Warner Brothers Halts Sales of TSRTS DVD

You would have thought they would have straightened these legal issues before releasing it, they had plenty of time, to the tune of 15-20 years(?). It seems to be selling well too, nothing like killing a DVD right after it gets released, that is, if they halted the standard DVD in addition to the HD and Blu-Ray. If Peter Grant were still around, somebody would be in the hospital with 2 broken legs right about now, and he'd be sharing the hospital room with the monitor engineer responsible for the feedback from the O2 gig!!

You would have thought they would have straightened these legal issues before releasing it, they had plenty of time, to the tune of 15-20 years(?).

As with the current WGA strike in the US. They have had decades to sort that out too, but that doesn't mean anything.

The point is, Sony will make lots of money if Blu-Ray wins. It lobbys the studios to exclusively use Blu-Ray, and probably gives them a good deal on the license if they do. This is not about companies reaching an amicable agreement on HD vs. Blu-Ray, this is about making money. Everyone wants to hold out till the last minute to make their decision. If they sided with HD and then HD loses and stops being manufactured, they then have to pay another fee to use Blu-Ray.

This appears to be a USA only issue. Plenty of all three formats available in the shops when I went for a look yesterday in London. Would any of our continental European members comment on availability in their respective countries?

This appears to be a USA only issue. Plenty of all three formats available in the shops when I went for a look yesterday in London. Would any of our continental European members comment on availability in their respective countries?

Did that before, don't think it's an American issue. In Germany, there's something wrong with the availability of the DVD as well. And I'm speaking of the standard DVD which is almost impossible to find in stores now. Never ever saw any high definition versions here.

Quote:

"In Germany, TSRTS DVD was selling well in the first few weeks, but it suffered from very bad distribution. Of course, it could only sell in stores where it was actually available. It was #5 on the Music DVD charts of "Mediamarkt", the biggest retail chain store in the country. But countrywide, distribution was weak from the start. In many other (chain) stores, the DVD never ever arrived. Currently, there are no separate official Music DVD charts in Germany, Music DVDs chart in the regular album charts (and TSRTS didn't, whereas LZ DVD from 2003 charted at #18 in the regular German album charts). So it's difficult to say how much was sold outside the "Mediamarkt" stores, but I guess it wasn't that much, mainly because of lack of availability.

Now, since about 4 weeks, it's very difficult to find the TSRTS DVD at all. In my region, it was sold out or not even in stock in 9 out of 10 stores. And it wasn't made available again, even in big stores there was no new shipment, even after several weeks. In the meantime, it seems that even the "Mediamarkt" chain stores are running out of stock and I'm not sure the DVDs will be reordered soon. Amazon.de still have it in stock though. Perhaps, the release has actually been pulled from retailers by Warner, who knows? Or, it could just be the usual, poor distribution job of Warner Home Video."

Plus, it seems the DVD has never been released in France at all. Germany and France are the two biggest markets in Europe, so it's safe to say there is an issue with the availability of TSRTS DVD in Europe. But, as mentioned before, it doesn't necessarily mean the DVD was pulled (though it is possible, perhaps even likely), it could also be a poor distribution job by Warner.

Guy at the local record store said the Collector's Edition was pulled from the shelves due to distribution or something rights. I was supposed to get it for Christmas from my g/f, but Amazon is way out of stock and say they won't even ship any till the end of this month, if that. Is this issue bigger than the HD releases?

The Collector's Edition (the inside box) has a "Not authorized for sale or rental outside USA and Canada...direct violation written terms of trade...severe criminal penalties".

The "Extra's" box (not the DVD) has a "For promotional use only. Not intended for individual resale." on the back of it.

I don't know if it helps but I thought I would pass it on.

Plus, it seems the DVD has never been released in France at all. Germany and France are the two biggest markets in Europe, so it's safe to say there is an issue with the availability of TSRTS DVD in Europe. But, as mentioned before, it doesn't necessarily mean the DVD was pulled (though it is possible, perhaps even likely), it could also be a poor distribution job by Warner.

They may have attempted to stagger the release of the DVD in many european markets so as the local markets could absorb the flurry of releases before running into some distribution or legal difficulties.

In the UK,Canada,USA and Japan it was only a week between release of Mothership and TSTS CD/ DVD not to mentiion the release of Raising Sand a month prior.

A country like Norway, where both Mothership and Rasing Sand are Top 10, not even a flicker with regard to DVD or CD.Has it been released at all?

