2021 NFL thread. Next year's Super Bowl will be in LA at the new SoFi Stadium

LedZeppfan1977

Barring injuries, , and al me a Bills vs Rams Super Bowl right now. I am laying down money on both, especially the Rams with Stafford to get there.  Nobody is stopping the Rams in the NFC with Matt Stafford. Nobody

That trade wasn't good for the Lions.....it was great !  In fact, I think it was the best trade they've made in my lifetime.  Stafford wanted out, and they got more than enough draft capital to warrant making the deal.  They have their own 7th pick this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down further for more picks.  The only thing they need to accomplish with this year's #1 pick after the Stafford trade is to find a solid starter.  There's so many holes it really doesn't matter where.  Goff aside, they would be foolish to take a QB in this draft.  The Lions are in a 3 year rebuilding project,  and the new regime seems to understand that.  This Lions have the potential to be the worst team in the league, and that's ok with me.  I don't see Fields, Lance, or Jones on their QB radar. With the picks they have stockpiled, a QB can be taken anytime in the following two years.  There's no reason to draft one now so he can sit on his hands or play without having the proper tools.  

As for the Rams & Stafford, I'm not sold.  Anything short of at least a Super Bowl appearance means they made a bad deal.  Stafford has never won a playoff game.  He doesn't deserve to carry the full load for that fact, but he doesn't escape scrutiny either.  There's been far too many 3rd quarters with turnovers, un-accurate screen passes, and stupid interceptions.  His numbers are padded with meaningless 4th quarter stats   He's also lost a touch on his long ball which can be expected at his age.  He takes better care of the football than Goff, and I certainly can't knock his toughness either, but those hits take a toll after 12 years.

The Rams traded two #1 picks to get Goff, and traded two to give him away.  The Lions are so sad that he's probably already the 3rd best QB they've had in my lifetime (Landry & Stafford) without yet taking a snap.  He's won playoff games and been to the big dance, and he's only 26.  Stafford has done neither at 33 and 12 years in the league  The Lions took Goff off the Rams hands just to complete the deal for salary cap reasons, yet the Lions are in the position to let him play for a year or two.  They have nothing to lose by letting him do so, and neither does he.  Our new GM, the guy who built the Rams, is the guy who drafted him in the first place. 

It was quite humorous reading Jared Goff's opinion of Detroit after his first drive through the city.  Lol....You ain't in La La Land anymore buddy....you're in NFL purgatory.     

18 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

That trade wasn't good for the Lions.....it was great !  In fact, I think it was the best trade they've made in my lifetime.  Stafford wanted out, and they got more than enough draft capital to warrant making the deal.  They have their own 7th pick this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down further for more picks.  The only thing they need to accomplish with this year's #1 pick after the Stafford trade is to find a solid starter.  There's so many holes it really doesn't matter where.  Goff aside, they would be foolish to take a QB in this draft.  The Lions are in a 3 year rebuilding project,  and the new regime seems to understand that.  This Lions have the potential to be the worst team in the league, and that's ok with me.  I don't see Fields, Lance, or Jones on their QB radar. With the picks they have stockpiled, a QB can be taken anytime in the following two years.  There's no reason to draft one now so he can sit on his hands or play without having the proper tools.  

As for the Rams & Stafford, I'm not sold.  Anything short of at least a Super Bowl appearance means they made a bad deal.  Stafford has never won a playoff game.  He doesn't deserve to carry the full load for that fact, but he doesn't escape scrutiny either.  There's been far too many 3rd quarters with turnovers, un-accurate screen passes, and stupid interceptions.  His numbers are padded with meaningless 4th quarter stats   He's also lost a touch on his long ball which can be expected at his age.  He takes better care of the football than Goff, and I certainly can't knock his toughness either, but those hits take a toll after 12 years.

The Rams traded two #1 picks to get Goff, and traded two to give him away.  The Lions are so sad that he's probably already the 3rd best QB they've had in my lifetime (Landry & Stafford) without yet taking a snap.  He's won playoff games and been to the big dance, and he's only 26.  Stafford has done neither at 33 and 12 years in the league  The Lions took Goff off the Rams hands just to complete the deal for salary cap reasons, yet the Lions are in the position to let him play for a year or two.  They have nothing to lose by letting him do so, and neither does he.  Our new GM, the guy who built the Rams, is the guy who drafted him in the first place. 

It was quite humorous reading Jared Goff's opinion of Detroit after his first drive through the city.  Lol....You ain't in La La Land anymore buddy....you're in NFL purgatory.     

