What Are You Listening To At This Moment?

The Pagemeister

The first time I heard this I thought this is one I can imagine Page and Jones picking sometime on acoustic guitar and mandolin.  This version by Earl Taylor is from the 50s.  Apparently it was a Carter family song from the 30s, and Flatt and Scruggs covered it.

5 hours ago, John M said:

The first time I heard this I thought this is one I can imagine Page and Jones picking sometime on acoustic guitar and mandolin.  This version by Earl Taylor is from the 50s.  Apparently it was a Carter family song from the 30s, and Flatt and Scruggs covered it.

Nice and upbeat, I like it. "Appalachian Mountain Side"?

21 hours ago, Strider said:

Wooooaahh! My fav book directed by my fav Director has a soundtrack by NELSON RIDDLE?? How TF did I not know this. I'm a huge fan of the Sinatra Capitol recordings (happy ones, not "razor blade" albums) - they are a staple in my car (cds for driving because I am analog and they sound better on my car speakers anyway). Mind blown. Also, perfect background music for work. Thank you, Strider.

49 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Wooooaahh! My fav book directed by my fav Director has a soundtrack by NELSON RIDDLE?? How TF did I not know this. I'm a huge fan of the Sinatra Capitol recordings (happy ones, not "razor blade" albums) - they are a staple in my car (cds for driving because I am analog and they sound better on my car speakers anyway). Mind blown. Also, perfect background music for work. Thank you, Strider.

My pleasure. Nelson Riddle gets a lot of play in my house...with Ol' Blue Eyes and without. So many great instrumentals and original scores Riddle has composed.

3 minutes ago, Strider said:

My pleasure. Nelson Riddle gets a lot of play in my house...with Ol' Blue Eyes and without. So many great instrumentals and original scores Riddle has composed.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to dig deeper into his catalog. This Route 66 theme is great - and new to my ears. Since Covid hit, my listening has gravitated for the most part towards ultra chill (Zeppin out not withstanding lol). So, I've dug into Gerry Mulligan Quartet, Oscar Peterson, Stan Getz, etc.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

This is one of my favorite pieces of his. Admittedly, he's probably best known for his work with Frank Sinatra, but he also did quite a lot with Ella Fitzgerald.

Here is Jo Stafford's version, arranged by her husband Paul Weston and his orchestra.

13 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

This is one of my favorite pieces of his. Admittedly, he's probably best known for his work with Frank Sinatra, but he also did quite a lot with Ella Fitzgerald.

Here is Jo Stafford's version, arranged by her husband Paul Weston and his orchestra.

There are also his lovely albums with Linda Ronstadt.