What is your favourite concert you've been too?

LedZep123

I have been to 3 concerts, and I'm going to a festival in December. I went to see Santana & The Doobie Brothers at the Shoreline in California in 2019 (I was 14 years old), Queen (w/Adam Lambert) in Auckland 2020 (still 14 years old) and Crowded House in Auckland 2021 (15 years old, nearly 16)

Favourite one has to be Queen though

For the awe factor, Page and Plant here in Montreal. Row 4 center. I spent the whole show with my jaw on the floor. It was one of the greatest nights of my life. 

For another band, hands down Tool. Everytime. They will blow your fucking mind. 

BB King in a small club in the early 80s was pretty special too. 

Great question 123. Love it. 

Favorite - Page/Plant in Boston, July 13, 1998. I was fortunate enough to see Jimmy and Robert seven times. Not only was this the best of those concerts, it's the best of all of the hundred or so concerts I've been to. The entire crowd was floating two feet off the ground as we left the arena. Just a magic night.

Runner Up - Page/Plant in London, November 6, 1998. I was in the front row for this show. Dreams do come true. Steve Jones took the photo below. I was standing a little to his right.

image.png.85b3296bf0ea5cc27e97afea6a4218d5.png

On 3/28/2021 at 2:39 AM, pageluvva said:

For the awe factor, Page and Plant here in Montreal. Row 4 center. I spent the whole show with my jaw on the floor. It was one of the greatest nights of my life. 

For another band, hands down Tool. Everytime. They will blow your fucking mind. 

BB King in a small club in the early 80s was pretty special too. 

Great question 123. Love it. 

My friend went to see Tool in NZ 2020. They said it was amazing, and then played Fear Incolum. 

12 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

How many shows have you been too at the Forum?

14 Led Zeppelin concerts from 1972 - 1977.  Two at Long Beach Arena. One at Kezar Stadium, San Francisco. Eleven at the Fabulous Forum.

Just now, Strider said:

14 Led Zeppelin concerts from 1972 - 1977.  Two at Long Beach Arena. One at Kezar Stadium, San Francisco. Eleven at the Fabulous Forum.

Right - let me think about this

June 25th 1972 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

May 31st 1973 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

June 2nd 1973 - San Francisco, CA, USA - Kezar Stadium

June 3rd 1973 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

March 11th 1975 - Long Beach, CA, USA - Long Beach Arena

March 12th 1975 - Long Beach, CA, USA - Long Beach Arena

March 24th 1975 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

March 25th 1975 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

March 27th 1975 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

June 21st 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

June 23rd 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

June 25th 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

June 26th 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

June 27th 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

I think. 

* - I think from the '77 shows, originally the dates for the Forum were March 11th - March 15th. Did you get your tickets when they were billed for these dates or...?

2 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Right - let me think about this

June 25th 1972 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

May 31st 1973 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

June 2nd 1973 - San Francisco, CA, USA - Kezar Stadium

June 3rd 1973 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

March 11th 1975 - Long Beach, CA, USA - Long Beach Arena

March 12th 1975 - Long Beach, CA, USA - Long Beach Arena

March 24th 1975 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

March 25th 1975 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

March 27th 1975 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum

June 21st 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

June 23rd 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

June 25th 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

June 26th 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

June 27th 1977 - Inglewood, CA, USA - The Forum *

I think. 

* - I think from the '77 shows, originally the dates for the Forum were March 11th - March 15th. Did you get your tickets when they were billed for these dates or...?

Very, very close. The two Long Beach shows I attended were June 27, 1972 and March 12, 1975.

The 1977 dates were a mess. The original dates that went on sale January 31, 1977 were March 9, 12, 13. A fourth date on March 15 was added later in the day. Then, sometime in February a fifth date of March 16 went on sale. Then, all the dates were rescheduled and moved to June and a sixth and final show for June 27 went on sale in late February or early March.

Therefore, March 9 became June 21, March 12 became June 22, and so and so on.

It actually was a blessing. If the original dates had held, I would only have been able to attend two shows…three at the most…because March was in the middle of the school year and most of the March dates were on weekday school nights. Moving the dates to late-June, when school was already over, allowed me to go to as many as my wallet and body could stand.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Very, very close. The two Long Beach shows I attended were June 27, 1972 and March 12, 1975.

The 1977 dates were a mess. The original dates that went on sale January 31, 1977 were March 9, 12, 13. A fourth date on March 15 was added later in the day. Then, sometime in February a fifth date of March 16 went on sale. Then, all the dates were rescheduled and moved to June and a sixth and final show for June 27 went on sale in late February or early March.

Therefore, March 9 became June 21, March 12 became June 22, and so and so on.

It actually was a blessing. If the original dates had held, I would only have been able to attend two shows…three at the most…because March was in the middle of the school year and most of the March dates were on weekday school nights. Moving the dates to late-June, when school was already over, allowed me to go to as many as my wallet and body could stand.

Was the Led Zeppelin 1972 gig the first show you went too?

On 3/27/2021 at 1:02 PM, LedZep123 said:

I have been to 3 concerts, and I'm going to a festival in December. I went to see Santana & The Doobie Brothers at the Shoreline in California in 2019 (I was 14 years old), Queen (w/Adam Lambert) in Auckland 2020 (still 14 years old) and Crowded House in Auckland 2021 (15 years old, nearly 16)

Favourite one has to be Queen though

Oh whoops, wrong ages. I was 10 when I saw Santana & Doobie Brothers and when I saw Queen and 11 when I saw Crowded House (NEARLY 12)

Think a sibling took to the keyboard while I looked away

6 minutes ago, LedZep123 said:

Was the Led Zeppelin 1972 gig the first show you went too?

