Signed Led Zeppelin first album at Amoeba: $2,400

Strider

Popped into Amoeba Music in Hollywood last night and noticed they had a "Led Zeppelin" original vinyl hanging on the wall, signed by all four members: Robert, Jimmy, John and John Paul. The price is $2,400…which works out to $600 a signature. Wonder how long it will be there before someone snaps it up? 

If you are interested, I am sure you can call up the shop or check out their website.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Popped into Amoeba Music in Hollywood last night and noticed they had a "Led Zeppelin" original vinyl hanging on the wall, signed by all four members: Robert, Jimmy, John and John Paul. The price is $2,400…which works out to $600 a signature. Wonder how long it will be there before someone snaps it up? 

If you are interested, I am sure you can call up the shop or check out their website.

Only $2,400? That dude on Pawn Stars had an original vinyl Zep I with three signatures on the back and Jimmy's on the front and an expert appraised that at around 10-12k. The appraiser said if all four were together it would have been worth even more for display purposes.

Am I missing something?

5 hours ago, Strider said:

https://www.amoeba.com/led-zeppelin/artist/143907/stock-hide
it must be gone, unless they don’t list it on their website.

R😎

3 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I figure it would be, at $2,400 that's a steal. I looked it up as well and could not find it as if I had I would have bought it.

8 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Only $2,400? That dude on Pawn Stars had an original vinyl Zep I with three signatures on the back and Jimmy's on the front and an expert appraised that at around 10-12k. The appraiser said if all four were together it would have been worth even more for display purposes.

Am I missing something?

Everything stated by the expert brought in to authenticate and appraise this item is absolutely correct.

1 hour ago, Stryder1978 said:

I would always be leery of autographed albums of 70's bands that are signed in Sharpie.  Sharpies were not that prevalent in the 70's. 

Good point, I would think the signatures would be in ink from a ball-point pen

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I would always be leery of autographed albums of 70's bands that are signed in Sharpie.  Sharpies were not that prevalent in the 70's. 

And did silver Sharpies even exist back then? That looks to be what was used for the JPJ signature.

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

Did not exist back then. Lots of red flags here.

At best it was originally signed by Page and Bonham in the '70s, by Plant and Jones many years later. Having four signatures from different eras in different inks may explain the relatively low price. Even so, I'd pass on it.

4 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Excellent point. 

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

yeah, not sure about this.....

23 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

At best it was originally signed by Page and Bonham in the '70s, by Plant and Jones many years later. Having four signatures from different eras in different inks may explain the relatively low price. Even so, I'd pass on it.

Which probably explains why nobody has snapped it up in the week it has been hanging up there.

Upon further research, SHARPIES were invented in 1964. Black was the only colour until more colours were introduced in 1979. 

I held the album in my hand today and got a good look at the autographs. It looks like Jimmy and Bonham were the first to sign the album, as their signatures appear older and slightly faded. Robert's came next, and John Paul's looks like the most recent signature.

Amoeba bought it from a young guy in his 30s last March...they paid him $500. The guy had bought it from some other place years ago and the certificate of authenticity came with the album when he bought it but no knowledge of how and when each signature was acquired.

• Administrators

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Upon further research, SHARPIES were invented in 1964. Black was the only colour until more colours were introduced in 1979. 

I held the album in my hand today and got a good look at the autographs. It looks like Jimmy and Bonham were the first to sign the album, as their signatures appear older and slightly faded. Robert's came next, and John Paul's looks like the most recent signature.

Amoeba bought it from a young guy in his 30s last March...they paid him $500. The guy had bought it from some other place years ago and the certificate of authenticity came with the album when he bought it but no knowledge of how and when each signature was acquired.

Thanks for checking into this. Just a reminder, a COA is meaningless if it's not from a reputable appraiser and this would be worth a lot more than $2400 if legit.

18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Exactly. Same here.

R😎

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Eddiel said:

If you find out who bought it, give them my condolences for losing $2400. :)

If I'm a betting man, someone bought it for someone else as a gift. Most knowledgeable fans wouldn't touch it. Condolences whatever the case may be.