Harvey Goldsmith's Blog

At the end of the day we know alot of true fans got in which is great , but if their was justice everyone on here would of got one !! I think like Iron maiden their official fans can get hold of tickets thru their website as members, that would be a good idea here IF they Zep did a few more shows as this is the official site !!

Who knew if the passcodes that were bought were going to honored... soo many true fans just relied on the ballot system and didnt even think of buying passcodes. I think it was more a question of -the proposed rules....as opposed to right/wrong way of going about it. I guess it just worked out the way it worked out. But ofcourse in hindsight... if we all only knew. Oh well.

At the end of the day we know alot of true fans got in which is great , but if their was justice everyone on here would of got one !! I think like Iron maiden their official fans can get hold of tickets thru their website as members, that would be a good idea here IF they Zep did a few more shows as this is the official site !!

Remember the madness of loads of people joining the forum just prior to the lottery draw? Many it seems joining thinking it would help them get tickets.

Zep don't have an official fan club and just a forum doesn't aid tickets for real fans if they were being sold. This place will be swamped again if a tour was announced.

Many here weren't lucky in the draw, I wasn't but was able to go in the end thanks to someone else winning in the lottery.

I'm not sure how it would or could work for priority for forum users cos there are other forums with just as big if not bigger fans than some here who wouldn't get priority.

but I t hink there should be some way around it if a tour happened. Mind you the ticket agencies wouldn't give a fuck whogets them.

Remember the madness of loads of people joining the forum just prior to the lottery draw? Many it seems joining thinking it would help them get tickets.

Zep don't have an official fan club and just a forum doesn't aid tickets for real fans if they were being sold. This place will be swamped again if a tour was announced.

Many here weren't lucky in the draw, I wasn't but was able to go in the end thanks to someone else winning in the lottery.

I'm not sure how it would or could work for priority for forum users cos there are other forums with just as big if not bigger fans than some here who wouldn't get priority.

but I t hink there should be some way around it if a tour happened. Mind you the ticket agencies wouldn't give a fuck whogets them.

Yes your probably right I think I am just an idealist, maybe they could say people with only 2000 posts only could get them :) hold on thats me out :) , I think if they do some more then I hope people on here who didn't manage to go like yourself will be lucky next time !!

i think it's great that they tried to stop the touts, however they should have said beforehand what they were going to do, so that the touts wouldn't have applied in the first place. And/or have some mechanism for people who get more tickets than they want to get rid of them AT NO MORE THAN FACE VALUE, similar to what the fan-to-fan ticket exchanges are trying to do

I hate touts, but equally, for the foo fighters' recent tour, i bought a ticket for saturday at the o2, quickly realised i was actually meant to be seeing bill bailey in nottingham on that date, so bought a sunday ticket. Then, a bit later, they announced a date in nottingham (my home town) - much more convenient than london!

I actually didn't know about the ticket exchanges at the time. I also would want to be able to charge the entire cost of getting the tickets (i.e. including the transaction fee, not just the face value, so that i wasn't losing any money over it)

It might be good if Ebay were to do something like that regarding the sale of concert tickets. Instead of having auctions, they could establish a rule whereby all spare tickets are sold as "Buy now", at face value only. That would at least deter the scalpers from attempting to sell theirs on Ebay as they wouldn't be making a profit.

On the downside, this method doesn't stop touts from purchasing the tickets in the first place, then flogging them outside the venue on the day for big bucks. :(

Regarding the atmosphere inside the 02 ... it was great but it might have been better if the couldn't-give-a-fig corporate block had been allocated the upper tier seats, with the lower tiers reserved for those fans who in reality ended up in the upper tiers. The atmosphere would then have been a lot more potent as a result of the close proximity of standing to seated fans.

Regarding the atmosphere inside the 02 ... it was great but it might have been better if the couldn't-give-a-fig corporate block had been allocated the upper tier seats, with the lower tiers reserved for those fans who in reality ended up in the upper tiers. The atmosphere would then have been a lot more potent as a result of the close proximity of standing to seated fans.

That would have been good. B)

Interesting^ and interesting how money always gets what it wants. Well, it'll make for a peaceful filming of the show then i guess. The corporate thing isnt surprising, but the ballot system still is...