Bongman, I  am cheering for Stafford and the Lions in this case. I like Geoff. And I really hope he gets the Lions more wins than most expect. I actually believe the Lions can compete in that division.  Sure they would be a surprise..  But Geoff has a huge chip on his shoulder.  He is a  a damn good QB.  So you get a motivated guy. That means plenty. Staff will be motivated too and in my book, they will win the NFC.  Barring injuries, they are the best team in the NFC.  Hands down. They are going to kick some ass. Believe it. I hope Geoff gets the Lions a wild card.  I do not think its impossible.   Like the Falcons they have had some very tough luck in games they competed hard in. I am not up to speed on the roster right now Ill admit. I thought Patricia would do better but we are now seeing how grossly over rated Mr Belecheck and his disciples are. That dumb ass re signed Fig Newton.  Good for us. Only Miami is to be feared over the next few years when they cash in all of those picks.  But right now, Il pick my Bills to win the AFC East going away.  There is no logic for any other team having a shot vs Josh Allen.  So I really hope Geoff does well. I feel bad for him.  Obviously him and McVay do not get along. I do believe they play each other?  But not sure. Much remains to be seen with the  draft and how everything unfolds there. But one thing is for sure. Very few players come out of the draft and make an impact in their first year. Maybe Trevor Lawrence? But he likely does not have enough around him to really take off.  I do not know the other QB's that much beyond that. It appears the Jets will grab one at 2, and his name is not Fields. I wonder if once again they are making another mistake?  Miami and the Lions are loaded with picks from what it appears but its going to take them both about 3 years as you said to cash in.   I am hoping this is the year that my Bills get it done. they are certainly on the short list of teams to win it all.   And so are my 2nd favorite team the Rams.   I did not want to see the Bills and Rams meet in a Super Bowl.  I would rather have one, vs a team I hate. But I really believe we may have a rematch of that incredible game played up in Buffalo last year. Oh, and can you believe they renamed our stadium AGAIN?  Its on the tip of my tongue but I cant think of the new name.  To me its always going to be Rich stadium. Ralph Wilson and Bills stadium I did not like.  I sure hope they put some money into the damn place if they are renaming it.  Summer fest used to be there.  I saw the Rolling Stones there in 1975, and they were considered Old then!!!  Imagine that.  I also saw them in 1980, the Some Girls tour there. They were on stage around 5 pm with the sun out. They walked off the damn stage about 45 minutes later with the sun still up. We got ripped off something fierce and to this day I have no idea why they walked off the stage so soon. 

Oh.  Highmark Stadium is the new name.  Lets see how long this lasts.  LOL.  I hope it gets, High Marks.  Terrible joke. I  ant wait to see if its any different. With the new success of the Bills and the expectations, I would sure hope so.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:27 PM, paul carruthers said:

This isn't a serious question, but how fucking hard is it to come up with a name for a sports team? Apparently, very hard for the Washington numbnuts. You think a child of 5 could just call them the Warriors or something to that effect--but, looking at the list Washington is apparently floating--I like the Royals or Monarchs.

I guess calling them the "Senators" is not on the table...  😏

On 4/16/2021 at 4:29 PM, ebk said:

When I saw the name "Griffins" on the list, I read it first as "Grifters".  Which would have been perfect... 

The WTFs fits them perfectly now.

On 4/18/2021 at 7:15 AM, Bong-Man said:

Bong-Man lives! Welcome back, man. 

I wonder if Goff lived in L.A. He probably lived in Orange County and drove up for the games.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Question: Was I supposed to care that the draft is tonight?  😏

I don't think it is a coincidence that the Dolphins have not won a Super Bowl since they started broadcasting the NFL Draft on television. 😉

ESPN analyst Graziano agrees with my Bills vs Rams SB.  I like the schedule.  Bills on Prime time 4 nights, and several National TV games.  Thanksgiving night they are at New Orleans.  Will have to fight off the Turkey and wine 🍷

Rams open at Indy.  If Wentz does not rebound, what will Frank Reich do?

On 5/12/2021 at 5:22 PM, paul carruthers said:

Wow, the NFL couldn't pick a better season opener than Cowboys at the Bucs???

😳

The NFL's thinking is 'America's Team' vs. the Super Bowl Champions. It's the closest the Cowboys will get to the Vince Lombardi Trophy this year. 😃

3 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ Heh, trust me, I understand the Dallas Cowboys hype machine--but on the flipside--I'm looking at Week 4 when the Bucs go to New England & I'm like, that should be the season opener.

Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it...  :)

They will probably make that TB @ NE game a Sunday Night prime time game. 

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Beleheck no doubt would love to win that one but I cant see it.  They are going no where.  I say Bills first and Miami second

So who finishes in last place...The Pats or the J-E-T-S?

