Dave Grohl Wants To Drum

please, don't blame this media crud on Grohl, from what i've read of quotes of his, he wouldn't be anywhere near so presumptuous.

The media are just bandying Grohl's name about because he's probably the most famous drummer name they know. Even though he doesn't even drum in his own band. And there are better much drummers in the world. But the average media pleb wouldn't know that (didn't they used to restrict stories to specific writers who did at least have some knowledge of the story's area? like, music-related stories to someone who knows about music?)

Dave's not that great of a drummer to begin with. Period. The only person who could potentially replace Jason (and I definitely want Jason there) would be Bill Ward. Listen to some of the bootlegs from the Heaven & Hell era - his drum solos were just as thunderous as Bonham's and unbelieveable. Plus Bill & Bonham were mates and Bill also has that swing/jazz/funk thing going but not at the expense of hitting things hard & loud (like Bruford who has the jazz thing going but can't pound the hell out of his set).

Grohl may well fantasise about drumming for LZ, but it won't happen and he knows it. He's also a hell of a lot more gracious than anyone fanning these stories in the press. I guess it's because many of the journos are assuming that Jason played at the 02 ONLY because he's Bonham's son, and not because he's actually pretty good on the drums himself.

Well said to whoever it was who pointed out the glaring fact that Grohl doesn't even play the drums in his own band, though he seems happy to pull out the sticks for anything that interests him (like Queens of the Stone Age, for instance). It'd be hard to imagine a 'superstar' like Grohl meekly sitting at the back thrashing away at his kit while LZ played in front of him, though I'm sure he'd be happy to do so. It'd be almost as bizarre as Billy Corgan living out his fantasies by joining New Order as a touring, non-singing extra musician...Hang on, that actually happened...

Yes, we're all tired of these Grohl drumming rumours, but have any of you Zepheads that find it such a terrible thought heard his drumming on Queens of the StoneAge's 'Songs for the Deaf'? He is amazing. Bonham fills everywhere. If you cant handle the whole album check the last 20 seconds or so of the track 'A Song for the Dead'. He does that triplet-y fill that is so Bonzo (Dazed & C... just before they return to the main riff after the middle section) it's not funny! Dont think of the goofy Foo Fighters, just listen with an open mind to Grohls drumming on that QOTSA album. Power. Finesse. Creativity. Sound familiar? I've been drumming for around fifteen years and I rate that album up there with any Zep album as far as drumming goes. Take a listen and you'll realise how much he would work with Led Zep.

All of that being said as long as Junior is alive, it simply CAN'T be anyone else. And we know Grohl agrees, it's just the media bullshit machine at work. I look foward to your thoughts on his work with QOTSA!

Grohl may well fantasise about drumming for LZ, but it won't happen and he knows it. He's also a hell of a lot more gracious than anyone fanning these stories in the press. I guess it's because many of the journos are assuming that Jason played at the 02 ONLY because he's Bonham's son, and not because he's actually pretty good on the drums himself.

Well said to whoever it was who pointed out the glaring fact that Grohl doesn't even play the drums in his own band, though he seems happy to pull out the sticks for anything that interests him (like Queens of the Stone Age, for instance). It'd be hard to imagine a 'superstar' like Grohl meekly sitting at the back thrashing away at his kit while LZ played in front of him, though I'm sure he'd be happy to do so. It'd be almost as bizarre as Billy Corgan living out his fantasies by joining New Order as a touring, non-singing extra musician...Hang on, that actually happened...

THANK YOU for making this point! I don't care much about the guy one way or another, but I feel really sorry for him right now.

When is this Dave Grohl shit going to end? It's such stupid nonsense.

I think it has nothing to do with David Grohl and everything to do with stupid people in the media without a story to write about.

It's the nature of the beast. I can't believe so many people don't recognize that. If people started to wise up, and wouldn't put up with this crap from the media, then the beast might change.

But the fact is, most people just loooove to hear rumors. The media and it's audience feed off of each other so if we don't want this crap to continue then we need to stop giving back.

The little blurb doesn't even make sense. Everyone knows that Jason is the drummer. That isn't going to change unless something bad happens.

• 6 months later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSmCAnYlsK0

Maybe most you have not noticed, but he has already drummed with Led Zeppelin and he proved you wrong as far as "not fitting the bill".

