What Are You Listening To At This Moment?

The Pagemeister

There are certain songs I will always remember the first time I heard them.  This is one of those.  1973.  I always liked the imbalance of the intro rhythm guitar being so low into the mix compared to when the riff comes in at 0:07. Barely controlled chaos.

Always love this song!  Very bluesey and reminds me of some of Zep's first half of '69 shows and especially parts of "The Lemon Song" and the center section after the first solo by Jimmy.  Most notably of the Fillmore on 4/27.

17 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Great choice. I was just listening to this one, too, as I was teaching a guitar lesson last evening on the harmonics (Steve Howe used for intro and verses/choruses).

R😎🎸👍

"Back On The Road Again" from REO Speedwagon. A good hard rock song from a band whose enjoyable early works were overshadowed by High Infidelity. If you didn't live through it, it's hard to appreciate how big High Infidelity was. It seemed like you couldn't have the radio on in the U.S. for more than a few minutes in the early '80s without something from that album being played.

4 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

"Back On The Road Again" from REO Speedwagon. A good hard rock song from a band whose enjoyable early works were overshadowed by High Infidelity. If you didn't live through it, it's hard to appreciate how big High Infidelity was. It seemed like you couldn't have the radio on in the U.S. for more than a few minutes in the early '80s without something from that album being played.

I remember that. I was in the radio market of DesMoines Iowa, and I remember the adults sticking up for the old lead singer. It seems totally fair to blame these guys for the "power ballad" genre. Unless you want to blame Nazareth/Love Hurts.

15 minutes ago, LurksReturnington said:

I remember that. I was in the radio market of DesMoines Iowa, and I remember the adults sticking up for the old lead singer. It seems totally fair to blame these guys for the "power ballad" genre. Unless you want to blame Nazareth/Love Hurts.

They may not have been the first to write a power ballad, but they certainly made it popular. I still can't listen to High Infidelity. It's been 38 years (wow, that went quick) and I'm still sick of it from hearing it so much back then and I didn't even own it. You just couldn't escape it. I even gave up listening to their earlier stuff because of that album. Too bad, because there was some good stuff on those albums. In particular, Gary Richrath's (R.I.P.) lead guitar playing. He didn't seem to get much credit for how good of a guitar player he was. Here's an example:

Edited by SteveZ98