All I know is that the vast majority of seated ticket holders I spoke to on the day were in the upper tiers - and I conversed with a LOT of people. I attended as a purchaser's guest so I wasn't aware of the specifics of purchasing, but I got the impression that almost everyone with seated tickets had only been offered upper tier seats at the point of purchase. :( Don't know how true this is but that's the impression I got.

All I know is that the vast majority of seated ticket holders I spoke to on the day were in the upper tiers - and I conversed with a LOT of people. I attended as a purchaser's guest so I wasn't aware of the specifics of purchasing, but I got the impression that almost everyone with seated tickets had only been offered upper tier seats at the point of purchase. :( Don't know how true this is but that's the impression I got.

But did it really affect the vibe of the show...as you suggested before. As far as tickets go, i guess it practically ended up being like a regular show, same old ticket delegation.

Aside from the lottery that is...

But did it really affect the vibe of the show...as you suggested before. As far as tickets go, i guess it practically ended up being like a regular show, same old ticket delegation.

Aside from the lottery that is...

It didn't affect the show itself but I still think it would have been better if more lower tier seats had been made available to actual fans - I'm not inferring that there were NO fans whatsoever in the corporate blocks (I'm aware some genuine fans did actually fork out thousands for corporate hospitality tickets) but there was sufficient evidence to suggest that many of the "white shirts" in attendance didn't particularly care about being there for Zep or for the tribute - the long-vacated seats and constant trips to the bar, for example.

If the corporate block were there mainly for the free booze and vol-au-vents then theoretically it shouldn't have bothered them where they were sitting, so long as there was a bar and buffet within easy reach. No doubt the fans present were grateful for the chance to see Led Zeppelin, but I'd wager that most of those fans in the upper tiers, given the opportunity, would have happily traded their seats for ones lower down. The location of one's seat is always going to be a bigger deal to a fan than someone who's there to partake of their company's hospitality first and foremost.

It didn't affect the show itself but I still think it would have been better if more lower tier seats had been made available to actual fans - I'm not inferring that there were NO fans whatsoever in the corporate blocks (I'm aware some genuine fans did actually fork out thousands for corporate hospitality tickets) but there was sufficient evidence to suggest that many of the "white shirts" in attendance didn't particularly care about being there for Zep or for the tribute - the long-vacated seats and constant trips to the bar, for example.

If the corporate block were there mainly for the free booze and vol-au-vents then theoretically it shouldn't have bothered them where they were sitting, so long as there was a bar and buffet within easy reach. No doubt the fans present were grateful for the chance to see Led Zeppelin, but I'd wager that most of those fans in the upper tiers, given the opportunity, would have happily traded their seats for ones lower down. The location of one's seat is always going to be a bigger deal to a fan than someone who's there to partake of their company's hospitality first and foremost.

There seems to have been quite a few from different forums in the upper tiers, so was i because my ticket holder requested seating rather than standing. No idea how seats were originally allocated.

But there were lots of people up and dancing throughout the show up in the hills. Some I guess were a little afraid to do so cos it was a bit steep up there.

For me personally i just had to be there so the viewpoint was not as important as being there.

But i do share your point about the coporate/celeb stuff, that was one of my main gripes about the organization by HG.

People wil always make trips to the bar at shows regardless of who is playing and i don't think we can chastize people for that just because we choose n to not miss every second of the show.

I catherterized myself the morning of the show just for that very reason :D

There seems to have been quite a few from different forums in the upper tiers, so was i because my ticket holder requested seating rather than standing. No idea how seats were originally allocated.

But there were lots of people up and dancing throughout the show up in the hills. Some I guess were a little afraid to do so cos it was a bit steep up there.

For me personally i just had to be there so the viewpoint was not as important as being there.

But i do share your point about the coporate/celeb stuff, that was one of my main gripes about the organization by HG.

People wil always make trips to the bar at shows regardless of who is playing and i don't think we can chastize people for that just because we choose n to not miss every second of the show.

