Jump to content

Soundboards - When will you be satisfied?


Xolo1974
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some people like’em....some people hate’em. Me - I like them, except for ‘77. The Millard recordings are just unbeatable. 
 

We’re all huge fans/collectors/obsessives. Is there a point at which we’ll feel satisfied with what we have, or will we keep wanting more? I kid myself, and think that I’ll be happy when and if the following come out (in no particular order);

1. Blueberry Hill. 
2. Rest of 29/9/71. 
3. 1970 - New York second show; and:

4. 24/7/79 Copenhagen. 
 

What are yours? 
 

Cheers 

 

 


 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

'77 La Forum run so some magical remaster/matrix can be produced with Mike Millards legendary tapes - adding some lovely detail to the otherwise stellar AUD recordings.

With tech advancements, LA '77 SB's + Mike the Mike's tapes could be made into an official release that would be insane (and would sound nothing short of official quality).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess a complete 929 SB (any Japan 71 SB) to the 50th anniversary this September would make a lot of us very happy. I am quite optimistic about it.

Furthermore, I would welcome any SB from 70 to 71 with a soundquality similar to the 929 SB. (e.g. the horrible sound of the Hampton 71 SB makes me SICK!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2021 at 8:30 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Some people like’em....some people hate’em. Me - I like them, except for ‘77. The Millard recordings are just unbeatable. 
 

We’re all huge fans/collectors/obsessives. Is there a point at which we’ll feel satisfied with what we have, or will we keep wanting more? I kid myself, and think that I’ll be happy when and if the following come out (in no particular order);

1. Blueberry Hill. 
2. Rest of 29/9/71. 
3. 1970 - New York second show; and:

4. 24/7/79 Copenhagen. 
 

What are yours? 
 

Cheers 

Blueberry Hill wouldn't be near the top of my list, simply because the sound quality we have is pretty great. I would rather get one of the missing shows like Seattle or the Honolulu evening show than Blueberry Hill for sure. The 9/19/70 evening show is probably the best show of their career, so of course it would be extremely high on my list, but I'm not sure how hopeful we should be that many/any 1970 soundboards exist.  

Would love the rest of 9/29 -- and 9/28 -- or anything else from Japan '71...or any of the missing clubs shows...or anything from '71, probably their best year.

Copenhagen '79 would not be high on my list at all -- both audience recordings are pretty darn good and I think both shows are overrated.

As @JohnOsbourne says, 3/12/75 Long Beach is high on my list, as are the remaining missing '75 shows -- particularly 1/11 Rotterdam. A Providence (or Baltimore) '73 SBD would be high on my list as well, as would 6/22/77 or 6/26/77.

Excluding shows with no recording as of yet, which are obviously desirable no matter what year they're from IMO, I think the ultimate soundboard holy grail is 6/19/72 Seattle. To me, it has the largest disparity between sound and performance quality -- it's arguably second only to 9/19/70 E as far as their greatest shows, and its sound quality is pretty poor. You can get through it with seasoned bootleg ears for sure, but it's the show in most dire need of an upgrade IMO, not to mention the cuts -- particularly during the longest string of encores they ever did.

As far as your original question though, with the number of "holy grails" still out there and the speed at which they seem to be released, I doubt we will ever be satisfied.

Edited by Bonzo_fan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Blueberry Hill wouldn't be near the top of my list, simply because the sound quality we have is pretty great. I would rather get one of the missing shows like Seattle or the Honolulu evening show than Blueberry Hill for sure. The 9/19/70 evening show is probably the best show of their career, so of course it would be extremely high on my list, but I'm not sure how hopeful we should be that many/any 1970 soundboards exist.  

Would love the rest of 9/29 -- and 9/28 -- or anything else from Japan '71...or any of the missing clubs shows...or anything from '71, probably their best year.

Copenhagen '79 would not be high on my list at all -- both audience recordings are pretty darn good and I think both shows are overrated.

As @JohnOsbourne says, 3/12/75 Long Beach is high on my list, as are the remaining missing '75 shows -- particularly 1/11 Rotterdam. A Providence (or Baltimore) '73 SBD would be high on my list as well, as would 6/22/77 or 6/26/77.

