'When the Levee Breaks' Guitars DEMYSTIFIED!

El_Mink

Reason why Kansas Joe McCoy was never credited is because the only portion of the original they used was the lyrics, the music and arrangement are completely different. Minnie wrote the lyrics thus she was credited. McCoy only wrote the music, not the lyrics.

BTW, great stuff, you really get into the nuts and bolts and then some. Certain songs are like a Caravaggio in their detail and attention to subtlety. Other songs are like stick figures made by a four year old with a broken hand. Levee is without a doubt a Caravaggio.

It's a good idea to match music and art pieces.

From my point of view, When The Levee Breaks can be compared with the refined works of Kuindzhi.

Air, layering and the finest work with color (sound), at the highest level.

Please, look:

Kuindzhi_Moonlit_night_on_the_Dnieper_1880_grm_x2.thumb.jpg.a498ba58d0c7b6a817b4b884f960094d.jpg

37 minutes ago, Rustam said:

It's a good idea to match music and art pieces.

From my point of view, When The Levee Breaks can be compared with the refined works of Kuindzhi.

Air, layering and the finest work with color (sound), at the highest level.

Please, look:

Kuindzhi_Moonlit_night_on_the_Dnieper_1880_grm_x2.thumb.jpg.a498ba58d0c7b6a817b4b884f960094d.jpg

Nice, good reference!

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

Nice, good reference!

Thank you.🙂

"Make it so that they could not do otherwise, then they will believe" - Kuindzhi A. I.

In fact, many parallels can be drawn with Kuindzhi. An absolutely unique artist, an unsurpassed landscape painter.

The son of a shoemaker, he came to St. Petersburg with empty pockets and became a millionaire by the age of 40.

In 1880, an extraordinary exhibition was opened in St. Petersburg: one painting (shown above) was shown — "Moonlit Night on the Dnieper".

It was real sensation. An unprecedented exhibition of one painting was accompanied by an unprecedented excitement...

On 3/10/2021 at 5:26 PM, El_Mink said:

Hey folks, I just made this video exploring Page's brilliance on this song. Let me know what you think!

Very cool!  I always knew I was listening to genius even though I had no real way of understanding it to be genius in the first place.  

On 3/10/2021 at 11:26 PM, El_Mink said:

Hey folks, I just made this video exploring Page's brilliance on this song. Let me know what you think!

El_Mink, thank you so much for that video!  It was eye/ear-opening and very entertaining at the same time.

I’m not a musician, but have always been fascinated and amazed by what Page was doing when he dropped in his flourishes, and believe me I spent an unreal amount of time under my headphones with those records (yes I’m old), and of course the volume was often turned up to 11!

You nicely defined the cool stuff he was doing on Levee and you did so in an informative and entertaining way.  

Of course he was awesome live, both with his playing as well as visually, but it was really the records where his artistry was at its peak in my opinion.

Thanks again and I hope you’ll make some more of these types of videos.  All the best

On 3/10/2021 at 3:52 PM, BobDobbs said:

Reason why Kansas Joe McCoy was never credited is because the only portion of the original they used was the lyrics, the music and arrangement are completely different. Minnie wrote the lyrics thus she was credited. McCoy only wrote the music, not the lyrics.

Kansas Joe wasn't credited because he'd been dead for 20 years and had no heirs. Memphis Minnie was still alive but living in a nursing home, so Zep's credit helped to pay for her care. 

On 3/20/2021 at 4:00 PM, Mr. Snrub said:

Kansas Joe wasn't credited because he'd been dead for 20 years and had no heirs. Memphis Minnie was still alive but living in a nursing home, so Zep's credit helped to pay for her care. 

Well, yeah, that too. Wonder if he is buried in Kansas? 

20 hours ago, McSeven said:

The thing I don't get about Zep is why they could not pull off Levee Live for the most part.  Was it really that hard.  Then you see them doing In My time of dying and its heavy as Levee to.  

I think both version I have heard live are just, even with Roberts sore voice and jimmy's broken finger I think they blow the roof off the place. Jimmy's solos are interesting and quite different on each night. Bonham's drumming is ultra heavy and the recordings convey the immense presence he and his drums had.