Dazed and confused Mars section.

jsj

Click this link and it will take you straight to the Mars section of the song. It is and always has been my favorite section of live Dazed.

The first recorded use of this section was the Texas Pop Festival on August 31, 1969 and it was the final piece of the puzzle for the early years arrangement of Dazed. The structure of the song didn't change again for well over another year. Mars remained in the song until its final performance in 1975.

Funny I just heard the Mars section of the Planets this afternoon on classical radio. It made me think how Holst really captured the drama and intensity of war. The scene at the beginning of Gladiator when the Romans square off against the Barbarians uses Mars to great effect. 

9 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Funny I just heard the Mars section of the Planets this afternoon on classical radio. It made me think how Holst really captured the drama and intensity of war. The scene at the beginning of Gladiator when the Romans square off against the Barbarians uses Mars to great effect. 

It is also used to great effect in the movie The Man Who Fell to Earth with David Bowie.  Can't find the scene on YouTube.

King Crimson had 3 live versions of Mars on their 1969 live album Epitath, released in 1997.

19 minutes ago, Wolfman said:

Why is it called the Mars section  and where did Page get it from?

An early 20th century composer named Gustav Holst composed a piece called The Planets between 1914-16 which was broken up into different themes based on the Greco / Roman mythology of those planets. Mars (the bringer of war) is the section being referred to here. Jimmy adopted Mars and other sections of the Planets for both the live D&C and also the progression of Friends borrows heavily from Holst.

Holst wrote his suite in response to WWI.

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Hungieman said:

I paid $18 for the Planets CD back in the late 90s just so I could hear it. We’re so lucky today with the internet. 

I found the local public library so helpful in the 80s and 90s as I explored classical and jazz.  I have been fortunate to live in places near a public library with alot of vinyl and CDs to check out.