Jump to content

The Best No Quarters Live! am i weird......


donb8
 Share

Recommended Posts

FIRSTLY. AM SORRY ABOUT MY GRAMMER AND SPELLING. ENGLISH ISNT MY FIRST LANGUAGE.

Whenever i read posts about no quarter live, here and all over the internet.There seems to be a lot of praise for the 1975 versions, but to my ears and my personal inner led zeppelin core(lol)..... they are bad. I find them to be overlong and boring (not a good combination). Jimmys solo's seem to fail 90% of the time. john paul jones is as usual professional and competent but i just dont FEEEL it this year(the led zeppelin insyncness in no quarter and in general isn't there)- MAYBE ITS THE UGLY SOUNDBOARDS BLASTING OUT ROBERTS BROKEN GLASS VOICE.... I DONT KNOW.


In 1977, the opposite happens, John Paul Jones piano perfomances seem to work and Jimmys endless soloing is put on the back burner. Roberts improved voice is a boon and the band just gels with this NEW rendition of No quarter. Bonham is the literal "dogs of doom" this year(FOREBODING?). 
However, to me No quarter worked best in 1973. Jimmy solos are the works of a literal master of the guitar. There are moments where i wonder whether HE IS Playing for the devil.   :)  Jonesys piano purrs a vision  of a hellscape and of course Bonham perfectly brings it all together. but most importantly, Roberts rough voice doesnt distract from the music most of the time, which it does in 1975.


Finally, my top 5 versions of the year, 🙂


1- 28TH JULY AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the best. JIMMMMY!!!  HE evokes Zdzisław Beksiński's paintings in my opinion, as do the next two.


2-29TH  JULY AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN. In my opinion, this is another masterpiece second only to the previous one. JIMMY.......i have no words. Is he trying to impress the former Choir master of heaven....  ;D John  Paul jones' bass literally opens the gates of hell.


3-13TH JULY AT COBO HALL, DETROIT. This came out recently and it is amazing. I love the feel of it here. Jimmy and john paul paul jones are on fire.(JPJ has a little bass solo that is soul shaking lol.)


4- 19TH MAY FORTWORTH TEXAS . I really enjoy this interpretation. This is what happens when jimmy does jazz experimentation right! A great version.


5-26th may salt lake city/13th may  mobile -  A tie! Both are really great, but i really love the short solo at the mobile show


Honourable Mentions!


15th july buffalo/ 18th july vancouver/10th july milwaukee


NOTE- We get a hint of the solo from the 27th msg show with its syncopated jazzy end in the song remains the same soundtrack. since its tiny i cant place it on my list,but oh boy its groovy and deserves a mention. I can only imagine what the full solo sounds like!
What do you guys think?


BTW AM a 26 year old fan..... so please be kind....lol.
 

Edited by donb8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The feature of the '75 versions that make them worthwhile is the 3-man improvisation that follows JPJ's solo. The musicianship and synchronicity are out of this world. Take another listen to 18 May, Earls Court. Top notch!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Zep Hed said:

The feature of the '75 versions that make them worthwhile is the 3-man improvisation that follows JPJ's solo. The musicianship and synchronicity are out of this world. Take another listen to 18 May, Earls Court. Top notch!

ill' give it a serious try. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The '73 tour has some very nice versions (Vancouver), but to my ears, the shorter compact renditions usually stuck to the same pattern or vibe; whereas on the '75 tour (particularly February and onwards) the jams got bigger, obviously & more creative. There's not one NQ from that period, where I would say the piano jams sounded similar to another night.

The '77 tour is also high on my list for NQ & how they stretched out the improvisational jams into 2 sections, even if the 2nd section before the outro had a similar vibe or pattern to it. The 4/28/77 performance is high on my favorites because they seem to encapsulate every kind of mood on that jam--The Nutrocker, a little bit of what I would call "bar room blues" and the standard jam before the end...

 

Edited by paul carruthers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

The '73 tour has some very nice versions (Vancouver), but to my ears, the shorter compact renditions usually stuck to the same pattern or vibe; whereas on the '75 tour (particularly February and onwards) the jams got bigger, obviously & more creative. There's not one NQ from that period, where I would say the piano jams sounded similar to another night.

The '77 tour is also high on my list for NQ & how they stretched out the improvisational jams into 2 sections, even if the 2nd section before the outro had a similar vibe or pattern to it. The 4/28/77 performance is high on my favorites because they seem to encapsulate every kind of mood on that jam--The Nutrocker, a little bit of what I would call "bar room blues" and the standard jam before the end...

 

Cool perspective!

ive never really listened to the 1977 versions...... beyond the listen to this eddie version...... so i guess i have work to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

The feature of the '75 versions that make them worthwhile is the 3-man improvisation that follows JPJ's solo. The musicianship and synchronicity are out of this world. Take another listen to 18 May, Earls Court. Top notch!

The West Coast March '75 "No Quarters" where Jones and Bonham send the jam off in a jazz direction are the best for '75 IMO, especially March 19 and 25th.

6 hours ago, donb8 said:

Cool perspective!

ive never really listened to the 1977 versions...... beyond the listen to this eddie version...... so i guess i have work to do.

You have to hear the 6/11/77 "No Quarter", absolutely killer version. There is NO bad version of "No Quarter".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...