Robert: "Out here in the perimeter, there are no stars"

So right before Kashmir, actually just before he mentioned the thing about the 50 countries being represented here, and this is the 51st, and right before he said there was a guy w/ a Hammer of the Gods shirt, he said

"Out here, out here in the perimeter there are no stars"

So I recognize this from a Jim Morrison poem, which was then put to music on An American Prayer by the Doors.

"Out here in the perimeter, there are no stars. Out here, we is stoned....immaculate."

Question is...does he make references to his (former) colleagues work like this often? Is there some specific relationship to Morrison or this particular work that makes this understandable?

You never know what he is going to say; he is known for strange ad-libs, whether it be in regard to parking cars or other things.

lmao. parking cars.

"Would the owner of a green Continental please move your vehicle, you're blocking the hydrant. Thank you. This is a song of hope..."

It's okay, people probably thought it was funny. Jokes like that are made here a lot, in case you haven't caught that. I call David Coverdale David Coverplant and I've been told that was funny, even though I was serious.

Can you imagine a Plant/Morrison matchup with the rest of Zeppelin backing up? Just WAY WOW!! I don't think I could remain conscious for that actually...just too much creativity and hotness in one space!

I don't think that would have worked out at all.....

What did he say about him? Some people don't seem to be fond of Jim.

Janis said she liked his voice in a Dick Cavett interview, but once he came to her house with his girlfriend, the girlfriend left that night in tears. The next morning Janis and Jim got into it over something, honestly I don't know what, but she broke a bottle of whiskey over his head.

Sorry, random Jim Morrison story.

That's interesting because in the book I am reading now with quotes from Robert, Robert really puts down Jim Morrison.

i didn't see this or the other post this surprises me...but if it's in the book...i guess nothing should be surprising; again maybe so much time has passed and the bad incidents fade and he was just inspired to quote him that night.

i didn't see this or the other post this surprises me...but if it's in the book...i guess nothing should be surprising; again maybe so much time has passed and the bad incidents fade and he was just inspired to quote him that night.

I don't think it's necessary that a person be likable for you to like their music.

Also, Morrison has been deified. He was a wonderful musician/lyricist/poet, but he was also a drug addict and alcoholic, who often got violent or abusive and otherwise unpredictable. Maybe this is what Plant (along with many others) didn't/don't like. He wasted so much talent by drowning it in alcohol and numbing it with drugs.

That's interesting because in the book I am reading now with quotes from Robert, Robert really puts down Jim Morrison.

Was he referring to Jim as a person or the Doors' music? Whenever he's talked about great bands from the late 1960s out West, he's pretty much always included the Doors.

I don't think it's necessary that a person be likable for you to like their music.

Also, Morrison has been deified. He was a wonderful musician/lyricist/poet, but he was also a drug addict and alcoholic, who often got violent or abusive and otherwise unpredictable. Maybe this is what Plant (along with many others) didn't/don't like. He wasted so much talent by drowning it in alcohol and numbing it with drugs.

i don't see RP as this judgmental of someone else's lifestyle..besides the list would be alwful long in the rock world if so.

plus with morrison i think he was kinda tormented person...lost and suffered emotial problems and hughe mood swings...which led to the drug abuse which led to the violence. i'm not sticking up for him..but he had a complicated personality who knows if alive today maybe would have been foudn to be bipolar or something. pure conjecture.

ps plus he was terribly unpredictable (again the mood swings thing) he was also self destructive. today we show so much pity for those in this condiition.

Edited by madison

There's a difference between a guy like Robert Plant who made mistakes because he was young and in a big band like Led Zeppelin with all the booze and drugs he want and a person like Jim Morrison. Morrison was a pretty sick person and self destructive. I think the best modern comparison is Axl Rose but a lot more talented.

Edited by NickZepp

Jim Morrison, may he rest in peace, lived his life to the fullest very much in the here and now as he saw it within the context of the United States Viet Nam era sixties. This was a time when young men 18 and over were subject to the military draft when many disapproved of the war.

Florida, Jim's home state, was conservative and tended to conflict with his free-spirited personality. If Jim were living today, it's possible he would be much more at ease. It's unfortunate and sad that he died so young, but I have never considered him as wasting talent. He was a very expressive, intense, passionate, and soulful person.