Winterland 1969

lololabrute

On 3/18/2021 at 3:05 PM, Nutrocker said:

"...Absolutely NO justice in this world when cancer can take my wife yet an immoral, unethical shitbag like YOU still roams the Earth..."

I'm sorry to read your wife passed away some time ago. My wife passed away 6 weeks ago (02-04) after a nearly 6 year struggle against ovarian cancer. 

I can understand you have some disagreement or arguments with other people but I would NEVER THINK of using the death of my wife in a fight with someone. I think you passed a line with that comment.

The death of a beloved one can never be compared to the the 'loss' (or not sharing) of a bootleg recording (if any). 

To me it seems you have a personal vendetta with Zepster. You two seem to be the toro and the matador in a corrida. Whenever someone of you says something, the other one jumps on the train and the fight begins. Give it a rest! Both of you! What's all the hustle worth?

On 3/19/2021 at 1:45 AM, Nutrocker said:

Cheers, Walter. You may recall a period a couple years back when I was more or less incommunicado within the community, that's when I was dealing with the missus. As for finally busting Zepster/AA, like I say, after all these years I feel vindicated now, feels pretty good!😄 And FWIW I don't buy a goddamn word about the shit AA is supposedly hoarding. Christ, he used to accuse me of hoarding Freezer's Baton Rouge '77 recording, now all of sudden he has it? I think not.

you know, when I read that comment I had the exact same thoughts, that he didn't have any of the stuff he was yapping about.  In all my years on the interweps, all those who bragged and told people they didn't know what they were talking about actually had nothing. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:56 PM, Nutrocker said:

Was it as good for you as it was for me?😄😄😄

I'm just happy another show I had never heard before was unleashed, thanks to the Dogs of Doom.

Edited by Strider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 9:10 AM, SteveZ98 said:

Is this it? If so, looks like it's been out for a couple of years.

I was in the front row this night - with my friend Ron Lorenz - over 50 yrs ago.....we had the crappy reel to real mini cassette on stage about

2 ft from Robert's boots.  Sorry for the shitty recording - someone on Dogs of Doom unearthed a great recording someone did with a sony

deck and stereo mikes.  I was always embarrassed at some of our blunders.  A girl kept bumping the reel which accounts for that herky-jerky

good times bad times problems.  I'd been there the night before so that's my voice announcing "heartbreaker" to my friends.  This night a 

yellow balloon with purple lettering floated up on stage....it said the word "PLATE"   Robert commented that this word in England is sometimes

associated with 'head' as in crapper I think, not sexual.......Robert seemed a bit annoyed at our recorder but was basically cool.  He was annoyed

that we refused to sit down......we got to Winterland nearly 5 hours early to be first in line.....5 hours commitment would get you front rown in

1969 but no longer when they returned to Oakland in 1970..........I was row 19 at that show...........anyway.......at the end of How Many More Times

just before Robert skies his voice- brining the band crashing back into the main riff or the last time.......he'd coiled his heavy mic cording

into 3 or 4 loops.......and as his voice came to the penultimate moment.........the threw all the coils of his heavy cord down around my shoulders

temporarily straight-jacketing me........quite funny although the cord did not quite clear my right ear on the way down and felt like

it had been torn off.......for a while.......I might also say that Robert had poured a bunch of gold and silver glitter in his hair that night

and it was everywhere.....for a few minutes as he shook his head......we were choking on the stuff and almost considered moving

back in that sea of people.  My favorite part of that show was White Summer.......Jimmy did an especially long and cool version that

night.......also, the Eddie Cochran cover "Cmon Everybody" which I believe they also did at the Albert Hall famous show.

I saw ever Fillmore show in Jan and April '69, one Winterland show.....and all 3 nights at Winterland in November.   The Oakland '70

was great, especially the 2nd half of the show with the WLL medley.........both Berkeley shows in '71 were wonderful but the 2nd one

was my all-time favorite of seeing the lads live.  "73 Kezar Stadium a big hassle but worth it...was very far back..........

For the record, Zep did not play hey hey what can I do on the 14 and I sure with the rest of that great show would surface!

75 they skipped San Franciso.........the 2 shows in 1977 were "okay"   the 2nd day inferior to the first......I believe that was their

last how ever in America.   Greattest thrill - January 1969 Jimmy introduced me and my brother to the rest of the band........

I told him I wrote for my school paper ( a necessary creation at the moment) we shared a plate of meatballs.......my brother

commented to Jimmy that we experienced other guitarists as the check me out I am the star guitarist....type of feel.......

aka Jimi Hendrix, Ten Years After - even the Jeff Beck Group..but with Zeppelin the over = all power of the four of them was

overwhelming...........he really appreciated that observation and seem genuinely interested in what the audience was experiencing.

I have always felt Zeppelin was the best ever - unapproachable, really........and that for most nights - there was a commitment

to give the audience the best rock and roll they would ever hear or see.  Most nights they succeeded.   If you read all of

this.......I'm a 72 year old goat....my wife says I have never matured beyond 15.  Perhaps she's right.  It was such a perfect

time to be young.  For Led Zeppelin 1st LP, and II and III  each time I drove from San Jose to San Francisco so I could

get the Led Zeppelin record one day before everyone else in San Jose!   When they first came in January '69, a few weeks before

the record would hit the stores........Tom Donahue of KSAN radio in San Francisco had at least a few members of Zeppelin

in the studio.....played the whole album and asked them band members questions about songs.....at the time Jimmy said

his favorite cut was Babe I'm Gonna Leave You....I don't know if anyone has that interview but I remember hearing it that night.

