BEAST - new John Bonham book

13 hours ago, reids said:

Yep. Agree w/ you Brigante. Anyone trying to say Nirvana only made it because of Dave is trying to rewrite history. Nirvana was Kurt’s vision with Krist then (much later..., with Dave, as he was their 7th drummer, or so, I believe).  Nirvana was signed to SubPop label, made Bleach.  Got a big deal with Geffen Records (big budget to shoot “Teen Spirit”, was on MTV (TRL), heavy rotation everywhere (radio, tv, etc)). Dave was their best (and last) drummer, so he enjoyed the benefits of success (like Ringo for The Beatles; Pete Best, who???).  Anyway, this thread has shifted away from its original topic (the Bonham book, “Beast”, which I think is a stupid title, with no backing from anyone of note, so I will most likely pass). 

R😎

I don't think anybody said "only made it because of Dave"  ...  I know I didn't.  His drumming certainly made them more commercial. Right Drummer for the band. 

16 hours ago, Brigante said:

Lads, lads, let me get this straight: it wasn't Kurt, it wasn't Kurt's songs, it wasn't Butch's shiny production, it wasn't the big record label and it wasn't the alterna-rock culture change - it was because...they got a new drummer? Hmmm...🤔

all of the above.. No doubt Kurt Cobain was a genius songwriter. Butch Vig is an excellent Producer. Nirvana were the Alterna-rock culture change. They were the spearhead.. 

And Dave Grohl's drumming added a lot of memorable catchy licks to the songs..  

Edited by the chase

On 4/17/2021 at 9:19 AM, the chase said:

It could be a great read, but that title pretty quickly brings back Hammer Of The Gods flashbacks..

I loved Hammer of the Gods! A friend showed it to me in the library on school vacation. I was about 14 and just got big into Zeppelin. Only had a couple cassettes, so when I was reading the book, I wondered what all these songs sounded like. I hadn't even heard WLL yet. I had Zeppelin 1 and Zeppelin 4 and that's all I had for quite a while. Anyhow, I started reading the book and it drew me in hook, line and sinker. I learned so much about 60s rock and blues music that I otherwise would never have known, and even about Robert Johnson and Paganini (selling their souls etc...). I thoroughly enjoyed it and it helped cement me as a life long Zeppelin fanatic.

Funny thing, I remember reading about Lori Maddox and how she was only 14. I was 14 too and I was thinking, "so what?" Needless to say, I think differently now at 47 than I did at 14! When I got the book, it had only been out a couple years. I think I was reading it in 1988. Years later I read how Jimmy and Robert didn't like the book and said that a lot of it was invented. I don't know. I've seen the both of them say contradictory things in interviews over the years. I bet most of the stuff in HOTG was true but they were embarrassed about it later. Who wants to admit to the Shark Incident when they're 70 years old?

• 1 month later...

Boy, ya'll are a bunch of miserable, whiney ass people.

Almost every comment is a complaint (about Dave Grohl) And the book hasn't even been released yet. It's just a forward people, relax.

Edited by Rock Historian

• 2 weeks later...

How can you title a book about the great John Bonham "BEAST"???   From what I understand, "The Beast" was what others would call Bonzo in a negative, derogatory way...referring to his bad behavior at times.  None of his friends nor family called John Bonham "Beast."  Why the f*ck would a John Bonham biographer call his book that??

On 6/4/2021 at 11:47 AM, Rock Historian said:

Boy, ya'll are a bunch of miserable, whiney ass people.

Almost every comment is a complaint (about Dave Grohl) And the book hasn't even been released yet. It's just a forward people, relax.

:goodpost:

• 6 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 4:00 PM, porgie66 said:

Time for a Dave Grohl thread? 

Anyway, I am hopeful that someday Bonzo's family, i.e. Pat, Deb, Jason , will be willing to talk about him. Especially Jason, regarding his dad's gear, even if it's just for a Drum nerd magazine. I know there are people who would love to conduct some interviews, but Jason seems a bit cagey and protective of his dad's legacy, which is understandable. Still I think it would be of immense value to the legions of fans, drummers especially, since Bonzo is arguably the most famous and influential drummer in Rock, (maybe ever).  Like recollections of the music he liked, his influences, his gear, (what happened to all that gear?).  I find it odd that Jason has never played one of his dad's kits publicly (that I know of), or even showcased it in a video... or even just a snare. Fans would go nuts over seeing his kids played by Jason. Maybe he views that as sacrilege. 🤔

Apparently his green sparkle Ludwig kit (one of them) is owned by both Pat Bonham &Jimmy Page,

Plant apparently cowbw his green sparkle Slingerland kit,

Pat&Zoe own his cymbals.

I've at last finally ended/finished reading "The Beast".IMHO/IMHO (honest&humble opinion) waste of $

Just rehashed stories covered by both Chris Welch&Mick Bonham .In both of these aforementioned books NO WHERE was it EVER commented mentioned Bonzo was a drug addict (cocaine) . There's alot of of lies misconception misinformation,

Untruths in that book, 📚

Only good for wiping your arse if you run out of bog borrie crapper jobbie log plop plops 📜....... sigh 😥😔.

On 4/17/2021 at 4:54 PM, porgie66 said:

I hope it has some substance, especially regarding Bonzo's musical interests, and isn't heavily relying on sordid road tales. The title isn't promising in that regard.  Apparently the publisher is calling it the first biography of John Bonham....Hachette books either isn't aware of, or ignored Thunder of Drums. 😒

Sadly after reading it it doesn't .....

On 6/15/2021 at 3:03 PM, Drum Boogie said:

How can you title a book about the great John Bonham "BEAST"???   From what I understand, "The Beast" was what others would call Bonzo in a negative, derogatory way...referring to his bad behavior at times.  None of his friends nor family called John Bonham "Beast."  Why the f*ck would a John Bonham biographer call his book that??

Exactly, tasteless disrespectful shite title.