your favorite book.. of all the time

Elizabeth.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

all other Jane Austin novels

Anna Karenina by Tolstoy

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I have read this book at least three times.

Abraham Lincoln by Benjamin Thomas. This book was very moving and made me cry at times.

Truman by David McCullough

:coffee:

• 5 years later...

"Theory of Money and Credit" 1912, if you really want to know what has caused the problems, and continues to causes the problems, read this, otherwise you don't really care:

attachicon.gifTheory of Money and Credit.jpg

I'm aware of this book, and I know it's highly respected. But for most people, the prospect of reading an economic treatise published more than a century ago doesn't hold much appeal.

I've aware of this book, and I know it's highly respected. But for most people, the prospect of reading an economic treatise published more than a century ago doesn't hold much appeal.

It really is worth reading, it provides clarity, and it's impossible to dispute which I think is one reason that even though a century later it still sells; and all kinds of high school and university kids keep discovering it - passing on the word about it from one generation to the next. It is to books what Zeppelin is to music. My great grandfather read it and it sort of worked its way through my family that way. Besides used record stores, I have a passion for used book shops as well!

The Scarlet Pimpernel

Gone With The Wind

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

These are great books/authors/films. I like Leslie Howard.

Harpo Speaks! by Harpo Marx

3477336.jpg

I read it years ago, when I was just a teenager and couldn't put it down. Very informative, but also very funny and sad.

who said Billy Joel was the first western entertainer in Russia? Harpo beat him by decades!

• 1 month later...

I kept searching for this thread, but now when I finally found it I realized how difficult this is! Like most of you, I should name many, but I don't want to make lists, lists are boring. Books come, they go, they find you at the right time or you throw them against the wall in frustration. I could name a few that comes to mind instantly:

Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse

Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

More to come...

Dune.

<3

Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. They're companion novels. You need both of them.

Ender's Shadow is better written, though.

So very, very good.

Tried very hard to get 2 of my kids to read it.

Unsuccessful. :(

i love all the "Bourne" series by robert ludlum

The Bourne Identity was my first true can't-put-it-down page-turner.

Huge Philip Roth fan too.

I have never laughed harder at the printed word than when reading Portnoy's Complaint.

For me -

The Dune series (all 6 of the original Frank Herbert canon, only; his son's mountain of worthless prequels and sequels are an abomination).

But if I had to pick one, I guess Heretics of Dune or God Emperor of Dune.

The Godfather - Mario Puzo

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Portnoy's Complaint - Philip Roth

The Saga of Pliocene Exile - Julian May (The Many-Colored Land; The Golden Torc; The Non-Born King; The Adversary)

The Dune series (all 6 of the original Frank Herbert canon, only; his son's mountain of worthless prequels and sequels are an abomination).

But if I had to pick one, I guess Heretics of Dune or God Emperor of Dune.

The first four Dune books are indeed great.

Part 5 and 6 are only food for the hardcore Dunophiles.

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Poetry and diaries of Anais Nin

Ulysses - James Joyce, with a fantastic translation to Finnish

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (I have many other favorites from him too)

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

Orlando - Virginia Woolf

Since Type-O is the only person that I've ever met who also did read all the Dune novels:

Is there anyone else here who read The Dark Tower by Stephen King?

I absolutely loved them all, great story which combines western, horror, sci-fi, fantasy and many other genres in one completely freaky story.

At one point some of the main characters even go back to June 23rd 1977 (but they end up in New York, which is too bad since Zeppelin played that historical concert in LA that day)

Archived