It was the first Zeppelin gig. My sixth concert overall.

My concert log for 1972, the year I was finally allowed to go to rock concerts.

1. Friday March 17 1972: Black Sabbath/Yes/Wild Turkey @ Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino.

2. Sunday March 19 1972: King Crimson/Fairport Convention/The Blues Project @ Santa Monica Civic.

3. Friday June 9 1972: Rolling Stones/Stevie Wonder @ Hollywood Palladium.

4. Sunday June 11 1972: Rolling Stones/Stevie Wonder/Martha Reeves & the Vandellas @ L.A. Forum (afternoon show).

5. Saturday June 17 1972: Grateful Dead/New Riders of the Purple Safe @ Hollywood Bowl.

6. Sunday June 25 1972: Led Zeppelin @ L.A. Forum.

7. Tuesday June 27 1972: Led Zeppelin @ Long Beach Arena.

8. Monday July 10 1972: John Mayall/Chico Hamilton @ Whisky a Go-Go.

9. Sunday July 23 1972: Alice Cooper/JoJo Gunne/Captain Beyond @ Hollywood Bowl.

10. Friday July 28 1972: ELP/Wishbone Ash @ Long Beach Arena. 

11. Friday August 4 1972: Yes/Edgar Winter Group/The Eagles @ Long Beach Arena.

12. Sunday August 20 1972: Wattstax @ L.A. Memorial Coliseum

13. Sunday September 3 1972: Stevie Wonder/Little Feat @ Whisky a Go-Go.

14. Friday September 22 1972: Pink Floyd @ Hollywood Bowl.

15. Saturday October 21 1972: David Bowie/Sail Cat @ Santa Monica Civic.

16. Sunday October 22 1972: Elton John @ Anaheim Convention Center.

17. Sunday November 12 1972: Elvis Presley @ Swing Auditorium.

7 minutes ago, Strider said:

1. Friday March 17 1972: Black Sabbath/Yes/Wild Turkey @ Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino.

2. Sunday March 19 1972: King Crimson/Fairport Convention/The Blues Project @ Santa Monica Civic.

4. Sunday June 11 1972: Rolling Stones/Stevie Wonder/Martha Reeves & the Vandellas @ L.A. Forum (afternoon show).

5. Saturday June 17 1972: Grateful Dead/New Riders of the Purple Safe @ Hollywood Bowl.

9. Sunday July 23 1972: Alice Cooper/JoJo Gunne/Captain Beyond @ Hollywood Bowl.

Holy crap, you saw The King in 72'? That must have been one hell of a show. Good for you Strider, looks like you saw some amazing shows.

5 hours ago, badgeholder said:

No way, are you kidding? Before the pandemic you were going to a show almost every day it seemed like. You've seen more shows in the last five years than I've seen in my life probably!

This past year has been torture. Except for the few shows I saw in the beginning of 2020 P.C., it is the first time I had gone a calendar year without going to a gig since 1971. But even before the coronavirus, I felt like I was slowing down. In a good year, I used to see more than 50 concerts easily, often close to 100 a year. The last few years It seems I barely hit 20 to 30 shows a year.

7 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Holy crap, you saw The King in 72'? That must have been one hell of a show. Good for you Strider, looks like you saw some amazing shows.

What's amazing is that I was talked into it. At first, I was noncommittal about wanting to go but my big brother, who took me to most of my concerts from 1972-1974, cajoled me into going, saying this was a chance I couldn't pass up. I'm glad I listened to him. That was the best I saw Elvis...1974 wasn't quite as good.

As for the rest of the year, the only concerts that were kind of disappointing were the King Crimson and Alice Cooper shows. 

Edited by Strider

53 minutes ago, Strider said:

HOW MANY PEOPLE VOTE THAT WE FORCE STRIDER INTO LISTING ALL THE CONCERTS HE'S BEEN TOO!!!!????

11 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

HOW MANY PEOPLE VOTE THAT WE FORCE STRIDER INTO LISTING ALL THE CONCERTS HE'S BEEN TOO!!!!????

and a full, comprehensive review of each one including 6 x 9" glossy photos with notation on the back 😊

11 hours ago, Strider said:

What's amazing is that I was talked into it. At first, I was noncommittal about wanting to go but my big brother, who took me to most of my concerts from 1972-1974, cajoled me into going, saying this was a chance I couldn't pass up. I'm glad I listened to him. That was the best I saw Elvis...1974 wasn't quite as good.

As for the rest of the year, the only concerts that were kind of disappointing were the King Crimson and Alice Cooper shows. 

It would not surprise me if the owners of The Forum made you an honorary contributor for all the time you spent there. I figure more than one band you saw tossed a few groupies at you as well for your support as it appears you helped finance Plumpton Place among other musicians swag.

13 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Ha! Good luck with that….it's impossible. 

It is one thing to remember concerts when you keep a journal and only go to one a month or so. But I have gone to at least 2,000 or more concerts in my life. Those years when I was working for Mario on the Sunset Strip and enduring endless hair-metal bands and then hitting underground after-hour gigs with my friends are mostly a blur. I couldn't begin to detail every frigging night.