What killed the dinosaurs? Do you believe it was Chicxulub asteroid?

LedZeppfan1977

Around 66 Million years ago many scientists believe an asteroid about 6 miles long at minimum, and traveling about 40 times the speed of sound, struck the present day Yukitan peninsula with the center of the strike likely in the water, in the SW Gulf of Mexico, causing the extinction of about 75 % of life on Earth at the time and ending the long reign of the dinosaurs.  There is a YouTube video called "What did the Dinosaurs see before the Chicxulub impact".  Its pretty good.  Shows the sky lighting up as the comet approach's and a good dramatization. There are many who dispute this however. I am on the fence.  Some arguments include the presence of iridium and that it could be there for other reasons and the lack of large quantities of shocked quartz.  Yes it gets into geology and other scientific areas pretty heavy.  Just wondering if there are any opinions?  This would be an event as great as the flood in Genesis.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

This is a fascinating question, although I have no position on it.  What's just as interesting are the politics surrounding competing explanations, like Keller's volcanic theory:

What Caused the Dinosaur Extinction? - The Atlantic

This should be a cautionary tale to all the ignoramuses and poseurs who claim to "follow the science," that there is such a thing as a scientific establishment that shields its orthodoxy from open (empirical) debate with a jealousy and pettiness that is unsurpassed.   

All nonsense, all bullshit. An asteroid did not kill the dinosaurs, Cthullu did. He was jealous and just kinda went off one day and, no more dinosaurs. Once he saw what he had done he was a saaaaad Cthullu and self-banished himself to the 11th dimension, or a combo Lament Configuration meets the Phantom Zone, where he resides to this day in everlasting torment as a result of shanking Barney.

Edited by BobDobbs

On 5/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Around 66 Million years ago many scientists believe an asteroid about 6 miles long at minimum, and traveling about 40 times the speed of sound, struck the present day Yukitan peninsula with the center of the strike likely in the water, in the SW Gulf of Mexico, causing the extinction of about 75 % of life on Earth at the time and ending the long reign of the dinosaurs.  There is a YouTube video called "What did the Dinosaurs see before the Chicxulub impact".  Its pretty good.  Shows the sky lighting up as the comet approach's and a good dramatization. There are many who dispute this however. I am on the fence.  Some arguments include the presence of iridium and that it could be there for other reasons and the lack of large quantities of shocked quartz.  Yes it gets into geology and other scientific areas pretty heavy.  Just wondering if there are any opinions?  This would be an event as great as the flood in Genesis.  

On 5/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

This is a fascinating question, although I have no position on it.  What's just as interesting are the politics surrounding competing explanations, like Keller's volcanic theory:

What Caused the Dinosaur Extinction? - The Atlantic

This should be a cautionary tale to all the ignoramuses and poseurs who claim to "follow the science," that there is such a thing as a scientific establishment that shields its orthodoxy from open (empirical) debate with a jealousy and pettiness that is unsurpassed.   

Good to see someone here took this seriously.  To the above poster, its Chix a lube, pronounced.   Named after the small Mexican town that is right in the middle of it all.  As for your link, the volcano theory has merit. But to think one volcano did them all in is ridiculous as there are something called OCEANS in between continents, and even when Pangea existed.   I think there is much merit to the Chicxulub theory, one that has the same acceptance now as evolution and other things that I do not totally buy into.  I am not a Darwin believer.  Sorry.  But the Asteroid makes more sense than any other theory. It blocked out the sun for a long period of time, diminished the oxygen supply and created tidal waves the likes we have never witnessed.  But they did not say it wiped out all life  It says about 67-75%.  That is major damage. But what survived?  They believe some reptiles, and the smaller the animal the better the chance of the surviving this horrible event.  Even small mammals.  But for those that do not understand the 3 major periods of life on Earth, for one, the asteroid hit at the end of the Cretaceous .  And humans did not walk the Earth when dinosaurs did.  The Chicxulub theory is now the most accepted.  There are indeed holes in it.  The crater is visible with the right equipment and of course its below the Gulf of Mexico.  Its not the type of crater you would expect, but the impact did occur on water. I would ask why there is still land at that area of the Yukitan peninsula?  If I could get my hands on one of these big shot scientists like Neil Degrasse