17 hours ago, Strider said:

So who finishes in last place...The Pats or the J-E-T-S?

Who cares really?  Jets I guess.  Massive rebuild.  Pats have somewhat of a defense.  Or did.  So much for the Belecheck being a genius crap.  I have a friend, in bad condition, who was a NE fan and says he still is even though he went out and bought a KC jersey with Mahomes name on it.   He believes the Bills will be in the title game again.  Another wagon jumper.  When the Bills were bad I stood by them and took it. Now they are good.  Damn good.  Yes its mainly because of Allen but also McDermott.  I fear Cleveland the  most. Then KC or Baltimore.  I do not know if Wentz can regain his form.  I think its a big mistake by Frank who I love.  Reich I mean.  As for Paul and his fish, they will be good. Just not this year. That does not mean they wont make the playoffs. I think Raiders and Miami will fight for a spot. 

Here is how I see it early on.  My way too early picks.   

AFC East   Buffalo

AFC Central  Cleveland

AFC South  Indy?  If Wentz does not kill them

AFC West  KC but Raiders and Chargers both a threat

Wild cards      Raiders, Miami (if they get the QB position solved), Baltimore   I am most  confident that the  Bills and Browns get in

NFC East  who knows but Ill take Washington

NFC Central  Minnesota

NFC Central    TB

NFC West   Los Angeles Rams  (in blood)

Wild Cards     GB (assuming Rogers stays),  Atlanta or Carolina ( one of them surprises), Dallas  ( I still do not think Dak is worth the money, but they have talent)

Come and get me.  Please

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Who cares really?  Jets I guess.  Massive rebuild.  Pats have somewhat of a defense.  Or did.  So much for the Belecheck being a genius crap.  I have a friend, in bad condition, who was a NE fan and says he still is even though he went out and bought a KC jersey with Mahomes name on it.   He believes the Bills will be in the title game again.  Another wagon jumper.  When the Bills were bad I stood by them and took it. Now they are good.  Damn good.  Yes its mainly because of Allen but also McDermott.  I fear Cleveland the  most. Then KC or Baltimore.  I do not know if Wentz can regain his form.  I think its a big mistake by Frank who I love.  Reich I mean.  As for Paul and his fish, they will be good. Just not this year. That does not mean they wont make the playoffs. I think Raiders and Miami will fight for a spot. 

Here is how I see it early on.  My way too early picks.   

AFC East   Buffalo

AFC Central  Cleveland

AFC South  Indy?  If Wentz does not kill them

AFC West  KC but Raiders and Chargers both a threat

Wild cards      Raiders, Miami (if they get the QB position solved), Baltimore   I am most  confident that the  Bills and Browns get in

NFC East  who knows but Ill take Washington

NFC Central  Minnesota

NFC Central    TB

NFC West   Los Angeles Rams  (in blood)

Wild Cards     GB (assuming Rogers stays),  Atlanta or Carolina ( one of them surprises), Dallas  ( I still do not think Dak is worth the money, but they have talent)

Come and get me.  Please

You think the Raiders will be in the playoffs? What you smokin' Willis?  😆

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Nothing to say except I hope the Falcons trading Julio Jones will keep those bums in the NFC South cellar where they belong...

I would think you would be more concerned with our teams, the Bills and Dolphins having to deal with JJ now?  I mean, who really cares about the NFC South?  Are you cheering for Brady now?  WTF?  The Falcons actually had a playoff shot IMO, with JJ.  They still have Ryan.  A good QB.   But now, its a rebuild all the way.  Carolina should be better.  TB will be the favorite in what should be Brady's final year.  What team really an challenge them?  I thought Atlanta but now?  Only draft pics for a guy of that caliber? What are these GM's doing?  I thought they were smarter than this?  JJ should have warranted an established player.  And yes, a guy of McCafferty value for sure.  The only question regarding JJ is longevity and health.  I hate the Titans.  We will need to ambush Tanehill.  The other team in the NFC South is Jacksonville right?  Who knows what to expect?  Trevor Lawrence first year. I still think he starts right out of the block. Why not?  I still say the Rams are the class of the NFC hands down.  Green Bay now has huge concerns with Rogers.  And no one player can get away with this in Green Bay.  Lombardi and his culture are there forever. Just imagine Rogers pulling this crap with Lombardi.

^^ Reading your post prompted me to look at the Fins regular season schedule for the first time & surprise, the Fins and the rest of the East do play the AFC South this year; but I'm not sweating it yet. Truth be told, I'm not really concerned about football, right now--I just have a grudge against Atlanta for that meltdown in the SB against the Pats.

As for rooting for Tampa, never. We play them in their stadium Week 5...