I catherterized myself the morning of the show just for that very reason :D

The last comment :hysterical: not to get to graphic but I made sure through the day I went so not to get caught short in the arena at the time of Zep :D The atmosphere where we were was great just in front of themixing desk with backs against th fron barrier of said mixing desk with people dancing to the music and making lots of noise !

I don't have any answers about how to ensure the equitable and fair distribution of tickets to see any future Led Zeppelin concerts if they take place, or any other concerts with a high demand for that matter. But I think we have to realise that trying to keep tickets out of the hands of touts and trying to ensure 'genuine fans' get tickets are two separate things. One is probably achievable (keeping the tickets away from the touts) but the other is not. The notion of a 'genuine fan' is totally subjective and there is no set of criteria for determining who should be considered to be one.

Can joining and participating in a forum be considered a measure of how much someone is a fan? I don't think it can. There must be thousands of lifelong fans out there who have never joined a forum or never even read one but this doesn't make them any less of a fan. At the same time, it's entirely possible that someone joins a forum after listening to the band for a year or two, buying two or three albums and posting twenty times a day - that doesn't make them anymore of a genuine fan than someone who has been listening to the band for decades but who doesn't have the time or interest to post in a forum.

If you start to think about how ticket distributors might allocate tickets to genuine fans is soon becomes absurd. They'd need to put in place some convoluted system whereby you could demonstrate that you'd been listening to the band for decades, had all the albums, knew something about the band etc - and that is not going to happen.

Harvey Goldsmith is concerned to keep the tickets out of the hands of ticket touts because, as he repeatedly states, they make money from the secondary ticket market but contribute nothing to the industry, but this is not the same thing as wanting to ensure fans get tickets. If anything, the ballot system and not stopping the sale of passcodes on ebay probably meant that more genuine fans got to see the reunion show than would have been the case had the rules been strictly enforced. Those who were willing to take a risk with spending money on a passcode and tickets that might not get them into the show, or willing to spend huge amounts of money for tickets on ebay, must have really wanted to see the show. I was at the O2 show, and I met more people there who had either bought passcodes or tickets from ebay than who won the ballot. I'm not suggesting that this is a way to ensure fans get tickets as it's clearly unfair that those who have money to risk, cars to sell, or can get bank loans etc can get to see a show while those that don't can't go. But I don't think it's a simple matter of ensuring that touts don't get tickets so that fans can.

Just my $0.02.

The idea of the ballot system was good, it was better than the Live 8 one where you had to pay £1 by text to be entered and then you could text as many time as you wanted, some pople who afforded it obviously texted 100s of times which I couldnt afford. The reason for this was taht the etxts payed for the Live 8 event so it was in the promoter's interest to allow this.

At least with the Ahmet ballot it was free and everybody could only enter once, meaning it was equal. Some people however got ppl they knew to enter for them and then the scalpers/touts putting 1000s of entries in to secure tickets to sell them on. And then people could sell the ticket on so that you could go as their 'guest' and nobody would know. The bottom line is the ballot was good natured, the people were not.

I was annoyed by the fact that these so called 'celebrities' got tickets who arent even Led Zep fans. Some of these I could see why they were there like David Gilmour - Robert went to his DVD premiere last year and a lot of the other musicians who know Zeppelin personally. However some of the celebs like Kate Moss shouldnt have been there IMO but these are the times we live in.

Also which really annoyed me were the reports that the restricted view seating are was empty, I would have happily payed £125 to sit there as would many of the members of this forum.

Just A Suggestion:

First come, first served. Limit two per person. Tickets on sale at the venue box office.

24-hour advance notices to be sent from the promoter to pre-selected forum admins.

Forum administrators push advance notices to membership via PM. Purchasers issued a

wristband that matches serial number of ticket at time of purchase. Ticket nullified and

resold at face value if it does not match wristband at the event.

Just A Suggestion:

First come, first served. Limit two per person. Tickets on sale at the venue box office.

24-hour advance notices to be sent from the promoter to pre-selected forum admins.

Forum administrators push advance notices to membership via PM. Purchasers issued a

wristband that matches serial number of ticket at time of purchase. Ticket nullified and

Good idea, you could always do the Glastonbury thing where they put a picture of you on your ticket, this completely stopped touting last year.

Box office collection is the way forward IMO however it disadvantages people who dont live in the area.

