If you were to go to any concert (or revisit a concert you've all ready been to) WHAT WOULD IT BE??

I do a lot of topics on concerts (as you may have seen), but considering we are at a point where we can't really go to concert, I think it's good to revisit them. These don't necessarily need to be one concert, it could be a whole concert tour, and yes it still can be Led Zeppelin. 

For me, I would probably choose Live Aid - probably London, cause there were some better acts there then there were at Philadelphia (Queen, Dire Straits, David Bowie etc. etc.)

How about yours?

I did not see Zeppelin until 1977.  I would really like to have seen one of the early shows when they were just breaking out.  A small venue with a responsive audience.  The underground scene.  So given that I would say Boston Tea Party in May 1969.  They were really gelling as a live unit after a lot of touring, and their reputation was just starting to grow.

There are so many potentially, but for me I'd have to say my first choice would be the Inglewood show on June 3, 1973. It's probably the best U.S. performance of 1973 - the energy they display is just relentless - and personally I would argue that it even equals the legendary late-March European shows. Page, Bonham, and Jones were perhaps at their all-time pinnacle as a collective instrumental unit during those March shows, but IMHO on June 3 they are within the margin of error of being just as good - and Plant's voice is in better shape at that June show than it was for most of the March run.

Also, that June 3 show only circulates as an audience source with major, unrepairable tape problems that make several of the tracks unlistenable. And that's a factor for me - other amazing shows have better recordings so we can at least listen to those all the way through.

So if a fantastic-quality soundboard or a major audience-tape upgrade surfaces for June 3, then that factor will become moot, and my answer to this question might change to something like March 24 '73 Offenburg, Sep 29 '71 Osaka, or Sep 19 '70 Madison Square Garden (evening show).

But as long as June 3 '73 doesn't have a better quality, more complete source for us to listen to, that's the one for me.

Edited by tmtomh

In chronological order, here are my Top 5:

1. Benny Goodman @ Carnegie Hall January 16, 1938

2. 1958 Newport Jazz Festival (Anita O'Day, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Dinah Washington, Chuck Berry, Chico Hamilton, Dave Brubeck, Mahalia Jackson, Thelonious Monk, George Shearing, and plenty more)

3. Judy Garland @ Carnegie Hall April 23, 1961

4. Bob Dylan @ Manchester May 17, 1966 (so I could tell that "Judas!" creep to shut up)

5. Led Zeppelin @ (a three-way-tie between) Fillmore West April 27, 1969, Madison Square Garden September 19, 1970 evening show, and Copenhagen May 3, 1971

Like a couple of the other posters here, I would also like to see a Led Zeppelin show from early in their career.

If I'm choosing an artist I never got to see at all, then the top two are The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. Even though The Beatles were drowned out by the audience noise, just the experience of seeing them in person would be tremendous. In other words, if the choices were: (1) never got to see The Beatles or (2) saw The Beatles but the sound sucked, I would still go with (2).

With Jimi Hendrix, seeing the original Experience would be my first choice but I would be ecstatic to see him any night with any of his bands.

I've seen a lot of concerts but there are so many more I wish I had seen.  If I had a TARDIS that was restricted to transporting me to concerts I would be happy. No paradoxes, no disrupting of the space-time continuum, just seeing lots of concerts.

For me it would be:

Deep Purple 1972. If they played Made in Japan (plus the extra tracks) at The Free Trade Hall it would be the ultimate show

A Zeppelin show: eeemmmm maybe a Back to the Clubs show from 1971. Leicester is a killer except for Plant's flu.

To revisit:

Rush June 2nd 1977 Manchester Free Trade Hall. Second show outside of North America. I was only 15 but from what I remember it was a killer show

Tangerine Dream: November 5th 1976. My second or third ever gig. Never seen or heard anything like it and Edgar Frose let rip an amazing guitar solo.

The Stone Roses: Spike Island, Widnes. Summer 1990. Dance/Rock. Drugs. What a day !

Nostalgia:

Woodstock 1969

Any of the Windsor Free Festivals of the 70's

Wish I'd Been There:

Zep: 1/9/1970 - Smoking show and I'd be able to relive it on DVD, too.

Reading Festival 1980: Rory Gallagher, Di'Anno-era Maiden and a bunch of other NWOBHM bands.

Relive:

Page and Plant, Boston 7/13/98 - Best concert I've ever been to. 

Just now, LedZep123 said:

Nice! Really cool concerts. 

I am surprised that nobody said that they would've liked to gone to a show on September 7th 1968..... seriously, I wish there was a bootleg. 

Actually, what is the earliest bootleg of an LZ concert?

• 7 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 8:40 AM, tmtomh said:

There are so many potentially, but for me I'd have to say my first choice would be the Inglewood show on June 3, 1973. It's probably the best U.S. performance of 1973 - the energy they display is just relentless - and personally I would argue that it even equals the legendary late-March European shows. Page, Bonham, and Jones were perhaps at their all-time pinnacle as a collective instrumental unit during those March shows, but IMHO on June 3 they are within the margin of error of being just as good - and Plant's voice is in better shape at that June show than it was for most of the March run.

Also, that June 3 show only circulates as an audience source with major, unrepairable tape problems that make several of the tracks unlistenable. And that's a factor for me - other amazing shows have better recordings so we can at least listen to those all the way through.

So if a fantastic-quality soundboard or a major audience-tape upgrade surfaces for June 3, then that factor will become moot, and my answer to this question might change to something like March 24 '73 Offenburg, Sep 29 '71 Osaka, or Sep 19 '70 Madison Square Garden (evening show).

But as long as June 3 '73 doesn't have a better quality, more complete source for us to listen to, that's the one for me.

6-3-73 would be my choice as well, for all the reasons you mention. My second pick would be Leicester 71. The 71 UK Fall tour might be my fav for them, and it would be awesome to see them in such a small venue at the height of their powers. The atmosphere from the boot sounds amazing .. sounds like a polite, well-behaved crowd that at the same time were very appreciative. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the "best" show of 71, but it does have a quality to it. Plus, most of the songs they played that night are among my fav versions. 😃