Before the record was released the DJ's in San Francisco and San Jose were told to just play How Many More Times

so for a week or so - nobody had yet heard Dazed or Communications Breakdown....no You're Time Is Gonna Come......

crazy days.  Also met Jimmy briefly less than a year before when he was with the original Yardbirds (no Jeff Beck).........

somebody had given keith relf a black eye earlier in the day......anyway, Jimmy was just as nice to his admiring audience

that time as well.

11 hours ago, Supros and Telecasters said:

I was in the front row this night - with my friend Ron Lorenz - over 50 yrs ago.....we had the crappy reel to real mini cassette on stage about

2 ft from Robert's boots.  Sorry for the shitty recording - someone on Dogs of Doom unearthed a great recording someone did with a sony

deck and stereo mikes.  I was always embarrassed at some of our blunders.  A girl kept bumping the reel which accounts for that herky-jerky

good times bad times problems.  I'd been there the night before so that's my voice announcing "heartbreaker" to my friends.  This night a 

yellow balloon with purple lettering floated up on stage....it said the word "PLATE"   Robert commented that this word in England is sometimes

associated with 'head' as in crapper I think, not sexual.......Robert seemed a bit annoyed at our recorder but was basically cool.  He was annoyed

that we refused to sit down......we got to Winterland nearly 5 hours early to be first in line.....5 hours commitment would get you front rown in

1969 but no longer when they returned to Oakland in 1970..........I was row 19 at that show...........anyway.......at the end of How Many More Times

just before Robert skies his voice- brining the band crashing back into the main riff or the last time.......he'd coiled his heavy mic cording

into 3 or 4 loops.......and as his voice came to the penultimate moment.........the threw all the coils of his heavy cord down around my shoulders

temporarily straight-jacketing me........quite funny although the cord did not quite clear my right ear on the way down and felt like

it had been torn off.......for a while.......I might also say that Robert had poured a bunch of gold and silver glitter in his hair that night

and it was everywhere.....for a few minutes as he shook his head......we were choking on the stuff and almost considered moving

back in that sea of people.  My favorite part of that show was White Summer.......Jimmy did an especially long and cool version that

night.......also, the Eddie Cochran cover "Cmon Everybody" which I believe they also did at the Albert Hall famous show.

I saw ever Fillmore show in Jan and April '69, one Winterland show.....and all 3 nights at Winterland in November.   The Oakland '70

was great, especially the 2nd half of the show with the WLL medley.........both Berkeley shows in '71 were wonderful but the 2nd one

was my all-time favorite of seeing the lads live.  "73 Kezar Stadium a big hassle but worth it...was very far back..........

For the record, Zep did not play hey hey what can I do on the 14 and I sure with the rest of that great show would surface!

75 they skipped San Franciso.........the 2 shows in 1977 were "okay"   the 2nd day inferior to the first......I believe that was their

last how ever in America.   Greattest thrill - January 1969 Jimmy introduced me and my brother to the rest of the band........

I told him I wrote for my school paper ( a necessary creation at the moment) we shared a plate of meatballs.......my brother

commented to Jimmy that we experienced other guitarists as the check me out I am the star guitarist....type of feel.......

aka Jimi Hendrix, Ten Years After - even the Jeff Beck Group..but with Zeppelin the over = all power of the four of them was

overwhelming...........he really appreciated that observation and seem genuinely interested in what the audience was experiencing.

I have always felt Zeppelin was the best ever - unapproachable, really........and that for most nights - there was a commitment

to give the audience the best rock and roll they would ever hear or see.  Most nights they succeeded.   If you read all of

this.......I'm a 72 year old goat....my wife says I have never matured beyond 15.  Perhaps she's right.  It was such a perfect

time to be young.  For Led Zeppelin 1st LP, and II and III  each time I drove from San Jose to San Francisco so I could

get the Led Zeppelin record one day before everyone else in San Jose!   When they first came in January '69, a few weeks before

the record would hit the stores........Tom Donahue of KSAN radio in San Francisco had at least a few members of Zeppelin

in the studio.....played the whole album and asked them band members questions about songs.....at the time Jimmy said

his favorite cut was Babe I'm Gonna Leave You....I don't know if anyone has that interview but I remember hearing it that night.

Before the record was released the DJ's in San Francisco and San Jose were told to just play How Many More Times

so for a week or so - nobody had yet heard Dazed or Communications Breakdown....no You're Time Is Gonna Come......

crazy days.  Also met Jimmy briefly less than a year before when he was with the original Yardbirds (no Jeff Beck).........

somebody had given keith relf a black eye earlier in the day......anyway, Jimmy was just as nice to his admiring audience

that time as well.

Thanks for your fantastic recollection!

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2021 at 6:46 AM, zeplz71 said:

Thanks for your fantastic recollection!

On 11/12/2021 at 7:00 PM, Supros and Telecasters said:

that time as well.

The second source taper here. My sister, a friend and I sat in seats sort of stage right, just below the edge of the balcony, as I recall and getting constantly showered a bit with stuff from above. 

My first visit to Winterland and taping attempt with my Sony TC-124 and single-point stereo mic, and 120 minute BASF tapes were too much for the thing; tangles during playback, so I just didn't.

Owned a Sony portable 8-track player/recorder for about a week previously. Got a neck and shoulder rub during the show, but never turned around to see who performed it.

Standing up and sitting down, creaky wooden seats, and otherwise trying to remain silent made for some difficult to remove noises.

Dadgad's remaster of the relentless Dog's issue of my tape and transfer really brings out so much detail (would really LOVE to hear from him about how he "managed" it!).

Thank you so much for those precious missing bits of White Summer/ Black Mountain Side and Moby Dick.

Am working on a patched and cleaned up version of things, and Moby Dick overlapped, synched up and matrixed is "officially" times in at 17:16, depending on tape speeds and starting and stopping points?

Later, and still from San Jose, CA!