Good idea, you could always do the Glastonbury thing where they put a picture of you on your ticket, this completely stopped touting last year.

Box office collection is the way forward IMO however it disadvantages people who dont live in the area.

Yes thats a good idea, I use to have a credit card that had a photo on back, stopped any theft etc!! So the glastonbury way would cool although I wouldn't have got in !! <_<

At the end of the day whatever they do not all people will be happy with the way tickets are sold or got hold of. I think Their intensions were good even if it pissed most of us off !!!

Does anybody here think they shoulld of just put the 16,000 tickets up for sale on a first come first service basis ??

Amend it to read that two wristbands are issued with two tickets, but only one wristband is affixed. This may lead to some degree of touting, but it would allow

fans to network amongst themselves if they wanted. Harvey wants to treat all

tickets as currency, but I don't agree with that. Why should the ticket buyer

forfeit personal choice with what to do with their second ticket? They paid for it.

It sounds like the corporate block was a pretty big section then. Well, from the youtube footage from fans up in the hills, you can see and hear they were having a blast.

Does anybody here think they shoulld of just put the 16,000 tickets up for sale on a first come first service basis ??

If you mean put them all on Ticketmaster on a friday morning like other concerts I'm not sure, it can be very frustrating trying to order tickets on a site which is crashing or nearly crashing. I failed to get tickets to see David Gilmour in '06 because of this. It can be a gamble, as the ballot was I suppose, ususally I've been lucky with tickets though, managed to score really good Who tickets last year by phoning up after waiting for ages because of a jammed phone line. The ballot was a good idea but there were many holes in it and the first full Zeppelin gig in nearly 3 decades is going to have much more demand than a massive band that is constantly touring.

They could however have put some on the internet for fans in the US and places not near the O2 and then kept the remainder at the O2 box office. Or, as my mum was telling me, back in the day tickets used to be sold at certain music stores. This happened at Live 8 to a certain degree when tickets were made avaliable to people willing to stand right at the back when certain locations around London were given these tickets.

The main thing is that the music industry is much bigger than it ever was and so are the bands, there was a time when all the individual Floyd members were almost annonymous and now Roger Waters can sell out 100,000 tickets at Hyde Park. Tickets would be hard to get for this either way but I like the box office/music store/selected locations idea with some tickets on the internet for fans living a long way away.

If you mean put them all on Ticketmaster on a friday morning like other concerts I'm not sure, it can be very frustrating trying to order tickets on a site which is crashing or nearly crashing. I failed to get tickets to see David Gilmour in '06 because of this. It can be a gamble, as the ballot was I suppose, ususally I've been lucky with tickets though, managed to score really good Who tickets last year by phoning up after waiting for ages because of a jammed phone line. The ballot was a good idea but there were many holes in it and the first full Zeppelin gig in nearly 3 decades is going to have much more demand than a massive band that is constantly touring.

They could however have put some on the internet for fans in the US and places not near the O2 and then kept the remainder at the O2 box office. Or, as my mum was telling me, back in the day tickets used to be sold at certain music stores. This happened at Live 8 to a certain degree when tickets were made avaliable to people willing to stand right at the back when certain locations around London were given these tickets.

The main thing is that the music industry is much bigger than it ever was and so are the bands, there was a time when all the individual Floyd members were almost annonymous and now Roger Waters can sell out 100,000 tickets at Hyde Park. Tickets would be hard to get for this either way but I like the box office/music store/selected locations idea with some tickets on the internet for fans living a long way away.

Yes I remember in the days before the internet having to be on the phone all day pressing redial non stop and when I was at work my ex doing the same thing, then after about 10 hrs managing to get thru and get tickets !! I use to buy my Donington tickets from the local theatre !! Those days are probably long gone !!

Just A Suggestion:

On the day the gig was announced, I was all ready to tear down to the O2 to camp out if necessary!

I only live down the road (relatively), so I might have been in with a chance...however, I certainly agree that this would be grossly unfair on all the other fans across the planet. I must admit I didn't really think they would be selling them at the box office, but I was planning for all eventualities.

Next time, Harvey....Glastonbury-style is the way to go.

Archived