I think some of the discrepancies in the meteor theory are the result of the various ways an asteroid/meteor can explode or disintegrate when entering Earth's atmosphere.  Besides the factor of what it's made of, scientists have done some recent research to explain why we don't see recent evidence of large tsunamis caused by asteroids/meteors landing in the ocean.  A new theory suggests that most explode above the surface.  That results in most of the energy causing the ocean water to explode/vaporize into the atmosphere much like the atomic ocean tests., as opposed to lateral motion in wave form.  One guy is even using this theory to explain the 40 days & nights of rain from Noah's biblical story.  Big picture wise, I'm not sure it would matter what percentage of rock & water was put up in the atmosphere.  An object that big is gonna cause a life-threatening disruption to the planet.

After extensively touring the American West, it's really kind of mind-blowing to see the extent of past lava flows in States like Idaho, Washington, and New Mexico.  Even more numbing when they tell you some of that activity happened less than 8 - 10,000 years ago.  Considering the scope and timeline of the flows they claim occurred in Siberia, and considering the disruptions we've seen in our lifetime from minor volcanic events, I'd have to give that angle credibility.

Almost 50% of Americans believe the dinosaurs died out because Noah couldn't fit them on the ark.  They lined up in Williamstown, Kentucky all weekend just to solidify that belief.  It's only $49.95, but that does not include parking.

According to television documentaries relate to this subject, we are not allowed to proceed further without a picture of Arizona's meteor crater.  This was decided by the same folks that won't let us discuss or see any nature documentaries that don't include penguins and tortoises.      

meteor.jpg

13 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Good to see someone here took this seriously.  To the above poster, its Chix a lube, pronounced.   Named after the small Mexican town that is right in the middle of it all.  As for your link, the volcano theory has merit. But to think one volcano did them all in is ridiculous as there are something called OCEANS in between continents, and even when Pangea existed.   I think there is much merit to the Chicxulub theory, one that has the same acceptance now as evolution and other things that I do not totally buy into.  I am not a Darwin believer.  Sorry.  But the Asteroid makes more sense than any other theory. It blocked out the sun for a long period of time, diminished the oxygen supply and created tidal waves the likes we have never witnessed.  But they did not say it wiped out all life  It says about 67-75%.  That is major damage. But what survived?  They believe some reptiles, and the smaller the animal the better the chance of the surviving this horrible event.  Even small mammals.  But for those that do not understand the 3 major periods of life on Earth, for one, the asteroid hit at the end of the Cretaceous .  And humans did not walk the Earth when dinosaurs did.  The Chicxulub theory is now the most accepted.  There are indeed holes in it.  The crater is visible with the right equipment and of course its below the Gulf of Mexico.  Its not the type of crater you would expect, but the impact did occur on water. I would ask why there is still land at that area of the Yukitan peninsula?  If I could get my hands on one of these big shot scientists like Neil Degrasse

Sure, but Keller's claim is not that an asteroid impact didn't happen or couldn't have caused a mass extinction, but that the Chicxulub impact predated the extinction of the dinosaurs by 300K years.  Maybe she's wrong, I don't know, but I do know that the whole "case-closed" reaction to her work by the scientific establishment (and their media mouthpieces) gives lie to this idea that we should unquestionably "follow the science".  

On 5/31/2021 at 10:13 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Sure, but Keller's claim is not that an asteroid impact didn't happen or couldn't have caused a mass extinction, but that the Chicxulub impact predated the extinction of the dinosaurs by 300K years.  Maybe she's wrong, I don't know, but I do know that the whole "case-closed" reaction to her work by the scientific establishment (and their media mouthpieces) gives lie to this idea that we should unquestionably "follow the science".  

There are holes that can be shot into all of these theories.  None are flawless and we certainly do not have all the answers.  The Darwin thinkers are so arrogant in their theories its pathetic.  I do believe Chicxalub occured for sure.  But the amount of the devastation globally is questionable.  The worst effect for those living things not in the immediate vicinity of the strike would be the blocking of the sun and the heat created and then perhaps a period of cold they could not have survived.  Cold would have killed them also.  They do have a very good geological answer to this impact however.  The line in the Earth that is found all around the globe. They say no dinosaur fossils have ever been found above this line after the impact.  I forget the exact name?  Perhaps the KT line? Its a gray line in the Earth's layers that can be found, "like pages in a book: some geologists have said, notably Walter Alverez