Nobody's Fault Actual Lyrics?

hyjyljyj

Hi all,

First post ever, just found the forum today! Can't wait to dive in but I just listened to NFBM and it finally made me find you guys. My question is about where to find lyrics that actually match what's on the studio version. The real words, not the stuff about How to roll that log tonight (it's How to roll the lot you like: means the devil taught him how to cheat) or How to get down rolling tonight or How to get that gong to light (because first thing I do when I'm near a gong is try to smoke it, and I admit it IS hard to do : ).

After his brother showed him the door and showed him the ding dong ding dong, he says the same words he repeats at the very end, which sounds like How to get that gone delight, but I"m not sure. After 55 years someone has to have nailed these lyrics. All suggestions welcome! "Thank You"

Gong is part of a reference to an old phrase "kick the gong around" which was slang to smoking opium.  Unfortunately, certain members of the band were utilizing substances more frequently during the timeframe when Presence was recorded and released.  An interesting choice for the band to record during this timeframe.  Cab Calloway's "Kickin' the Gong Around" is referencing cocaine.

Robert

www.anextranickel.com

Okay, great question and topic. I just listened to the tune 10 times (10 glorious times). 

I do have several Zep books and one of them talks about "Delilah" ex "Tryin to save my soul Deli.......(lah)" 

I clearly hear "delight" in those few places. Also "How to kick that gong delight". 

I also hear "Devil he TAUGHT me" not told me. 

Of course all this is coming from my 55 year old ears that have played wayyyyyyy too much electric guitar and listened to way too much loud music. 

Great topic and I would love to hear what others hear. What a tune!!!!!!!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ludwigdrum said:

Either Robert mishears old blues lyrics or customizes them instead of directly lifting them. An example is "Bring it on Home". In the intro he sings something like, "got up gone higher, all aboard." The original lyric is "conductor holler, all aboard."

I think this is very true for a lot of song parts both studio and live. Whatever the lyrics, even when laying down the studio vocal track, I bet Percy went with a bit of feel to the lyrics. Like the rest of the guys always did. It would not surprise me if there are little differences in vocals on voice tracks - although I've never bothered to compare with the abundant studio outtakes that are around.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 9:22 AM, Sems Fir said:

Gong is part of a reference to an old phrase "kick the gong around" which was slang to smoking opium.  Unfortunately, certain members of the band were utilizing substances more frequently during the timeframe when Presence was recorded and released.  An interesting choice for the band to record during this timeframe.  Cab Calloway's "Kickin' the Gong Around" is referencing cocaine.

Robert

www.anextranickel.com

I know this is a couple months old but wow. THANKS Robert! I never had heard that slang usage of gong before.

A wordnerd tip o' the cap to ya

On 2/14/2021 at 10:44 AM, pageluvva said:

Okay, great question and topic. I just listened to the tune 10 times (10 glorious times). 

I do have several Zep books and one of them talks about "Delilah" ex "Tryin to save my soul Deli.......(lah)" 

I clearly hear "delight" in those few places. Also "How to kick that gong delight". 

I also hear "Devil he TAUGHT me" not told me. 

Of course all this is coming from my 55 year old ears that have played wayyyyyyy too much electric guitar and listened to way too much loud music. 

Great topic and I would love to hear what others hear. What a tune!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks luvva for replying! (Sorry so late :) Ten times is amazing! Although in my opinion this is LedZep's finest, their most powerful , wrenching, essential song if I had to pick one. The harp solo with its introductory four measures of agnonized wail is transcendent. You can hear the pain of Robert's loss, his deep regret over doing "In My Time of Dying". How he could have played THAT solo while sitting in a wheelchair, I'll never know. And Jimmy's guitar solo is so beyond perfect I can't type this without chills. He so NEVER overplays in the studio.

Yeah, "delight" is pretty clear right before the N-N-N-N-N-N-N-NO...

"Gone delight" doesn't make much sense, but the opium reference for gong does