the series. Happy to see the Brewers in it too. 

Congrats on a shocking season by the Giants.  My boy Gausman is on the team.  He was a good pitcher for my Orioles.  I am pretty surprised SF is doing so well I must admit.  They have the WC locked in at the worst.  The Dodgers may still have a say in the division.  But the Series?  You will have to get by the Dodgers to get there.  I personally believe the Dodgers are still the team to beat.   Milwaukee seems to have the central locked up and give the Reds credit for hanging in. Not sure how many Wild cards there are?  Is it 2 or 3?  If 3 then the Reds can get one.  They are not out of the race yet.  The Mets have free fallen and those pesky Braves are back in first.  At least of last night they were tied with the Phillies.  The A's beat the Indians last night by two TD's and a FG.  LOL.  17-0 in baseball on the freaking road.  They are only like a game or two out of first.  I bet this 3 teamer start of the year for White Sox, Braves and Athletics to win their divisions. I still have a shot at that one. 

Not a thing has gone right for my team.  Means loses last night to the damn Tigers.  WTF

Starting to wonder if the O's have quit on Hyde?  I realize we need pitching but we were doing a bit bette than this earlier.  I see the Mets are free falling and the Reds, yes those forgotten Reds are now right on the heels of the Padres who are also currently free falling.  Would that be something if the Reds got in?

RIP Bill Freehan....The Tigers' catcher of my youth.  A 15 year career with 11 All-Star appearances.  He was the premiere catcher of his era, and an integral part of the Tigers 1968 championship team.  My heart goes out to his family, as he suffered from dementia for a number of years.  

freehan.jpg

18 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

RIP Bill Freehan....The Tigers' catcher of my youth.  A 15 year career with 11 All-Star appearances.  He was the premiere catcher of his era, and an integral part of the Tigers 1968 championship team.  My heart goes out to his family, as he suffered from dementia for a number of years.  

freehan.jpg

So that means he caught for Denny McClain.  The 30 game winner.   My condolences.  

Boy do my Orioles suck.  I think they have quit on Hyde totally.  Not even Means is pitching.  WTF?  

lolich.jpg.2769e87a0dfa6db017aabf8da61f529a.jpg

So that means he caught for Denny McClain.  The 30 game winner.   My condolences.  

He also caught Mickey Lolich, in more ways than one.  He was also the runner-up to Mclain in the MVP voting in 1968.  I don't remember if battery mates ever finished 1 & 2 in the voting in either league.

I'll never get used to the new rule of someone starting out at 2nd base in extra innings.  I can't tell you how many times I've thought I missed a double.  7 inning games are even worse.  I certainly understand why the players like it, but in my mind they're messing with every stat ever.

lolich.jpg

Edited by Bong-Man

10 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I'll never get used to the new rule of someone starting out at 2nd base in extra innings.  I can't tell you how many times I've thought I missed a double.  7 inning games are even worse.  I certainly understand why the players like it, but in my mind they're messing with every stat ever.

The commissioner says that those will go away after this season - they were just pandemic responses.  He'd better keep to that because both of those things are awful.  What it thin - Little League??  (Although if you look at the Os these days, your answer might be "yes").