Warner Brothers Halts Sales of TSRTS DVD

Breaking news from our man in Southern California:

All new sales of Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same in HD format have been halted, meaning if you want one you're going to have to scramble to find one on the shelf or order online ASAP because Warner Bros is not accepting new orders and the release is on hold until some issues can be settled. I just ordered the HD-DVD version from Best Buy online (the notice on the site said it was not available in stores).

My advise is pick this up NOW if you want it and pick up an extra copy if you want to speculate about it's collectibility. The HD and BluRays, and Special Edition packs are especially hard to find right now.

More from our Man in Southern California:

If you were thinking of getting TSRTS in HD-DVD I would recommend buying the BluRay instead. Today, Warner Bros announced that they are going exclusively BluRay, so I think HD has lost the format war. Here's the article:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/warner-...-ray-exclusive/

Warner goes Blu-ray exclusive

Posted Jan 4th 2008 3:47PM by Darren Murph

We've all been wondering what to make of those whispers that Warner was indeed going Blu-ray exclusive, and apparently, those rumblings are true. Based on a breaking release, Warner Bros. Entertainment will be releasing its high-definition titles "exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year." According to Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, the move is a "strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," and he also noted that "the window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger." Notably, Warner will continue to release on both HD DVD and Blu-ray until May 2008, but after that, it's BD for life for this studio. Oh, and while there's nothing official mentioning any sort of payoff, we're hearing that quite a sum was dished out to make this happen. Full release posted after the jump.

[Via Deadline Hollywood Daily, thanks Todd]

(January 4, 2008 – Burbank, CA) – In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future."

Re-editing the DVDs? :huh:

Well, on another note, I'm glad this format war is finally over (at least, hopefully). Now that Warner is on the Blu Ray side, the three studios who are still on the HD-DVD side will probably follow suit before the system bites the dust.

Copyright issues my ass.

Bullshit. After release the boys found something they were disappointed in and want to fix it. They just don't want to admit it.

I mean, everyone who holds a copyright gave the re-release a go, right? Else it would never have happened.

So what's the problem?

Copyright issues my ass.

Bullshit. After release the boys found something they were disappointed in and want to fix it. They just don't want to admit it.

I mean, everyone who holds a copyright gave the re-release a go, right? Else it would never have happened.

So what's the problem?

Nathan, this is much bigger than JUST the Led Zeppelin release. Warner Brothers is

phasing out ALL of their HD titles in an effort to compel the market to embrace the

more expensive Blu-Ray format discs. The other studios still release HD & Blu-ray.

This is the 2008 version of VHS vs Betamax.

Nathan, this is much bigger than JUST the Led Zeppelin release. Warner Brothers is

phasing out ALL of their HD titles in an effort to compel the market to embrace the

more expensive Blu-Ray format discs. The other studios still release HD & Blu-ray.

This is the 2008 version of VHS vs Betamax.

There's some key differences in your version of the news vs. the news I read posted to FBO by Buckeye.

It's the same except it doesn't say "in HD format" and the line "until some issues can be settled" is longer, saying "until some copyright issues can be settled or the dvds re-editted."

This is what the email sent by Buckeye to FBO says in its entirety:

got this in an email from the man with 3 eyes.

All new sales of Zep's The Song Remains The Same dvds have been halted.

Meaning if you want one you're going to have to scramble to find one on

the shelf or order online ASAP because Warner Bros is not accepting new

orders and the release is on hold until some copyright issues can be

settled or the dvds re-editted. I just ordered the HD-DVD version from

Best Buy online (note on site said it was not available in stores).

My advise is pick this up NOW if you want it and pick up an extra copy

if you want to speculate about it's collectibility. The HD and BluRays,

and Special Edition packs are especially hard to find right now.

Which is correct?

There's some key differences in your version of the news vs. the news I read posted to FBO by Buckeye.

It's the same except it doesn't say "in HD format" and the line "until some issues can be settled" is longer, saying "until some copyright issues can be settled or the dvds re-editted."

This is what the email sent by Buckeye to FBO says in its entirety:

Which is correct?

Oftentimes breaking news leads to conflicting or confusing reports. Let's see what

happens as the dust settles. As I understand it, this is bigger than the one release.

Warner Brothers is phasing out all of their HD titles in favor of Blu-Ray. I have not

seen any copyright dispute concerning TSRTS, nor intent to redit the film. That is

not to say there isn't.

RO's been discussing this for almost a month so I don't think there's any new news here unless I'm missing something. ?

It would seem you've missed the fact it was formally announced today. It's offical. I'm

sure a lot of things are discussed on a lot of boards, but that's all irrelevent for those

of us who choose only to be found here on the official site.

All I know is something must be happening on the supply side as the major music retailers in my area seem to be stocked-out and were not able to supply the Christmas season.

Also interesting that the TSRTS DVD appears not to have charted on the billboard music DVD section yet. Even the 2003 DVD made an appearance on the To; 30 Music DVD chart recently!

I know DVD sales were initially there to chart even to go to number 1 but for whatever reason the DVD never registered on chart.Is there a relation?

