Which is the best Zeppelin book?

charlton

Since the 02 gig, I have gotten back into Zeppelin not that I ever really left <_< ). In high school, I had every album, a lot of boots on cassette, some VHS of Denmark 69 and Knebworth, and a few books. The books I read where Hammer of the Gods, Stairway to Heaven, and my favorite was a book by Neal Preston titled "Led Zeppelin, Heaven and Hell". This was an excellent book with great pictures and great info. Oh, I also had a book by Luis Rey (spelling?) called Led Zeppelin Live, which had just about every Zep show's set list and reviews of available boots.

What is the best picture/text book of quality about Zep, since my books from high school are long gone.

"Led Zeppelin: 1968-1980" Keith Shadwick

I agree. Shadwick has his own opinions, but he's always interesting and very informed.

Heaven and Hell is a nice book to have though, and includes a complete reprinted wonderful three-part interview with Jimmy from 1977 (Trouser Press).

Since the 02 gig, I have gotten back into Zeppelin not that I ever really left <_< ). In high school, I had every album, a lot of boots on cassette, some VHS of Denmark 69 and Knebworth, and a few books. The books I read where Hammer of the Gods, Stairway to Heaven, and my favorite was a book by Neal Preston titled "Led Zeppelin, Heaven and Hell". This was an excellent book with great pictures and great info. Oh, I also had a book by Luis Rey (spelling?) called Led Zeppelin Live, which had just about every Zep show's set list and reviews of available boots.

What is the best picture/text book of quality about Zep, since my books from high school are long gone.

Charlton, I also recommend the Shadwick book - both for the writing, content, and photos. It's an attractive book too. Another book that I have from back in the day, that has been revised at least once, maybe twice, is the Ritchie Yorke Biography of Led Zeppelin. I think that you will like that one too. When it comes to quality books about Zep, there really isn't too much available.

Well this is Zep related I would go and get Peter grant The man Who led Zeppelin !! a fascinating read !! and there are lots of good books by Dave lewis, The number one authority on all things Zep I would say !!!

Just to be different, I won't say the Shadwick book. I only read a chapter but I found it pretentious & opinionated.

What I'd recomend instead is this:

Place to start - Rough Guide to Led Zeppelin.

Yup - the RG came out last year & while it isn't perfect, it's comprehensive. It isn't a "sex & drug rumours" crap-ola like Stairway to Heaven, & it isn't afraid to criticise the band if it seems appropriate.

After that, you can never go wrong with Dave Lewis' books. Best of the lot is The Concert File, but A Celebration, Celebration II, or Led Zeppelin - Talking are all good too.

The Louis Rey book that you used to have is very rare now - but if you see a copy grab it.

I just bought Jimmy Page, Magus, musician. man by George Case.

Another excellent, detailed book. Although (obviously) more Jimmy-centric than some of the other LZ books. It does take an unflinching look at his history of substance abuse, though... in a non-judgemental way (if that's possible).

• 2 weeks later...

I still think Shadwick's book is the best, but I'd like to add a few thoughts.

George Case's Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man is well worth reading, especially interesting in the Post-Zep chapters; and as Dave Lewis points out in a review in the new issue of Tight But Loose (no. 19), Case also manages to compile pretty well the available info on Jimmy's early years. The book is a rather well designed hardback too.

Also agree that Dave Lewis's many books are really useful - the Concert File is a must have. And Ritchie Yorke's book, already mentioned, is quite good as well.

Charles R. Cross/Erik Flannigan: Led Zeppelin: Heaven and Hell, featuring lots of Preston's photos, is out of print, unfortunately, but worth getting used. One of my fave Zep books.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived