What Are You Listening To At This Moment?

The Pagemeister

Right now? Charlie Burse and his Memphis Mudcats from 1939, Charlie and the boys laid down 20 sides over two Saturdays in July of that year, including "Weed Smokin' Mama", "Hell's Highway" and "Magic Spell Blues" which only goes to show that references to drugs and the Occult were hardly new in the 60's and 70's. Charlie had formerly been with the very famous Memphis Jug Band, and continued to perform with Will Shade as late as 1963...

I dearly *love* me some Jug Band! There's an optimism in it, that even if things are hard or bad, there's nothing that a bottle of hooch, a little whoopie music and a willing gal can't help you forget for a couple hours.

This was actually a hit on the radio decades ago. Today it would be marginalized as "Christian Pop".

About 6 months ago, I heard one of the other Godspell songs at an event and went back and You Tubed several of the others. Godspell was part of our Sunday school curriculum growing up in the 70s; we saw the movie and a regional play, and sang the songs. I enjoyed it then and had completely forgotten about it; watching it again was a nice blast from the past :) (Victor Garber in the film)