It would seem you've missed the fact it was formally announced today. It's offical. I'm

sure a lot of things are discussed on a lot of boards, but that's all irrelevent for those

of us who choose only to be found here on the official site.

You think that's official? Cause the regular DVD was yanked too.

All I know is something must be happening on the supply side as the major music retailers in my area seem to be stocked-out and were not able to supply the Christmas season.

Also interesting that the TSRTS DVD appears not to have charted on the billboard music DVD section yet. Even the 2003 DVD made an appearance on the To; 30 Music DVD chart recently!

I know DVD sales were initially there to chart even to go to number 1 but for whatever reason the DVD never registered on chart.Is there a relation?

I felt most of the promotion/hype this fall was centered on the release of Mothership, rather than the re-release of TSRS. I remember in 2003 when the DVD came out, you had posters, displays, promotion all over while the TSRS sort of fell through the cracks, relatively speaking.

It could explain why Mothership charted, and not the movie.

I felt most of the promotion/hype this fall was centered on the release of Mothership, rather than the re-release of TSRS. I remember in 2003 when the DVD came out, you had posters, displays, promotion all over while the TSRS sort of fell through the cracks, relatively speaking.

It could explain why Mothership charted, and not the movie.

There was less promotion for remastered TRTS but still initial sales were strong(UK it went to # 5). It did well in Japan. (I think it was #2 on international music dvd charts)

Not sure of the status of those two markets right with respect to availability,similar to USA and Canada

The real question is can retailers who are stocked-out order additional shipments at the moment and to what extent are sales in USA say just draw downs from initial shipment?

Any feedback from other countries?

There was less promotion for remastered TRTS but still initial sales were strong(UK it went to # 5). It did well in Japan. (I think it was #2 on international music dvd charts)

Not sure of the status of those two markets right with respect to availability,similar to USA and Canada

The real question is can retailers who are stocked-out order additional shipments at the moment and to what extent are sales in USA say just draw downs from initial shipment?

Any feedback from other countries?

In Germany, TSRTS DVD was selling well in the first few weeks, but it suffered from very bad distribution. Of course, it could only sell in stores where it was actually available. It was #5 on the Music DVD charts of "Mediamarkt", the biggest retail chain store in the country. But countrywide, distribution was weak from the start. In many other (chain) stores, the DVD never ever arrived. Currently, there are no separate official Music DVD charts in Germany, Music DVDs chart in the regular album charts (and TSRTS didn't, whereas LZ DVD from 2003 charted at #18 in the regular German album charts). So it's difficult to say how much was sold outside the "Mediamarkt" stores, but I guess it wasn't that much, mainly because of lack of availability.

Now, since about 4 weeks, it's very difficult to find the TSRTS DVD at all. In my region, it was sold out or not even in stock in 9 out of 10 stores. And it wasn't made available again, even in big stores there was no new shipment, even after several weeks. In the meantime, it seems that even the "Mediamarkt" chain stores are running out of stock and I'm not sure the DVDs will be reordered soon. Amazon.de still have it in stock though. Perhaps, the release has actually been pulled from retailers by Warner, who knows? Or, it could just be the usual, poor distribution job of Warner Home Video.

Guy at the local record store said the Collector's Edition was pulled from the shelves due to distribution or something rights. I was supposed to get it for Christmas from my g/f, but Amazon is way out of stock and say they won't even ship any till the end of this month, if that. Is this issue bigger than the HD releases?

You think that's official? Cause the regular DVD was yanked too.

Listen, I'm not the Chairman of Warner Brothers so I can only refer honorable ladies and gentlemen to the comments he made some time ago: ALL Warner Brothers HD titles will be phased out between now and May 2008.

Listen, I'm not the Chairman of Warner Brothers so I can only refer honorable ladies and gentlemen to the comments he made some time ago: ALL Warner Brothers HD titles will be phased out between now and May 2008.

Don't think that has anything to do with the TSRTS DVD release being pulled. If that was the reason than every Warner Brothers HD title would be being pulled at the moment.

Don't think that has anything to do with the TSRTS DVD release being pulled. If that was the reason than every Warner Brothers HD title would be being pulled at the moment.

Absolutely. With all the titles WB has it would hardly make an issue with a minor film like TSRTS.

I might add not sure how the HD -Blu-ray controversy should weigh on TSRTS special edtion?

If you buy the HD version of TSRTS, you can play it only on the HD dvd player which is being phased out. By making the edition Blu-ray then you have to have a blu-ray player which will be the latest and greatest player for the next few years, till they come up with something even better.

Imo, discs are their way to becoming obselete anyway but the major corporations are holding out. I agree with this commenter from engadget:

I say neither will be win. I see the future of hd movie delivery as mostly online via TIVO or some other sort of dvr system. Once people realize that they no longer need to keep hundreds of disks as with what has happend to music and mp3s there will be no going back. THink about it. Would you rather spend your money on a networked hard drive based device or even a full fledged HTPC that can do so much more. Or would you go with that new blu-ray or hd-dvd player?

Archived