Kashmir lyrics

slave to zep

10 hours ago, slave to zep said:

I disagree. 

Listen for the loooooooong part, plus it makes more sense.

If you already had your mind made up about the answer, why bother to ask the question?

I have listened to "Kashmir" hundreds and hundreds of times since 1975. I have heard Plant singing it in concert with Led Zeppelin and during the Page & Plant tours, where it was even clearer what words he was singing. I even had Plant sing the words with me at Amoeba. He is singing "trying to find where I've beeeeeeeen". Anything else you hear is the reverb echo effects and a trick of your ears.

46 minutes ago, Leadbelly said:

Try to find, try to find the way I feel

This makes even less sense than 'belong'. At least 'been' and 'belong' begin with the same consonant sound of 'b'. 'Feel' is totally different and Plant is clearly not making an 'f' sound at that part. You are another victim of internet misinformation.

2 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

It's where I've been, though in concert Robert was known to change lyrics on occasion so possibly in some shows he may have said belong instead of been. Every live version I heard and the album version he is saying been, not belong.

Never ever heard him sing "belong" once in all the live versions I have. Never.

13 hours ago, Strider said:

If you already had your mind made up about the answer, why bother to ask the question?

I have listened to "Kashmir" hundreds and hundreds of times since 1975. I have heard Plant singing it in concert with Led Zeppelin and during the Page & Plant tours, where it was even clearer what words he was singing. I even had Plant sing the words with me at Amoeba. He is singing "trying to find where I've beeeeeeeen". Anything else you hear is the reverb echo effects and a trick of your ears.

Hmm, bit rude.☹

I was hoping someone else would also agree with me.

I've heard the song many times, also. Not as many as you, though.

I'll always hear belong, so there! 🤪

16 hours ago, slave to zep said:

So if it's "been",  why don't you hear "I've " before it?

And what is he singing after "been"? Just aaaaah?

Tryin to find where you belong makes way more sense.

He does say "I've" before been, the line is: "try to find, try to find...where I've Beeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnaaaaahhhhhhhh..."

However I did find a lyric sheet that claims the line after the word find is, "the way I feel." But that both makes no sense and that is not, never what I hear / heard.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:59 PM, slave to zep said:

Hmm, bit rude.☹

I was hoping someone else would also agree with me.

I've heard the song many times, also. Not as many as you, though.

I'll always hear belong, so there! 🤪

Jump to 4:21 and there is your answer

On 2/20/2021 at 11:06 PM, slave to zep said:

So if it's "been",  why don't you hear "I've " before it?

And what is he singing after "been"? Just aaaaah?

Tryin to find where you belong makes way more sense.

Explain how that makes more sense?

In the first stanza the lyrics are:

"I am a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been"

So, why does it seem to not make sense to you that in 5th stanza he sings:

All I see turns to brown
As the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand
As I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been

Now jump down to the 7th stanza and the lyrics...

"My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon
I will return again"

This 'traveler of BOTH time AND Space sining 'I will return again to where he has been' makes sense to me, doesn't in you?

On 2/20/2021 at 1:08 PM, LedZep123 said:

Related to Kashmir (but not the lyrics), I feel like the song could've done with at least a decent guitar solo. But it is still an amazing song, one of their best. 

I think that is one of the great things about Kashmir.  To me, it does not need a guitar solo. In fact, in a studio version it might detract from the overall structure/composition.  The orchestration is magnificent and stands on its own, making the track even more unique and special.

That being said, Page plays some great riffs and fills during the outro in live versions.  But he does not add a whole section to the song to add a guitar solo. He is embellishing the existing orchestration.

3 hours ago, John M said:

I think that is one of the great things about Kashmir.  To me, it does not need a guitar solo. In fact, in a studio version it might detract from the overall structure/composition.  The orchestration is magnificent and stands on its own, making the track even more unique and special.

That being said, Page plays some great riffs and fills during the outro in live versions.  But he does not add a whole section to the song to add a guitar solo. He is embellishing the existing orchestration.

Yes!

The difference between a good song and a great song in the context of composition is this, the guitar solo (or any solo for that matter) must fit and serve the song and arrangement. I don't care how smoking a solo is, if it either does not fit the songs arrangement, or is out of character for the theme and melody of the song, it is just a misplaced distraction. Not all songs need a solo, but all solos need a good song. Kashmir, Out on the Tiles, Four Sticks, HHWCID, Immigrant Song do not need solos, they are perfect as it. Though Jimmy did put together a great solo for live Immigrant Song, but the solo stayed within the melody and arrangement of the song.

When I was learning theory and composition back in my school days, our teacher always told us that the professional musicians biggest obstacle is their own ego and need to shine above their peers. Great musicians always place the song above their own need for attention. Sometimes its not what you play but what you don't play.

Edited by BobDobbs

On 2/20/2021 at 10:08 AM, LedZep123 said:

Related to Kashmir (but not the lyrics), I feel like the song could've done with at least a decent guitar solo. But it is still an amazing song, one of their best. 

No guitar solo is what makes this song special. A lot of great songs don't have guitar solos.

Jimmy was going for a North African trance effect with Kashmir. Everything in the song was geared to lull the listener into a hypnotic trance...the metronomic beat, the repetitive riffing, the orchestral swirls, the drones. No one instrument stands apart...all is subsumed into the whole for the good of the song.

A guitar solo would have broken the spell and called unnecessary attention away from the whole and to the guitar. Jimmy wisely refrained from inserting his ego into the perfect architecture the band had built for the song.

21 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Maybe Jimmy could have done Eruption in the middle for shits and giggles?

No, the riffs from Hot Dog if what he was going for was to ruin the song.

I liked Eddie, but a tendency toward excess often too much.  I'm glad Eruption came BEFORE  'You Really Got me" on the album, and not in the middle of the song. If it came in the middle it would be like that scene with Michael J. Fox  in the film 'Back to the Future' shredding a solo in the middle of Johnny B. Goode --- and everyone going  WTF?

On 2/23/2021 at 7:39 AM, Brigante said:

Baffled as to how anyone could hear anything other than 'where I've been', to be honest!
I'm in the 'no solo needed' camp on this one, too.

+1. I'm a shocker for mis-heard lyrics, but this one seems pretty straight forward. Sorry slave. :)

On 2/23/2021 at 7:21 AM, Strider said:

No guitar solo is what makes this song special. A lot of great songs don't have guitar solos.

Jimmy was going for a North African trance effect with Kashmir. Everything in the song was geared to lull the listener into a hypnotic trance...the metronomic beat, the repetitive riffing, the orchestral swirls, the drones. No one instrument stands apart...all is subsumed into the whole for the good of the song.

A guitar solo would have broken the spell and called unnecessary attention away from the whole and to the guitar. Jimmy wisely refrained from inserting his ego into the perfect architecture the band had built for the song.

True

I think I imagine too much

On 2/23/2021 at 7:21 AM, Strider said:

Let me clarify - 

Yes, of course I know that most songs don't have guitar solos. But, as a guitarist, I like guitar solo's. 

Also, just to be clear, I love the song just how it is. It is a classic rock staple, with or without a guitar solo.

However, when I say guitar solo, I don't mean putting in a Stairway solo - that would just kill the song. Have you ever listened to the song by Rainbow called Stargazer? Listen to that guitar solo. It fits into the song perfectly. To me, I see similarites between the song. And I was thinking, whoah, what if that was in Kashmir? Giving the song a solo kind of like that could've/would've been cool. Of course, there's no going back onto it. It is an AMAZING song. 

( - unlike most other people, I think I would put Kashmir at at Number 7 for best LZ songs - controversial I know 😏

Anyways...