Apple+ “1971”

Not a mention of Zep in the entire series. Every other major artist of the period gets a nice segment or at least a mention. More time is spent on Lennon and The Stones than others (typical), but how do you ignore IV coming out that same year? 

50 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

It's unwatchable, agenda-driven garbage.

Really, no love for 71 then, probably the best year of the decade musically. Now we need a review of 1969, the best year musically of that decade. Anyway, I just downloaded the whole 1971 series, tonight's viewing for me.

I thought it was excellent. Despite the choices to focus on a select few artists and neglect Zeppelin. It doesn’t whitewash or rewrite history. The music and movements of 71 were a major tipping point in defining the culture. Great series. The Attica Massacre stuff was insane. The Sly Stone behind the scenes stuff was fascinating. James Brown was bringing the funk all over the globe. I could deal with less Carol King and Elton, but realize they were major voices that year. I highly recommend it. I wonder if Zeppelin refused access to footage because of the upcoming documentary? It’s just so odd that EVERY other band gets a mention or entire segment. Most of the artist interviews are voice only over the archival footage, so they clear created some of this during the pandemic, but you don’t notice because the footage is so good.

Edited by Eyekhan

It's absolutely fantastic! I'm half-way through now and my GF just asked if I thought they'd cover Zeppelin. I'm hopeful the reason is because of the upcoming doc. There are several things I'm really enjoying 1) the 16MM film footage is absolutely beautiful and 2) they really paid attention to the music. The version of Changes by Bowie is worth it alone. Recommend!

7 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

It's absolutely fantastic! I'm half-way through now and my GF just asked if I thought they'd cover Zeppelin. I'm hopeful the reason is because of the upcoming doc. There are several things I'm really enjoying 1) the 16MM film footage is absolutely beautiful and 2) they really paid attention to the music. The version of Changes by Bowie is worth it alone. Recommend!

Fantastic? An 8-part series on music in 1971 has ZERO mention of Led Zeppelin and many other bands.  Apparently Sly and the Family Stone is the most important band of 1971, lol.

Many of the clips are literally taken from YouTube and in crappy quality. The theory of Zep not being included because of their documentary is nonsense.

5 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Fantastic? An 8-part series on music in 1971 has ZERO mention of Led Zeppelin and many other bands.  Apparently Sly and the Family Stone is the most important band of 1971, lol.

Many of the clips are literally taken from YouTube and in crappy quality. The theory of Zep not being included because of their documentary is nonsense.

There could be several reasons and most of them on Zep's side of the equation. The Boy's just don't grant licensing for any project which comes along. Think about how long and how many times Zep's music has been allowed to be used in movies, only a handful. I think the reason is the documentary, as the way they seem to look at such thing is, this is their story and theirs alone to tell.

Who knows, I am more concerned about an official live release than anything else from the band. C'mon damn it, where is 9-29-71? Where is a best of Earls Court???

Edited by BobDobbs

Several reasons explain why Led Zeppelin probably wasn't included in the documentary.

Zep didn't seek out the press, nor performed on talk shows (hence, lack of live video footage), nor granted interviews for anyone who asked. They weren't mainstream. You wouldn't see Robert Plant or Jimmy Page being interviewed on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

At the time, most of the Zep fanatics were mainly (but not all) teenage boys. Not too many 20-something women fans of Led Zep back in the day.

Besides the fourth album being released near the end of the year (Nov. '71), Zeppelin didn't get played much on those American airwaves on radio stations we'd now call adult-oriented rock (AOR) stations. Artists like Carole King, Elton John and even Sly Stone, etc., got much more airplay on those stations.

The only song that would have gotten the most play would have been Black Dog.

And I'd argue that it took a several months for Stairway To Heaven to catch on with the overall public.

Edited by dpat

12 hours ago, dpat said:

Several reasons explain why Led Zeppelin probably wasn't included in the documentary.

Zep didn't seek out the press, nor performed on talk shows (hence, lack of live video footage), nor granted interviews for anyone who asked. They weren't mainstream. You wouldn't see Robert Plant or Jimmy Page being interviewed on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

At the time, most of the Zep fanatics were mainly (but not all) teenage boys. Not too many 20-something women fans of Led Zep back in the day.

Besides the fourth album being released near the end of the year (Nov. '71), Zeppelin didn't get played much on those American airwaves on radio stations we'd now call adult-oriented rock (AOR) stations. Artists like Carole King, Elton John and even Sly Stone, etc., got much more airplay on those stations.

The only song that would have gotten the most play would have been Black Dog.

And I'd argue that it took a several months for Stairway To Heaven to catch on with the overall public.

On Stairway, it was ages before I heard the whole song, as soon as that recorder came in the stylus was off the record. 

On 5/26/2021 at 2:53 AM, zeplz71 said:

Sly was incredibly important. They were one of the first crossover funk/rock bands around. Their live performances were legendary. I have no qualms with their inclusion. Sly's story is pretty important regarding the dangers of fame/over-indulgence. If anything, their story hasn't been told enough. Same goes for Ike & Tina and even James Brown.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:14 AM, JTM said:

On Stairway, it was ages before I heard the whole song, as soon as that recorder came in the stylus was off the record. 

I find this way of thinking strange. So did you do the same with "Ruby Tuesday", "Fool on the Hill", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Hocus Pocus", "Living in the Past"?

On 6/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, Eyekhan said:

Sly was incredibly important. They were one of the first crossover funk/rock bands around. Their live performances were legendary. I have no qualms with their inclusion. Sly's story is pretty important regarding the dangers of fame/over-indulgence. If anything, their story hasn't been told enough. Same goes for Ike & Tina and even James Brown.

This. There is no Prince without Sly. His band was multi-racial and multi-gender and ahead of its time. It is a shame Sly was such a cokehead he couldn't keep it together into the 1970s. 

I think it is silly to do a music documentary on the year 1971 and not include Led Zeppelin. But I am not going to blame or smear Sly Stone's inclusion in response.

Edited by Strider

11 hours ago, Strider said:

I find this way of thinking strange. So did you do the same with "Ruby Tuesday", "Fool on the Hill", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Hocus Pocus", "Living in the Past"?

No because I only heard those songs on the radio or TV (except Focus). It wasn't my Fourth Album the stylus was lifted from it was a friend I practiced guitar with, he had just borrowed IV from his cousin, it may have been the first time he played it, no idea, it was a long time ago. I was at another friends months later when I heard the full STH. I didn't have my own copy until about late 73 early 74.  As to why my mate Pete lifted the "needle", maybe because STH intro had no woomph, don't know.

Hi All,

I am just learning about this series here,  Over the weekend, Parade magazine had a headline story - Songs of '71.  No mention of Led Zeppelin and Stairway to Heaven.  Seriously?  This series sounds like the AM radio version of the world and missing the entire plot of what was going on for real, under the hood.  It's the same reason Rush was marginalized for almost 40 years and ignored by Rolling Stone and the rest.  

Did they mention Jethro Tull and Agualung?  Another key album of that time.  

• 4 months later...

Yep complete BS that Zeppelin wasnt even mentioned, but thats the usual snobbery of Rolling Stone Magazine.  Many older boomers hated Zep, even though it was most popular group of the decade, esp 1971.  But hey they mentioned The Osmonds!

Series was good in spots, but some unforgivable omissions