What Are You Listening To At This Moment?

The Pagemeister

Just downloaded my first lossless audio Nirvana concert. It's their show from the Salle Omnisports in Rennes, France on 1994/02/16. AUD #1, and it's excellent all-around! This passage will help to explain:

3. 02/16/94 - Salle Omnisports, Rennes, France

Overall Quality: Just grand. This is like the 11/27/93 of 1994 shows in my opinion. This is probably the second best audience recording I know of, which makes it a gem with the lack of In Utero soundboards. The guitar sounds very loud, and you can easily make the cello out. It does suffer from some "buzz" like sounds in certain areas, but it is a very loud in your face audience recording that has super clear vocals. I'll give it a 9.5/10, as it is pretty much just as good as the 11/27/93 audience recording. Just a great sounding recording.

Setlist: Ok. I LOVE watching USA In Utero shows, and they have in my opinion, are the most ominous and atmospheric shows Nirvana ever played. The only downside is the setlist was pretty bland. And where European In Utero shows lack that same atmosphere (no trees and mannequins on stage) they have a much looser setlist. This concert features the only known jam on My Sharona, and EVEN INCLUDES VOCALS! We get the European In Utero treats like Very Ape, Lounge Act, The Man Who Sold The World, Frances Farmer (the best sounding live recording available in my opinion), and Sappy. These songs really help even out the In Utero setlist in my opinion, but I really wish they hadn't dropped Milk It on the In Utero tour. (My favorite live on In Utero tours.) I'd give the setlist an 8.5/10, as they pulled out ALL the stops for the European Tour (except Where Did You Sleep Last Night) and added My Sharona.

Enthusiasm: It seems to be pretty good here. They seem to be into the songs, and Kurt doesn't seem all that bored here. The setlist is pretty huge, so they must have been digging the show. Teen Spirit isn't done sloppily, and all around they seem to be having fun. Kurt's joking around, and even has more dialogue than KRIST! I'll give it a 10/10 for enthusiasm. Hard to believe it's a 1994 show!

Historical Aspect: Hmm. Only known performance of My Sharona. That's about all I've got here. I'll give it a 5/10, as the only performance of a cover with lyrics is pretty noteworthy.

Banter: Oh man. This is another reason I compare this show to 11/27/93. The band is way talkative, especially Kurt. "Rennes and Stimpy Land", "Paris was a better audience than you." "You're a better audience than Paris" "I forget you guys in the back are there...That's the pot head section...Oh, pass that pipe man!" It's great. It's what you want from a live concert, banter between songs, and it delivers. 10/10 easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmghC5SkaZM

^^^

Thanks for your enthusiastic review, Sue. I saw Nirvana a bunch of times back in the day, but with the exception of the Unplugged, Live at the Paramount '91, Live at Reading '92, and the Del Mar '91 bootleg, I don't have much live Nirvana in my collection. Whenever I go to my usual record store haunts, it always seems to slip my mind to check for Nirvana boots. Reading your post provides a reminder to check the next time I go for some good In Utero-era shows.

^^^

Thanks for your enthusiastic review, Sue. I saw Nirvana a bunch of times back in the day, but with the exception of the Unplugged, Live at the Paramount '91, Live at Reading '92, and the Del Mar '91 bootleg, I don't have much live Nirvana in my collection. Whenever I go to my usual record store haunts, it always seems to slip my mind to check for Nirvana boots. Reading your post provides a reminder to check the next time I go for some good In Utero-era shows.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the review. I copied and pasted from the forum over at livenirvana.com, but it very accurately sums up my feelings about the show. If you want more In Utero shows, I'd recommend:

1993/04/09

1993/07/23

1993/10/23*

1993/10/26

1993/10/31

1993/11/10

1993/11/27*

1993/12/10

1993/12/13*

1993/12/30*

1993/12/31*

Both Seattle 1994 shows

All French 1994 shows, especially Paris, Rennes, and Grenoble

1994/03/01 ( since it's their last ever show.)

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the review. I copied and pasted from the forum over at livenirvana.com, but it very accurately sums up my feelings about the show. If you want more In Utero shows, I'd recommend:

1993/04/09

1993/07/23

1993/10/23*

1993/10/26

1993/10/31

1993/11/10

1993/11/27*

1993/12/10

1993/12/13*

1993/12/30*

1993/12/31*

Both Seattle 1994 shows

All French 1994 shows, especially Paris, Rennes, and Grenoble

1994/03/01 ( since it's their last ever show.)

Cool list...my first choice would be to get the Forum show I went to December 30 of that year.