I know in Australia the TSRTS DVD was slated to be released in eary December,I wonder if it was released at all as well?How about New Zealand not even a flicker yet from the DVD even though Mothership is a huge hit there?

Perhaps anyone from Norway,Australia,New Zealand or can shed further light

It makes sense in UK since it is charting so it must be available for sale.

It makes sense in UK since it is charting so it must be available for sale.

It seems that WB are much more interested in pushing the Mothership compilation here in the UK than TSRTS. I noticed many ads and posters for Mothership and interestingly enough the DVD set from 2003 (I think it was 2003) in railway stations etc, but virtually nothing for TSRTS. Odd.

It seems that WB are much more interested in pushing the Mothership compilation here in the UK than TSRTS. I noticed many ads and posters for Mothership and interestingly enough the DVD set from 2003 (I think it was 2003) in railway stations etc, but virtually nothing for TSRTS. Odd.

Actually UK is very much a compiliations-oriented market and to focus marketing effors on Mothership was prudent given the success of Queen compiliations in UK. Led Zeppelin Remasters ,Early Days/Latters sales in UK were good but not specular like the Queen compiliations so there is still a market out UK for the casual Zeppelin fan and the collector alike for Mothership

R-O has been discussing this for quite some time, unofficially or otherwise, yet accurately. The thread over there is most informative.

All versions of the new release DVD have been recalled and no new further distribution is scheduled. Product currently in distribution will not be replenished, and there was some discussion about a recall of the existing products.

Speculation is a copyright infringement issue, that may be isolated to the US, since it appears the European distribution was unaffected.

The bluray HDDVD debate has nothing to do with the halting of the release.

I won the new TSRTS from a radio station. Got the CD's, but they said the DVD was back-ordered from the label. Now I know why. I'll probably never get it. <_<

Speaking to one retailer it was pulled over legal issues

I managed to get my copy from a local indie record store here, Warners site didnt have any available almost immediately...and I paid ten bucks more than the website was selling it for. I was very happy with it, although I would agree, the marketing and distribution of it was lacking for such a huge company.

I know in Australia the TSRTS DVD was slated to be released in eary December,I wonder if it was released at all as well?How about New Zealand not even a flicker yet from the DVD even though Mothership is a huge hit there?

I can confirm it has been released here, I had no trouble finding it, in fact I had pretty much forgotten when it was coming out, walked into JB hi-fi, a large chain store here, and there were stacks of them at the entrance in a display. I bought it right away, of course. I havn't seen any HD or Blu-Ray, but I also havn't looked.

Speculation is a copyright infringement issue, that may be isolated to the US, since it appears the European distribution was unaffected.

The bluray HDDVD debate has nothing to do with the halting of the release.

I don't understand this though? Zep still own their publishing rights, and as I understand it, they paid for the film to be made, thus holding the copyright on the film, so what is the issue? To do with the extras? Can't believe it......

As with the current WGA strike in the US. They have had decades to sort that out too, but that doesn't mean anything.

The point is, Sony will make lots of money if Blu-Ray wins. It lobbys the studios to exclusively use Blu-Ray, and probably gives them a good deal on the license if they do. This is not about companies reaching an amicable agreement on HD vs. Blu-Ray, this is about making money. Everyone wants to hold out till the last minute to make their decision. If they sided with HD and then HD loses and stops being manufactured, they then have to pay another fee to use Blu-Ray.

It was speculated that Sony Paid WB $400 Million to go Blu-Ray only.

I saw lots of SE TSRTS sets at Sams recently.

They may have attempted to stagger the release of the DVD in many european markets so as the local markets could absorb the flurry of releases before running into some distribution or legal difficulties.

No, I don't think so. Official release date for TSRTS CD and DVD in Germany and central Europe was November 23rd (two weeks after Mothership which was released on November 9th in Germany). End of November, TSRTS CD and DVD were promoted by Warner with full page ads in several German music magazines, always mentioning November 23rd as official release date. And a few weeks later, you can't find the DVD in the stores anymore. Weird stuff.

I assume it has something to do with the material on the bonus disc, but not the additional songs....

So I think the CD is safe.

Gosh, I hope not! I haven't gotten the CD's yet but plan to this week before something else comes up! Glad I got the DVD's. I was having trouble finding the collector's edition box with the t-shirt, etc. so I settled for just the DVD's... Thanks!

Archived