Excluding shows with no recording as of yet, which are obviously desirable no matter what year they're from IMO, I think the ultimate soundboard holy grail is 6/19/72 Seattle. To me, it has the largest disparity between sound and performance quality -- it's arguably second only to 9/19/70 E as far as their greatest shows, and its sound quality is pretty poor. You can get through it with seasoned bootleg ears for sure, but it's the show in most dire need of an upgrade IMO, not to mention the cuts -- particularly during the longest string of encores they ever did.

As far as your original question though, with the number of "holy grails" still out there and the speed at which they seem to be released, I doubt we will ever be satisfied.

Good point, I'd forgotten about Baltimore '73, a board of that show would be amazing (or even a better audience tape).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will be satisfied when the master recordings of every single soundboard ever recorded with Jimmy Page playing guitar in a public setting has been uploaded to a free public database website in 192kHz/32 bit quality with lower quality options available as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be satisfied with an all stereo 75 board, stereo on part of Page's bow solo and Bonzo  partially on Moby Dick is not sufficient for me. Mixing the 99% mono  MSG 75 to 5.1 was laughable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

I will be satisfied when the master recordings of every single soundboard ever recorded with Jimmy Page playing guitar in a public setting has been uploaded to a free public database website in 192kHz/32 bit quality with lower quality options available as well.

As the starting point. Freely available with any "taxation" applied to bootleg productions going DIRECTLY to the estate.

Win, win, win, WIN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

I will be satisfied when the master recordings of every single soundboard ever recorded with Jimmy Page playing guitar in a public setting has been uploaded to a free public database website in 192kHz/32 bit quality with lower quality options available as well.

Good evening, 🌛  
I’m a Detroit native and love hometown shows. Pics, Soundboards and tickets are what I desire. Some shows on top of my list.  

1)  01/31/1975 Olympia Stadium. Lots of awesome pics from that show are online. And a terrible audience recording. 

2)  07/13/1962 Cobo Hall. That was my 11th birthday and a little soundboard is out, but, I’d like to see the entire show. 
 

3).  04/30/1977 Pontiac Silverdome. My sister Sue got to got I did not. That’s when I was already a full blow Zeppelin Freak. This show was professionally recorded both video AND sound. There’s a couple pics out there where you can see a guy with an ENORMOUS video camera onstage recording Jimmy jamming. And the reports are that this show (which Jimmy talks about often) was Zeppelin at its peak on that tour. Jimmy talks about the world record of largest attendance to see just 1 band in an indoor stadium. He’s damn proud of that. JIMMY, PLEASE PUT THIS OUT ON BLUE-RAY. 
 

4)   And all other stops in Detroit that were soundboard recorded. Grande Ballroom, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, rschultz018 said:

1)  01/31/1975 Olympia Stadium. Lots of awesome pics from that show are online. And a terrible audience recording. 

I understand these things are subjective, but the tape for this show is generally regarded as a very good audience recording (I certainly think so).  It is a good show, probably the best of the January shows.  The band definitely liked playing in Detroit (e.g. the two '73 shows).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 6:52 AM, rschultz018 said:

 

3).  04/30/1977 Pontiac Silverdome. My sister Sue got to got I did not. That’s when I was already a full blow Zeppelin Freak. This show was professionally recorded both video AND sound. There’s a couple pics out there where you can see a guy with an ENORMOUS video camera onstage recording Jimmy jamming. And the reports are that this show (which Jimmy talks about often) was Zeppelin at its peak on that tour. Jimmy talks about the world record of largest attendance to see just 1 band in an indoor stadium. He’s damn proud of that. JIMMY, PLEASE PUT THIS OUT ON BLUE-RAY. 
 

 

I believe the video camera that guy is holding was for the feed to the massive video screen behand the band and was not  actually recording however I could be wrong. I am fairly positive though that the show does have a sound board recording and was possibly even multi-tracked. If so this show should be released. It was a really good show.

I would love a soundboard of Copenhagen 71' & Copenhagen 7-24-79 as well. They always played well in Copenhagen, must have been all the sex shows???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I am really holding out for the rest of Osaka 9/29/71. That to me will pretty much be the definite live Zeppelin show for me, well from the era lol. A soundboard from 1972 would be great, but pretty sure Jimmy keeps those tapes under his bed where they are "safe". Seattle 6/19/72...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am getting my hopes up for this new source for Sydney, Australia, 27th show. anyone heard if this source is an improvement over the previous? Great heavy show . . .  I'd  take that as a good step towards being satisfied, but would to be long-term- temporarily  satisfied if both nights of LA Forum 1971 would be discovered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...