BEAST - new John Bonham book

1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

Dave grohl = THE MOST OVERATED MUSICIAN TO EVER WALK THE EARTH! 

I won't go so far as to say he is overrated…he is pretty good at the drums. But he is the most over-exposed musician on Earth. I am sick of seeing him in every music documentary and every music awards show or tribute concert…even musicians he has nothing to do with. And he always says the same thing…I loved (fill in the blank) since I was a kid and got a tattoo of (fill in the blank). Enough.

Looks like the author has only written one other rock biography, which was about Warren Zevon. It has good reviews on Amazon, so hopefully this one will turn out well. Has anyone heard if Jason Bonham or anyone else associated with the band was interviewed for the book? The Blabbermouth page doesn't mention anything about who the author talked to.

I hope it has some substance, especially regarding Bonzo's musical interests, and isn't heavily relying on sordid road tales. The title isn't promising in that regard.  Apparently the publisher is calling it the first biography of John Bonham....Hachette books either isn't aware of, or ignored Thunder of Drums. 😒

Edited by porgie66

15 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Dave grohl = THE MOST OVERATED MUSICIAN TO EVER WALK THE EARTH! 

God, this a thousand times. Foo fighters music is so formulaic. I really wanted to like them because I love music docs and half enjoyed Sonic Highways. Then I saw the Queen`s `The show must go on" and saw Taylor Hawkins say that Queen (which I am also a fan of) was a better band than Zep (sacrilege as far as I am concerned) and that they blew Zep out of the water at Live Aid (we know L.A. was terrible but comparing a band that was just reforming for one gig to another band in their prime shows how much Taylor knows).

Dave was probably asked to write the forward.. What was he supposed to do, say no?  Word gets out he refuses to write the forward to a John Bonham Biography would get him much more criticism than he's getting for writing it.. I'm sure Dave was honored to write the forward, so more power to him. 

I'm also a little sick of seeing both Dave and especially Taylor Hawkins everywhere.. But it's a different time.. And it is kind of cool to see 2 very good drummers getting some of the spotlight.

But yeah too much Dave and Taylor.. but again.. Should they say no...?

The only thing that bothers me is so called Neil Peart fanatics like Taylor (and Jack Black) who keep calling him Neil Pert.. How hard is it to pronounce your heroes name correctly...

Also, if you want to title your book with a nickname that everyone associates with John Bonham ... simply call it BONZO..

Almost nobody knows him as The Beast or Beast.. Sensationalist title..

It could be a great read, but that title pretty quickly brings back Hammer Of The Gods flashbacks..  

Edited by the chase

3 hours ago, Brigante said:

Kurt hated Grohl - it must be true cos Courtney said so...😏

I think Grohl a talented musician and he seems a genuinely nice guy, but the fact is Grohl was integral to Nirvana. Kurt was writing neo-punk exclusively before Dave came around to even out the sound with hooks and some semblance of melody. It was Grohl wo essentially made Nirvana commercial (good or bad is for the individual to decide). Grohl was also writing tons of his own music and likely would have left Nirvana in 95' anyway to do his own thing.

I love Tori Amos song Professional Widow which is about Courtney. I mean...ouch!

Edited by BobDobbs

5 hours ago, Brigante said:

Grohl's admitted that he didn't contribute anything to Nirvana's songwriting, Bob. So...nah.

Kinda like how Mick Ronson never contributed anything to Bowie's songs. I never said Grohl was part of the songwriting, rather he took what Kurt brought and smoothed much of it out. Have you heard the shite Nirvana did pre-Grohl joining? It sounds like utter noise, just horrible.

Edited by BobDobbs

Time for a Dave Grohl thread? 

Anyway, I am hopeful that someday Bonzo's family, i.e. Pat, Deb, Jason , will be willing to talk about him. Especially Jason, regarding his dad's gear, even if it's just for a Drum nerd magazine. I know there are people who would love to conduct some interviews, but Jason seems a bit cagey and protective of his dad's legacy, which is understandable. Still I think it would be of immense value to the legions of fans, drummers especially, since Bonzo is arguably the most famous and influential drummer in Rock, (maybe ever).  Like recollections of the music he liked, his influences, his gear, (what happened to all that gear?).  I find it odd that Jason has never played one of his dad's kits publicly (that I know of), or even showcased it in a video... or even just a snare. Fans would go nuts over seeing his kids played by Jason. Maybe he views that as sacrilege. 🤔

Edited by porgie66

On 4/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, Strider said:

I won't go so far as to say he is overrated…he is pretty good at the drums. 

