Making a perfect single-albume version of Graffiti

pujols05

If you could make a single album out of Physical Graffiti, while adhering to mid-70s limitations of vinyl, i.e., about a 45 minute album, what would it look like?

I've got it like this:

Side 1:

Custard Pie

The Rover

Ten Years Gone

Kashmir

Side 2:

In the Light

Bron-Yr-Aur

In My Time of Dying

I originally had Ten Years Gone and Bron-Yr-Aur swapped, but in this arrangement the sides are roughly equal...

If you could make a single album out of Physical Graffiti, while adhering to mid-70s limitations of vinyl, i.e., about a 45 minute album, what would it look like?

I've got it like this:

Side 1:

Custard Pie

The Rover

Ten Years Gone

Kashmir

Side 2:

In the Light

Bron-Yr-Aur

In My Time of Dying

I originally had Ten Years Gone and Bron-Yr-Aur swapped, but in this arrangement the sides are roughly equal...

See, that short version just, well, falls short... I don't think it's Physical Graffiti if it's a single album...

Erm

Gonna give this a try

Custard Pie

The Rover

In My Time Of Dying

Houses of the Holy

Trampled Underfoot

Ten Years Gone

Night Flight

Wanton Song

Black Country Woman

That's too long, so I have to chuck a few out and keep them for a decent length CODA.

Can't be bothered to get my copy and check the song lengths so I'm going to guess that getting rid of The Rover would be enough.

Add the Rover to CODA and its better value for money right?

Oh I'd change the running order as wel, but not sure how.

In The Light

Bron-Yr-Aur

Down By The Seaside

Boogie with Stu

are to me four of my least favourite Zep songs. I totally cannot get into them.

Hats off to Roy Harper is the other one.

I've been flamed before about this so don't bother I don't care. :rolleyes:

It has to end with Sick Again!

I've always heard arguments from George Martin that the Beatle's White Album would be better as a one LP album, but there are so many great moments that I love that I would miss, even if they're not the greatest musically.

Same with PG, I wouldn't even want to leave off the talking before Black Country Woman. When the first cd pressing came out and the left off the "cough" part after IMTOD I was mad. I wouldn't even buy it until the remastered version came out.

But if I had to make it fit on an LP or one side of a cassette it would have to have the Wanton Song. And end with Sick Again.

It has to end with Sick Again!

I've always heard arguments from George Martin that the Beatle's White Album would be better as a one LP album, but there are so many great moments that I love that I would miss, even if they're not the greatest musically.

Same with PG, I wouldn't even want to leave off the talking before Black Country Woman. When the first cd pressing came out and the left off the "cough" part after IMTOD I was mad. I wouldn't even buy it until the remastered version came out.

But if I had to make it fit on an LP or one side of a cassette it would have to have the Wanton Song. And end with Sick Again.

Yeah, I hear you. Physical is a strong double album; even the "weak" tracks are pretty darn good.

Erm

Gonna give this a try

Custard Pie

The Rover

In My Time Of Dying

Houses of the Holy

Trampled Underfoot

Ten Years Gone

Night Flight

Wanton Song

Black Country Woman

That's too long, so I have to chuck a few out and keep them for a decent length CODA.

Can't be bothered to get my copy and check the song lengths so I'm going to guess that getting rid of The Rover would be enough.

Add the Rover to CODA and its better value for money right?

Oh I'd change the running order as wel, but not sure how.

Oh crap I somehow missed out Kashmir! LOL

I had to learn Sick Again, and I felt it lacked something.

Then I was given a live version which was full of passion and fire Bonzo's drumming was off the hook!

I can't be doing with the studio version after that.

I agree 100%. I don't really care for the album version, but live it rocks (especially from '77).

Interesting...so are there any other double albums that come close to physical graffiti. The wall is an interesting and coherent concept but not musically, the white albums is cool but again too uneven, topographic oceans..i dont think so, GnR, nah..any others?

I think mine would be something like this,

Side 1:

1. The Rover

2. Boogie with Stu

3. Trampled Under Foot

4. Kashmir

Side 2:

1. Custard Pie

2. Bron-Yr-Aur

3. Ten Years Gone

4. In My Time Of Dying

As for other great double albums - The Rolling Stones' Exile On Main Street and Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek and The Dominos are utter masterpieces.

Interesting...so are there any other double albums that come close to physical graffiti. The wall is an interesting and coherent concept but not musically, the white albums is cool but again too uneven, topographic oceans..i dont think so, GnR, nah..any others?

I like Quadrophenia...but it only works as a whole anyway. I'm having a hard time thinking of double albums that aren't live that can measure up to Physical (except those mentioned). I don't like Layla as much as I'd like to.

London Calling....

I like Quadrophenia...but it only works as a whole anyway. I'm having a hard time thinking of double albums that aren't live that can measure up to Physical (except those mentioned). I don't like Layla as much as I'd like to.

London Calling....

Ah, another Quad/Who fan! Glad to hear this!

Wow,

Just discovered this site, excellent, so many Zep fans aboard already...

My buddy and I were just doing this for fun with "The White Album."

I think it would be cool to see how PG sounded as a double resquenced with the "new songs"(1974) on one album, and the older songs from III, IV, and HOTH on a seperate disc. Refresh me memory, which are the older songs, from where?

Here is my single disc version of PG:

Side One:

Custard Pie

The Rover

Boogie With Stu

Black Country Woman

Sick Again

Side Two:

Kashmir

Trampled Underfoot

Wanton Song

Houses Of The Holy

Bron-Yr-Aur

That was hard, might change it to-morrow...

Any Roy Harper fans out there? (Not the song...) New remastered, deluxe Stormcock out on CD,

Page's soloing on track two is one of his best acoutsic ones ever... according to him...

This album came out in 1971, and is one of the best Lps ever, a perfect match for Led Zep IV.

Wow,

Just discovered this site, excellent, so many Zep fans aboard already...

My buddy and I were just doing this for fun with "The White Album."

I think it would be cool to see how PG sounded as a double resquenced with the "new songs"(1974) on one album, and the older songs from III, IV, and HOTH on a seperate disc. Refresh me memory, which are the older songs, from where?

Here is my single disc version of PG:

Side One:

Custard Pie

The Rover

Boogie With Stu

Black Country Woman

Sick Again

Side Two:

Kashmir

Trampled Underfoot

Wanton Song

Houses Of The Holy

Bron-Yr-Aur

That was hard, might change it to-morrow...

Any Roy Harper fans out there? (Not the song...) New remastered, deluxe Stormcock out on CD,

Page's soloing on track two is one of his best acoutsic ones ever... according to him...

This album came out in 1971, and is one of the best Lps ever, a perfect match for Led Zep IV.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm on the opinion that the album is best as a double album, but if pressed, here is my single album version:

agree with you there but as It would of been a posability that It could of been a single album

here is mine !!

S1...

Custard Pie

The Rover

Bron Y Aur

Kashmir

S2...

The Wanton Song

In The Light

Night Flight

Trampled Underfoot

I had to learn Sick Again, and I felt it lacked something.

Then I was given a live version which was full of passion and fire Bonzo's drumming was off the hook!

I can't be doing with the studio version after that.

I played sick again in a band for a few shows. It lends itself well to being played really fast!

Archived