How to Launch A Site Like This For Another Artist

SteveAJones

One of my goals is to launch a site like this for another artist later this year. I realize sam_webmaster may be unable to contribute to this thread on account of proprietary concerns, but perhaps some advice can be shared from others?

I'm seeking a ballpark figure on what it would cost to launch and maintain, and some of the biggest challenges I would face maintaining it. I don't think I would want to necessarily be that involved in the site admin or moderation aspects, just the owner/executive role. If I can secure a licensing agreement with the artist's Japanese management company to be considered an official site, that would bring it's own unique challenges and benefits. I welcome your thoughts. 

I use to develop web sites for a living, although it was long enough ago that I can't give you up to date cost data. That said, the first question I would ask is how do you plan to make money from the site? Without advertisements or a direct tie to a merchandise store, this kind of site will be a financial drain. You can get out of the box code that will get the site up and running quickly, but if you want to customize it, the development costs will add up quickly. Also, hosting costs will vary based on how much traffic the site gets. And at minimum you'll need someone like Sam to administer the site. If you want custom content beyond member generated topics and comments, that will be another cost. And for the site to thrive, you'll want exposure in social media, which requires people who specialize in that kind of thing. If your site becomes the official one for the band, you may get some of that for free from the band's management company, but if it's unofficial, how will you get the word out that the site even exits? Unfortunately, "If you build it, they will come" only works in the movies. I'd also ask if the band you're considering doing this for is still active or retired? If they're active, are they at the start of their career with a good chance to get bigger and so bring a constant influx of new people to your site, or are they past their peak, which will likely mean fewer visitors to the site in the future?

19 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

I use to develop web sites for a living, although it was long enough ago that I can't give you up to date cost data. That said, the first question I would ask is how do you plan to make money from the site? Without advertisements or a direct tie to a merchandise store, this kind of site will be a financial drain. You can get out of the box code that will get the site up and running quickly, but if you want to customize it, the development costs will add up quickly. Also, hosting costs will vary based on how much traffic the site gets. And at minimum you'll need someone like Sam to administer the site. If you want custom content beyond member generated topics and comments, that will be another cost. And for the site to thrive, you'll want exposure in social media, which requires people who specialize in that kind of thing. If your site becomes the official one for the band, you may get some of that for free from the band's management company, but if it's unofficial, how will you get the word out that the site even exits? Unfortunately, "If you build it, they will come" only works in the movies. I'd also ask if the band you're considering doing this for is still active or retired? If they're active, are they at the start of their career with a good chance to get bigger and so bring a constant influx of new people to your site, or are they past their peak, which will likely mean fewer visitors to the site in the future?

SteveZ98! All great points to ponder. The site I have in mind is meant to be more of a homage and labor of love than a money making venture. I suppose I could use it to plug the book I'm writing. Anyway, it's for a Japanese singer, Chisato Moritaka, who's golden era was the '80s & 90s. She has since returned over the past few years to doing live performances and touring. In fact the biggest challenge seems to be how do I attract and retain the interest of her Japanese fan base (not to mention the Western World!) in the site and the book if they are presented predominantly in English.

CHISATO MORITAKA - Watashi ga Obasan ni Natte mo - YouTube