Sure Jason is the heir, but after the O2 gig, do you really want to hear a repeat of that? Sure it was great, but the drumming was a little uncreative on his part. And when I want to hear Zeppelin play, I want to hear the whole shibang, good singing, good guitar playing, and especially drums.

Dave is GOOD enough, if not, perfect. And don't blame him for the media's doing.

Maybe most you have not noticed, but he has already drummed with Led Zeppelin and he proved you wrong as far as "not fitting the bill".

Sure Jason is the heir, but after the O2 gig, do you really want to hear a repeat of that? Sure it was great, but the drumming was a little uncreative on his part. And when I want to hear Zeppelin play, I want to hear the whole shibang, good singing, good guitar playing, and especially drums.

Dave is GOOD enough, if not, perfect. And don't blame him for the media's doing.

He has drummed with Jimmy and JPJ. :)

Just what exactly is your point? Funny you should dig up a thread that nobody had posted in since January!!!

What part of Jason's drumming wasn't "GOOD enough" for you during the O2 gig? Seriously. Sure Jason is the heir. For damn good reason. He's a badass drummer and fills his father's shoes just fine.

You've started one stupid thread and made a stupid comment in this one. That makes you 0 for 2 in my book. Feel free to continue on with your douchebaggery. You're only making yourself look worse.

:lol:

:o

Blasphemy!!

bonham, you're enjoying your insanity a little too much.

and you dare ask us if we want a repeat of the reunion show?

....uhhh, yeah!

jason smoked. end of story. even grohl and gorman from the black crowes said so as they watched. and although i'm sure you are a famous drummer in your own right and we've probably heard your drumming on the radio (without knowing that it's you), i would take these seasoned professionals word about it if i didn't hear it with my own ears (which i have).

but look, as soon as you make the cover of rolling stone, forget everything i said....

Without a Bonham playing drums it's not LED ZEPPELIN period! it is a style of playing that was tought to Jason by his dad he even sat in on a soundcheck or two when he was a kid back in the day. He has the longest history of any drummer other than his dad with Led Zeppelin and John Bonham's legacy with them must live on for it to be real. Jason Bonham is the only drummer that will can hold up that legacy.

Insanity? Blasphemy?

From a drummer's perspective, I think Grohl played the song better musically. What is wrong with having a different opinion? I liked the O2 gig, but it wasn't astounding to me drumwise - Jason IS his son, and he IS a talented drummer, but his style isn't appealing to me.

Edit: And I apologise for the earlier thread, I haven't been online for a long time and I couldn't see anywhere that there was a thread about the Wembley concert, so I assumed you may not have heard it. Some people are quick to have a go, aren't they? :lol:

Insanity? Blasphemy?

From a drummer's perspective, I think Grohl played the song better musically. What is wrong with having a different opinion? I liked the O2 gig, but it wasn't astounding to me drumwise - Jason IS his son, and he IS a talented drummer, but his style isn't appealing to me.

Edit: And I apologise for the earlier thread, I haven't been online for a long time and I couldn't see anywhere that there was a thread about the Wembley concert, so I assumed you may not have heard it. Some people are quick to have a go, aren't they? :lol:

i was just fucking with you....

...sorry!

Just what exactly is your point? Funny you should dig up a thread that nobody had posted in since January!!!

It was me.

IT'S ALIVE!

I thought I killed this thread long ago!

Oh well, I guess I'm happy that Grohl was able to play with Jimmy and John Paul because it is certainly a dream we both share (and a lot of people I suppose). As far as I'm concerned, there's only one drummer for Led Zeppelin and his name is Bonham.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't go to see Foo Zeppelin. I thought Dave did a great job, drums and singing.

When is this Dave Grohl shit going to end? It's such stupid nonsense.

Exactly ;Dave Grohl had his 15 minutes of fame playing with jimmy and john paul jones on stage .And now has the ordasitity to be involved with making $$$$ out of the Foo fighters and special guest appearance DVD. :wtf:

:o

Blasphemy!!

Exactly ;Dave Grohl had his 15 minutes of fame playing with jimmy and john paul jones on stage .And now has the ordasitity to be involved with making $$$$ out of the Foo fighters and special guest appearance DVD. :wtf:

Exactly!!!...

R B)

Archived