Compared to who? Bill Bruford? Terry Bozzio, Billy Cobham, Pat Mastelotto, Michael Shrieve the list goes on.   I'm sure he's a great guy, I just don't think he's top tier.

4 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Compared to who? Bill Bruford? Terry Bozzio, Billy Cobham, Pat Mastelotto, Michael Shrieve the list goes on.   I'm sure he's a great guy, I just don't think he's top tier.

I am not saying he is the greatest or even in the top 10 or 20. He's no Bonham or Bernard Purdie or Buddy Rich, for sure. But he's a decent rock drummer…he was good enough drumming for Nirvana and Them Crooked Vultures.

"Overrated" implies that he is rated more highly than he is worth. I don't know anyone who rates him that highly. He's a meat-n-potatoes musician in a meat-n-potatoes band and that's how most of the people I know and meet think of him. 

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, Strider said:

I am not saying he is the greatest or even in the top 10 or 20. He's no Bonham or Bernard Purdie or Buddy Rich, for sure. But he's a decent rock drummer…he was good enough drumming for Nirvana and Them Crooked Vultures.

"Overrated" implies that he is rated more highly than he is worth. I don't know anyone who rates him that highly. He's a meat-n-potatoes musician in a meat-n-potatoes band and that's how most of the people I know and meet think of him. 

Pretty spot on, though his drumming for TCV was rather impressive, especially compared to his other stuff.

I've played drums since 1977, but the only time I ever even noticed owt Grohl played was on Killing Joke's Death and Resurrection Show. Nowt else he's done has ever stood out to me.
Anyhow, I will buy this book, obvs, but I'm not really surprised that it's called 'Beast' - publishers bigging up the rock pig hi jinks will get them a few sales over and above the ones to people who want to know how often Bonzo practiced the Purdie shuffle, etc.

Edited by Brigante

Queens Of The Stone Age's - Songs For The Deaf - has some amazing drumming. 

Dave Grohl has a writing credit with Nirvana for Scentless Apprentice - Track 2 on In Utero. He wrote the main riff, which follows the drum pattern exactly. It's one of my favorite Nirvana songs.. 

It's very similar to his playing with QOTSA and TCV. His drumming in Nirvana was direct, simple, powerful, memorable and distinctive ...which was perfect for the band.. I agree with BobDobbs that he made Nirvana more commercial and successful.

Overrated? I wouldn't compare him to Vinny Colaiuta or Gavin Harrison, but he's great drummer in his own right.

Overexposed? Definitely.   

Edited by the chase

Lads, lads, let me get this straight: it wasn't Kurt, it wasn't Kurt's songs, it wasn't Butch's shiny production, it wasn't the big record label and it wasn't the alterna-rock culture change - it was because...they got a new drummer? Hmmm...🤔

2 hours ago, Brigante said:

Lads, lads, let me get this straight: it wasn't Kurt, it wasn't Kurt's songs, it wasn't Butch's shiny production, it wasn't the big record label and it wasn't the alterna-rock culture change - it was because...they got a new drummer? Hmmm...🤔

Yep. Agree w/ you Brigante. Anyone trying to say Nirvana only made it because of Dave is trying to rewrite history. Nirvana was Kurt’s vision with Krist then (much later..., with Dave, as he was their 7th drummer, or so, I believe).  Nirvana was signed to SubPop label, made Bleach.  Got a big deal with Geffen Records (big budget to shoot “Teen Spirit”, was on MTV (TRL), heavy rotation everywhere (radio, tv, etc)). Dave was their best (and last) drummer, so he enjoyed the benefits of success (like Ringo for The Beatles; Pete Best, who???).  Anyway, this thread has shifted away from its original topic (the Bonham book, “Beast”, which I think is a stupid title, with no backing from anyone of note, so I will most likely pass). 

R😎